Are torrents safe?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by JJBro1, May 14, 2008.

May 14, 2008

Are torrents safe? by JJBro1 at 4:00 AM (6,331 Views / 0 Likes) 73 replies

1. JJBro1
    OP

Member JJBro1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I usually just download the .wad or the rom, i really don't feel comfortable downloading torrents and dealing with them even though i never had. So what are torrents, are they safe? can you get viruses and spyware even more? Could i always delete the program?

2. idunnoilikends

Member idunnoilikends GBAtemp Fan

United States
    most of the time torrents are safer.
    Because you choose the exact files you download.
    I love torrents, there alot faster

use utorrnet

3. JJBro1
    OP

United States
    is it like limewire?

4. idunnoilikends

Member idunnoilikends GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No LIGHTYEARS safer

5. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    It's nothing like limewire... and if you are using limewire right now, thats about as unsafe as it gets...

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    download the 716kb file for mega fun in limewire :3

7. Trulen

Member Trulen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You can always run a virus scanner on the downloaded files (not the torrent files).

I've never come across a virus, unless it was a really dodgey file (the things you do for free programs D: ).

Though I can't say I've come across a single virus'd movie or music file. Never ever ever.

This is talking about torrents, anywho.

Stray away from limewire, though.

8. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    I use them often. Just scan the files EVERY TIME before you open your files. Then you should be okay.

As Trulen said, STAY AWAY from Limewire - virus magnet!!

9. JJBro1
    OP

United States
    ya i dont have limewire so i guess ima download utorrent now

10. bobfernando

Newcomer bobfernando Member

United States
    An AVG Free Edition virus scan a day keeps those pesky viruses away!

Get the free edition at http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-trial

You will want to get the AVG Anti-Virus not the AVG Internet Security. Keep up the seeding!

11. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    In my experience torrents are unsafe and can give you virus. I suggest you reformat.

12. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Running Peerguardian (link below) while you run torrents is an excellent way to ensure your safety. It blocks certain IPs from connecting to your PC. Careful though, it also blocks Steam and certain other online games.

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

13. Shinster

Member Shinster GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    quoted for truth.

14. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Yes, what you really want is ED2K

15. sosodef

Member sosodef GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well I've been using utorrent for at least a good year, and this happened to me just 2 months ago. I downloaded a movie Torrent, and downloaded the movie, but didn't watch it yet, and the next day when I woke up my internet was not working, so about an hour later I checked my internet and it was still out, so I looked outside, just to see if my cable company was working on my street, but I didn't see a truck. So I called my cable company and the operator tells me that my internet was shut off because of an illegal download, I was like "WHAT", she said that their was a file (and she named off that movie I downloaded) that was an illegal download, needless to say I played stupid and said It was NOT me, she asked if I had a secured router, I told her I'm not sure. Then she said as long as I did not download and if it was on my computer to delete it, then she'll connect my internet, and about 2 minutes later my connection came back on.

But I WAS SHOCKED, can't believe my ass got busted, so I only download illegally when necessary, which is not too often.

So just beware of some torrents.

sosodef

16. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    Woah, that's scary, sosodef. That's just wrong... What they did.

17. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Peerguardian is useless by the way. It doesn't work and if anything, ot blocks legitimate IPs due to people feeding it false data to make the blacklist database useless. If anything, Peerguardian slows down your computer and downloads.

What Peerguardian does is block people with certain IPs from connecting to your computer, sounds like that would protect you right? Wrong, what the RIAA, MPAA, ect do is simply search for files they are covering in their lawsuits and gets a list of IPs returned by the server for those files. They don't need to connect directly to you because the server sends them all the info they need. Like your IP, the File your uploading/downloading, ect. Then they take that information to your ISP and get your personal information, poof, they know who you are.

So all Peerguardian does is give people a false sense of security, I know people who use Peerguardian religiously believing it will protect them but still got Cease and Desist letters sent to them about files they downloaded or shared. The only sure fire way to protect your self is not to pirate stuff, otherwise there will always be a way for them to find out what your doing.

At any rate, to go back on topic, Torrents (Not the .torrent files, but the actual files they point to) are no safer then any other file you download. They can still contain viruses, Malware, Spyware, ect. You still should scan them with a virus scanner like any other download after they are finished downloading. Though I will say this, most often then not, high seeded files are usually safe to download to the peer review system. Basicly each seeder has to already download and still have that file to seed. So if many people still have that file, its most likely safe. Though you should still scan the files or get a virus scanner that actively scan the files automatically as they get downloaded.

18. JJBro1
    OP

United States
    so both of you are saying its unsafe? Its using utorrent about as safe as downloading a normal rom?

19. JJBro1
    OP

United States
    but is the program itself safe?

20. sosodef

Member sosodef GBAtemp Regular

United States
    also days after, I read that Universal Studio's set up fake movie torrents and caught the people (me included) and forced our cable company to disconnect our cable or they would sue them, so it's a scare tactic, but believe me it worked on me!!!

So that's why I love newsgroups now!!