Are video games just not fun anymore?

Deleted member 546149

OP
Trophies
XP
Video games just don't feel fun anymore, it just feels stressful and like an extra step for me. I don't really know, I don't play games besides basic mobile games like Jetpack Joyride etc, anyone else feel the same?

Reactions: Lostbhoy

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
everything is relative to something , so it'll always depends of whats happening in your life , it may just not fit the style you are curently going through , maybe it doesnt mix well so it feel off . then there is the envy of playing witch usually come with something you anticipate so much but for those to be you need to be deep into something related to it . its all emotions driving you with what you think

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe it's not your thing anymore, I enjoy myself very much on every game I play. Sometimes I play an oldie, sometimes I play something that just came out, it's always fun in both case. If you enjoy yourself with mobile game (the only type of game I absolutely can't play : fun is subjective), that's your thing right now. It don't mean it won't change in the future though.

The thing that I find not fun in modern video game : achievement/success/trophy. Nintendo has it right on that question : the game should give you an award for certain achievement, preferably usable IN the game, it shouldn't be a notif on the firmware of the system.

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Video games just don't feel fun anymore, it just feels stressful and like an extra step for me. I don't really know, I don't play games besides basic mobile games like Jetpack Joyride etc, anyone else feel the same?
Yes, I feel the same. It started with the hollywoodism in games. There is no need for games being a replacement for movies, both are fine. And also I don't need lowest common denominator mass selling productions. Of course there is variety and if you look closely you will find something for you, but in general for me the spirit is gone. Same for movies and music. They need to let new/different talent taking charge a bit more to bring fresh winds and bring a little sunshine into pop culture in general.

Reactions: Maximumbeans

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My tastes have changed, certainly. But that's the nature of games: the fun is in the learning. I've had my bunch of shooters, platformers, story driven games.I'm now mostly into puzzle games and(virtual) board games.

The only difference i find now between when i was young is that the trade off for better graphics has been a loss of depth. So the limelight is on games that are the equivalent of Michael Bay movies: explosions, emotions and recycled gameplay.
Now i don't ask to reinvent the wheel, but there are still plenty of incredibly good gems being made.
(hint: try dominion if you want a good free to play game)

soyboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't feel the same way. I play games because I enjoy them. There are times in the past where I have taken a break from gaming because I wasn't having fun.

CloudStrife190100

HaxCommunity
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IDK what you guys are talking about, gaming rules. I've been spending a lot of time playing Ghost Recon Wildlands and Destiny 2 with my girlfriend and it's been a blast.

Played Destiny / Destiny 2 nearly every day since it was released years ago. Now I'm burnt out and can't be bothered with the game at all. I don't agree with buying the same old reskinned content over and over again and then they remove content from the game that i and others previously paid for. Scummy tactics in my opinion. Definitely lost custom from me 🤣

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
VIdeo games are just one of several entertainment options, and entertainment takes a small portion of your life. Try new things, don't get stuck into something you stopped enjoying. And if you continue playing videogames, think about what made you stop enjoying the games you previously enjoyed, and look for other genres that give you what you haven't gotten.

I believe gaming has become stale, it's been the same experience for decades, publishers and gamers have been risk averse to really dive into new possibilities. That might contribute to that common feeling of lack of fun. This is, like, the 50th thread I've seen where someone asks why videogames aren't fun anymore.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From personal experience, I'd say you need something else to occupy your time. Not all of it, but just some of it.
The problem with videogames is that they can very easily become something you do just because it's what you've always done, and when you're playing them by rote, the fun easily drains away.

You don't need to give them up but I would advise looking for new ways to explore yourself and interact with the world. Try a new creative pastime or a sport or something. When you feel the pull back to playing videogames, you can answer that in your own time.

Me, I've fallen back in love with gaming by exploring old titles I never got to play back in the day. I have a kid (soon to be two) and a marriage these days so I don't have the serious time I used to have for gaming, so smaller chunks of games that still hook my interest are ideal. Hacking my 3DS has been like twelve Christmases worth of excitement for me.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
Time to take a break and try other hobbies for a bit.

Can I interest you in collected comic collections as omnibuses and OHC? That will take care of your extra income for a while.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Because a lot of games are the same. They don't try to do anything different. Always aiming for the safe bet.

That's why I look more to Indie games now days. They seem to try to risk it.
Take for example the latest Fire Emblem Warriors. They take already established characters, try to write some kind of crap story and paste the same tired old warrior formula. I try to enjoy it but I just can't at the moment.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When i get burnt out I usually force myself to not even have access to video games for a few weeks by staying off of the computer. I was on a hiatus with playing anything for about 6 months where i'd only play Team Fortress for about an hour every other week and now I'm finally getting interested in everything again. The heart definitely grows fonder in absence, having easy entertainment a click away just makes you less likely to utilize or crave it

Reactions: Willgheminass

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
im getting older, had to focus on other things which matter more in my life: such as money, job, relationship, and on healthy, simply can't draw any enjoyment anymore from any games......

All sort of things require a full rational energy&time investment, just don't have enough left to play games, forget those E-sport game, filled with energetic toxic kids.

Guess many people have my same thoughts, the only games i enjoy is Mario game, cauz all level are short and easy to beat, the music is also relaxing.

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of new games aren't designed to be fun, they are designed to be addicting and habit forming. Watch out for those. There's a list of which bad techniques each game uses: https://www.darkpattern.games/

There are more great games now than at any point in history. With the right emulator, all the old games can be played in glorious 4k, and with enough searching, you can find the gems that are still being released. Figuring out what to play is difficult though. A lot of times I'll just browse my Steam library for 30 minutes and then just go to sleep early. There are apps for managing that though.

During the pandemic, I did start to get bored with gaming in general when it was the only thing to do. Now I'm back to enjoying it since there are other things I do too.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pffft, have you played Shredder's Revenge??? Looooooadsa fun!

But I guess even that kinda backs up your claim since tmnt is still a 90s game in every way so can it count towards a contemporary argument? It's new but... It's not! Still, loadsa fun tho!

Reactions: Kraken_X

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16