Are we at the end of the pre-owned market?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by legendofphil, Nov 13, 2008.

Nov 13, 2008
  1. legendofphil
    OP

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Gears of War 2 came with a one off code to unlock 5 additional maps and now WiiSpeak comes with a one off code to install the application.
    Is this future? Games will come with some sort of code that only works once to stop the pre-owned market.

The pre-owned market is a very profitable segment of the industry, so much so that HMV has started a pre-owned section in their stores and their are also stores devoted to pre-owned games.
    On the other hand its revenue that is lost to the developers (well publishers in most cases), should they be entitled to that money.

2. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Yeah, it's only a matter of time before we all have accounts against our name for every console just like Steam. I don't tend to bother with pre-owned stuff now anyway, I haven't bought pre-owned for years!

3. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    you know how many cheap games i have brought buying second hand stuff? plus i sometimes cant afford to buy games brand new anyway, much older games you can't buy brand new anymore.

edit: and hmv's trade in prices are disgusting, just as bad as GAME imo.

4. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    to be honest, just look at the second hand pc game market.... that is where consoles are heading