Homebrew Are these good ideas for Homebrew ports?

Mr.Mister

OP
Trophies
Website
forum.72dpiarmy.com
XP
Country
United States
Basically, homebrew port brainstorming. I'll put a rating of 1-10 on likeliness of being created and released.

Realistic (Can be done.)
-DiabloDS [7] (Blizzard might get in the way again.)
-StarcraftDS [7] (Blizzard might get in the way again.)
-Warcraft2DS [6] (Blizzard might get in the way.)
-WarcraftDS [4] (Blizzard might get in the way.)
-SMRPG DS [1] (Due to the lack of any compatibility in SNES emulators, a homebrew port is the only way to go without Squeenix support.)
-Street Fighter Alpha3 [3] (Might take a few tweaks to the engine.)
-Marvel vs. Capcom DS [3] (Tweaks to the engine. Full vertical fighting game.)

Unrealistic (Impossible without major engine changes.)
-Zelda: Ocarina of Time DS [.8] (Take out the lighting system, Night/Day needs different coding, alter all texture sizes, deflate polygon count, rebuild code.)

-Warcraft3DS [.5] (Same as Zelda.)

-Sonic Adventure DS [.2] (Good luck to anyone willing to downgrade a Dreamcast game.)

-Gears of War DS [.4] (Could mod the Brothers in Arms DS engine...)

-MegaMan 9 DS [9] (This one is actually pretty possible... if you'd like to rebuild the entire game and dodge legal folk.)

-Paper Mario DS [.9] (Same as Zelda... but easier I would think.)

kikaimaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mr.Mister said:
Basically, homebrew port brainstorming. I'll put a rating of 1-10 on likeliness of being created and released.

Realistic (Can be done.)
-DiabloDS [7] (Blizzard might get in the way again.)
-StarcraftDS [7] (Blizzard might get in the way again.)
-Warcraft2DS [6] (Blizzard might get in the way.)
-WarcraftDS [4] (Blizzard might get in the way.)
-SMRPG DS [1] (Due to the lack of any compatibility in SNES emulators, a homebrew port is the only way to go without Squeenix support.)

-Street Fighter Alpha3 [3] (Might take a few tweaks to the engine.)

-Marvel vs. Capcom DS [3] (Tweaks to the engine. Full vertical fighting game.)
Lol there is a diablo2DS, but it is in a very early Alpha, http://www.playeradvance.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26367
Starcraft - there was starlite,but didn't get to far.
Warcraft2DS - 3 Words. Warcraft TowerDefense DS
WarcraftDS - look above.
SMRPG - SNES EMULATOR.
SFA3 - Possible.
MVCDS - Interesting. Could be done.

Mr.Mister

OP
Trophies
Website
forum.72dpiarmy.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that link!
smile.gif

StarLite was good, I hope someone has the balls to restart a new Starcraft project.
Yes I know about WarcraftTD. I meant a traditional Warcraft game.
SMRPG... No SNES emulator out there on the DS is compatible with any version of the SMRPG rom.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
warcraft 1 and 2 might be very feasible, as long as they implement a unit cap (which was the main problem for it then--too many units and it lags like hell), since it's sprite-based and the engine seems pretty simple enough. starcraft is also sprite-based, but i don't know. maybe a lower cap limit and optimized graphics? i'd like to see that on the DS.

xxRAG3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-DiabloDS [7] (Blizzard might get in the way again.) - Yes they would
-StarcraftDS [7] (Blizzard might get in the way again.) - Yes they would
-Warcraft2DS [6] (Blizzard might get in the way.) - Yes they would
-WarcraftDS [4] (Blizzard might get in the way.) -Yes they would
-SMRPG DS [1] (Due to the lack of any compatibility in SNES emulators, a homebrew port is the only way to go without Squeenix support.) - I don't know about that
wink.gif

-Street Fighter Alpha3 [3] (Might take a few tweaks to the engine.) - impossible, the game would freeze or look ugly as a motherfucked because, lets face it, the ds can't handle that.
-Marvel vs. Capcom DS [3] (Tweaks to the engine. Full vertical fighting game.) - Same as above.

Unrealistic (Impossible without major engine changes.)
-Zelda: Ocarina of Time DS [.8] (Take out the lighting system, Night/Day needs different coding, alter all texture sizes, deflate polygon count, rebuild code.)
- I would love to see this, but it would be extremely hard to make (Homebrews should/have to have 3 MB top size. Otherwise they don't work with the Card. You could though, make a different homebrew for every dungeon, or do it Warcraft Def style where the homebrew has physics plugged in, and runs the maps you dl)
-Warcraft3DS [.5] (Same as Zelda.)
- Same as well
-Sonic Adventure DS [.2] (Good luck to anyone willing to downgrade a Dreamcast game.)
- This would be kind of easy to do. (The games short, and very simple)
-Gears of War DS [.4] (Could mod the Brothers in Arms DS engine...)
- Yes, but it would look as ugly as your mother.
-MegaMan 9 DS [9] (This one is actually pretty possible... if you'd like to rebuild the entire game and dodge legal folk.)
- Maybe if you used the engine from the other DS megaman games ( I can't remember the name )
-Paper Mario DS [.9] (Same as Zelda... but easier I would think.)
- Paper Mario RPG or platformer. Platformer would be harrrrd. RPG is much easier to do and i would enjoy playing that.

Woot, spent 15 minutes.

anandjones

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
xxRAG3 said:
-Marvel vs. Capcom DS [3] (Tweaks to the engine. Full vertical fighting game.) - Same as above.2D perhaps (like the PS2 versions)? Go play a Bleach Game (very nice engine). Very possible.

QUOTE(xxRAG3 @ Feb 12 2009, 03:19 AM) Unrealistic (Impossible without major engine changes.)
- I would love to see this, but it would be extremely hard to make (Homebrews should/have to have 3 MB top size. Otherwise they don't work with the Card. You could though, make a different homebrew for every dungeon, or do it Warcraft Def style where the homebrew has physics plugged in, and runs the maps you dl)
Use EFS. Also, the Day and Night thing could be based on the internal clock, however this would actually be really gay, since you'd have to play at night or change the clock to a night hour to get a certain skulltula or tasks you can only do at night (etc.).

Mr.Mister

OP
Trophies
Website
forum.72dpiarmy.com
XP
Country
United States
Well anandjones, I meant by change day/night coding as in all the lighting in the change in time of day needs to be recoded because it would be a little tough to do all that in 4 MB ram, although real time clock would be kinda cool. Zelda OoT DS would probably have roughly the same graphics level of QuakeDS...

anoNL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mr.Mister said:
Well anandjones, I meant by change day/night coding as in all the lighting in the change in time of day needs to be recoded because it would be a little tough to do all that in 4 MB ram, although real time clock would be kinda cool.
The N64 also had 4MB RAM...

Also, lighting changes are free since they're calculated on the GPU. Changing the lighting doesn't cost any memory either.

Mr.Mister

OP
Trophies
Website
forum.72dpiarmy.com
XP
Country
United States
Too bad I don't know jack squat about coding. Otherwise I'd try to start the Zelda project myself. Hopefully some uber programmer out there reads this and is generous and hard working enough to do this. He would be a god among programmers.

osimonbinladen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Sadly, it would be a billion times easier if Nintendo just did it.
That way they would have the source to work off.
But yeah, if someone did do it, they would be legendary!

Purses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic is useless unless you plan on porting these. Obviously any of these games would be good ports, but no one is going to do anything about it because of this topic, just people dreaming about games that will most likely never be ported.

jeffro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.fakegaming.eu
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mr.Mister said:
Well anandjones, I meant by change day/night coding as in all the lighting in the change in time of day needs to be recoded because it would be a little tough to do all that in 4 MB ram, although real time clock would be kinda cool. Zelda OoT DS would probably have roughly the same graphics level of QuakeDS...

Zelda OOT Runs on the same engine as Mario 64 Right?

So if you had the source it could easily be converted, maybe lack of buttons would be hard
tongue.gif

Mr.Mister

OP
Trophies
Website
forum.72dpiarmy.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, you could use (X) (Y) (L)  to replace the  buttons... (A) and (B) would be fine where they are... control pad for the obvious... Start for pause, Select for Save, and the touch screen for the old start menus!

Damn I really want a port, homebrew or otherwise.

CreX

Trophies
Website
backloggery.com
XP
Country
The thought of Z being portet as a NDS homebrew gives me wet dreams (almost)

- wiki url for info -

EDIT: Ohh... missed the topic. Thought it was more of a discussion about what game ppl would love to see on the DS. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi +1