Gaming Are there two "versions" of Donkey Kong Country Returns?

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
OP
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Upon browsing GBAtemp's discussions of the recently-released Wii title Donkey Kong Country Returns, I came across a few posts speaking of a "version 1" and a "version 2". Supposedly, depending on what version of this game you have, some inconsistencies can arise, such as Ocarina codes only working for a certain version, for example.

I've attached an example of someone talking of this "version 1" and "version 2" (courtesy of Misteromar ;) ).

While it's not entirely unheard of for game companies to release different versions of the same game due to bugfixes or rereleases, I find it odd that a game would have different versions this early after its release.

I at first thought these users were referring to different region releases or the title, such as NTSC and PAL, however this doesn't seem to be the case.

My question is this... Why are there different versions of this game? Of what importance is this? And furthermore, has this happened with other titles?

In short, I'm simply pitifully confused about this whole "version" thing. If someone could shed some light on the matter, I'd be forever grateful. :)

http://gbatemp.net/t266085-donkey-kong-country-returns?view=findpost&p=3291053

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
My best guesses are:

1. A pre-release version of the game, i.e. a launch party version, as opposed to the in-store version

2. A bug-fix or removal version (should I even mention Black Coffee?) of the game, as opposed to the in-store version

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended