Misc Are we ready for the servers shutting down?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering our new knowledge of when the paid service on the Switch will start, I predict online play for the 3DS and the Wii U will cease roughly a year after that, in 2019. That's also right in the middle of when one would expect it to end based on the end of Nintendo WFC (see one of my old posts about hypothetical dates in relation to the Wii and DS).

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Well I'm just glad I have LumaCFW on my 3DS... But the 3DS did great throughout its life. It had a good line up of third party games, cool online features.. Just wish Nintendo had the money to keep these servers up.

My thoughts on the Wii U? Miiverse was the only reason Nintendo Network was a thing in the first place. And now it's pretty much useless besides using the internet browser

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm just glad I have LumaCFW on my 3DS... But the 3DS did great throughout its life. It had a good line up of third party games, cool online features.. Just wish Nintendo had the money to keep these servers up.

My thoughts on the Wii U? Miiverse was the only reason Nintendo Network was a thing in the first place. And now it's pretty much useless besides using the internet browser
People used MiiVerse?

D

Deleted User

I mean we're okay with Miiverse replacements amirite? We've got a lot of choices:

Foxverse
Ciiverse
Closedverse
Openverse
Grape
Cedar
Ziiverse

And the my personal favorite...

MV Haven
^^What a joke :rofl2:

Last edited by ,

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wish Nintendo had the money to keep these servers up.

Nintendo have got the money to keep their servers up and running. They turn them off to force users to buy the new thing. Being basically forced to buy the new system to play online isn't for me. Example, they shut down Mario Kart Wii to force users to upgrade to buy the WiiU, even though most were satisfied with the original Wii. Don't ever say these big companies don't have the money, they clearly do have billions more than the dudes running MKWii servers from their bedroom. No excuses.
WiiU online better not shut down ever, only feels like a few months since I had to get the thing. I'm gonna write to Nintendo soon and you should do the same. I don't even own a switch yet and with news of a subscription I don't plan on buying one any time soon. I hope it gets hacked wide open before xmas, f em

Last edited by |<roni&g,

Superman321

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR!

Also then the Online funcionality from 3DS Must also be shutdown then

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR!

Also then the Online funcionality from 3DS Must also be shutdown then
*sigh*
Don't bump old threads unless you have something useful to say.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One year to the day....
The eShop isn't going anywhere anytime soon, because it's a direct source of money. After all, the Wii Shop Channel is still around.

I should note that the end of the Wii U and the 3DS are closely following the same timelines for the ends of the GBA, DS, GameCube, and Wii:
  • A Zelda release at or just before the release of the successor console:
    • Twilight Princess on the GameCube (simultaneous release with successor console)
    • Skyward Sword on the Wii
    • Breath of the Wild on the Wii U (simultaneous release with successor console)
  • A Pokémon remake released just before or just after the release of the successor handheld:
    • Pokémon Emerald on the GBA (just before release of successor handheld)
    • Pokémon BW2 on the DS (after release of successor handheld)
    • Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon on the 3DS (after release of successor handheld)
  • New models released just before or just after the successor in order to get rid of spare parts:
    • Game Boy Advance SP released just before successor
    • Game Boy Micro released just after successor
    • N2DS released just after successor
    • Wii Family Edition released just before successor
    • Wii Mini released just after successor
Nintendo WFC for the DS and the Wii was discontinued on May 20, 2014:
  • About 8.5 years after the service started on the Nintendo DS.
  • About 7.5 years after the service started on the Wii.
  • About 3.2 years after the release of the 3DS.
  • About 1.5 years after the release of the Wii U.
Hypothetical dates:
  • About 8.5 years after NN service started on the 3DS: July, 2020
  • About 7.5 years after the NN service started on the Wii U: May, 2020
  • About 3.2 years after the release of the Switch: May, 2020
  • About 1.5 years after the release of the Switch: September, 2018
That puts the likely end times at either 2018 or 2020. Considering the Switch's likely role as a 3DS successor as well as a Wii U successor, and the shifting model to a paid subscription service on the Switch, I suspect 2018 is when NN will be shut down.

dmdsoftware

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

2020 is not that far away. Nearly 6 months from now. Also, Wii eshop was pulled earlier this year. The WiiU online gaming will be next to go.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2020 is not that far away. Nearly 6 months from now. Also, Wii eshop was pulled earlier this year. The WiiU online gaming will be next to go.
Based on my data above, I suspect Wii U and 3DS online play will be shutdown about 12 months from now, since my hypothetical dates are all around summer time.

dmdsoftware

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've looked around and I was shocked there isn't anyone archiving the Mario Maker levels. Would be nice if there was a mod download to load sets of levels to Mario Maker, to make the product functional after the death of online.

puffycheeks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's actually an interesting calculation of things. To be fair though the only reason WFC was shut down was due to GameSpy(a bad decision to rely on other companies for your service hosting instead of BYO) being shutdown by IGN's owner or N would've kept it alive a bit longer.

Last edited by puffycheeks,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Well that's actually an interesting calculation of things. To be fair though the only reason WFC was shut down was due to GameSpy(a bad decision to rely on other companies for your service hosting instead of BYO) being shutdown by IGN's owner or N would've kept it alive a bit longer.

There is something I don't understand. The Wii's online system is peer-to-peer. Why do we even need online servers? The Wiimmfi crowd uses their own servers, I take it?

If Nintendo really shuts down all of the Wii U functionality, then the games will be day one versions if you want to use your disk on another system... think of Smash Bros. There is no official way to transfer updates/DLC.

At least the two Call of Duty games should still be up at that point.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
There is something I don't understand. The Wii's online system is peer-to-peer. Why do we even need online servers? The Wiimmfi crowd uses their own servers, I take it?
Actual gameplay is peer to peer, but matchmaking is handled by a server.

Tur7L3

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I don't see them closing the servers anytime soon, no particular reasonr justja thought I have.
I mean yeah, the limited version of the eShop was closed in many countries, (or will be? there's not much time yet)
but I think you could only buy VC in those.
However, Nintendo seemed really confident about Switch Online and ifif t next service is also paid, they will probably use similar resources to keep that server up so both are alive. Maybe they'll change the name of it and it will be Nintendo's official internet service by then.

But I thought the same about Nintendo Network, maybe because they will just make a totally different online service for any new console, shutting down any older one earlier compared to other companies, (WFC situation, for example, which got closed earlier cause it was designed held by a service that idontknow) but my thought is the first one. Anyways Nintendo Network is still up by now so we should be grateful, especially considering the fact of how the WiiU failed and Nintendo however still doesn't lets its services down. Good for them because it is a great console

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche