Are there SNES or N64 flashcarts?

maduin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A cart that looks like a SNES game cartridge, but has flash memory on it so you can put your games or ROMS on it so that you can access all your SNES games without ever having to remove the cartridge from the system?

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are SNES and N64 backup devices that let you play ROMs on your console.

For instance the Z64 for the N64 or the Super Wildcard (maybe I have the name wrong) for the SNES. Z64 uses zip disks, the SNES ones use floppy disks and can store a few ROMs in its flash memory.

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
They used to sell them pretty regularly in Japan - seriously. My husband has one for the SNES that was made by Nintendo. There was a service where you could go to a store and have them backup your cartridge into the special one (that held 10 to 15 games) for a small fee. There was no way to check whose game it really was, so friends would borrow friends` games, etc and collect a bunch in it. You could also pick up an *unofficial* link thing and connect it to the PC and put ROMs on it.

Of course, it all ended somewhere along the line... Although I still imagine they`re still out there somewhere.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I would advise you to spend money on a good PC controller or *insert your favorite of all time gamepad here*-to-USB adapter, as it would be cheaper for your endeavour. The modded Xbox is a good choice, as well, if you don't have a TV-out on your computer (which, I guess, would be your primary reason for wanting to replay your games on the original console).

Plus, you can't play online with the real deal, which is one of the bonuses you get using emulators!
smile.gif

HenkZw

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i would never suggest a neoflash even to my worse enemy.

best solution. is buy a modded xbox.

it will be cheaper and less hastle.

Hi Hunter,
I am currently waiting for Neoflash to release something for
SNES. What are your reasons for not liking Neoflash ?
(The other SNES cartridge option is Tototek).
I would really prefer to use (mostly) SNES hardware.

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hi Hunter,
I am currently waiting for Neoflash to release something for
SNES. What are your reasons for not liking Neoflash ?
(The other SNES cartridge option is Tototek).
I would really prefer to use (mostly) SNES hardware.

well the quality of their hardware is cheap. plastic loves to break. since it's so weak.
and compatibility isnt a good thing for them

noctrex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Unfortunately, there is no good backup solution for all those legacy consoles we all once (and still) loved, I've been searching a lot for them, for N64, SNES, MegaDrive (Genesis), SMS, but to no avail or some very outdated solutions, based on zip drives or floppys, the ones mentioned before by DeVante.
for N64 check this out: http://n64.icequake.net/
or this one: http://www.wanfear.com/~rocksha/copiers.htm

I don't like card with internal soldered memory, the best thing is memory cards.
Maybe if we can get enough people, we could send mails to the supercard or M3 etc etc teams to develop a SD memory based backup solution for the older consoles?

S

Solidstate

I've got a Dr V64 Jr 512 for the N64. It can be uploaded to from a PC via Parallel cable or via a device plugged into my chipped Sony PS1. I put the roms on CDR and then using an onscreen menu on the PS1 choose the one to transfer to the N64 - It can take a few minutes to transfer a large game from CD to the Cart but it saves you having to have the N64 next to a PC.
Cost me a small fortune at the time and sat in a box now.

Now if only someone would make a Virtual Boy flash cart - then I'd be the happiest man alive - I'd finally get the chance to play Virtual Bowling. The original carts go for up to £1000 every now and then on Ebay.

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
The European SNES is by far the most stylish!
rolleyes.gif
laugh.gif

Anyway, I remember these funny extensions as well. They were expensive, cumbersome and Super (yes, this is a pun) Ugly. But they could play roms, so that made up for their insufficiencies right?
happy.gif

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The European SNES is by far the most stylish!Â
rolleyes.gif
Â
laugh.gif

Anyway, I remember these funny extensions as well. They were expensive, cumbersome and Super (yes, this is a pun) Ugly. But they could play roms, so that made up for their insufficiencies right?
happy.gif
Not really. I borrowed the device that looks like the ond ndsstuff posted from my friend. It was annoying having to spend a while cutting down the SNES rom to fit on a floppy disc and the loading it all on the SNES and then discovering games that need the SF chip doesn't work. I'm loving my Snes emulator on my Xbox.

maduin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would advise you to spend money on a good PC controller or *insert your favorite of all time gamepad here*-to-USB adapter, as it would be cheaper for your endeavour. The modded Xbox is a good choice, as well, if you don't have a TV-out on your computer (which, I guess, would be your primary reason for wanting to replay your games on the original console).

Plus, you can't play online with the real deal, which is one of the bonuses you get using emulators!
smile.gif

I have a good pc controller and a tv out, but there's nothing better than sitting next to a friend and playing on an actual SNES console with actual SNES controllers the exact way it was intended to be played.

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
The European SNES is by far the most stylish! 
rolleyes.gif
 Â
laugh.gif

happy.gif

Not really. I borrowed the device that looks like the ond ndsstuff posted from my friend. It was annoying having to spend a while cutting down the SNES rom to fit on a floppy disc and the loading it all on the SNES and then discovering games that need the SF chip doesn't work. I'm loving my Snes emulator on my Xbox.

Haha... yeah in this day there's no SNES hack device beating the emulator on my Xbox
cool.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple