Are there games you find fun but not challenging?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's just get this out the way first. Challenge and fun is both subjective opinions. It means that what one person find a challenge or fun may not be the same for other people. This may be hard to believe but it's true. The reason why is because everyone has their own level of skill or excitement. So while there is games out there designed with the intention of "Give players a challenge that allows them to feel satisfaction when they overcome it" or "This game is accessible to all players so no one is left out"

I'm curious to know what games some of you find fun without being challenging. If such games exist for you. If you have any games like this, share some here. :)

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let's just get this out the way first. Challenge and fun is both subjective opinions. It means that what one person find a challenge or fun may not be the same for other people. This may be hard to believe but it's true. The reason why is because everyone has their own level of skill or excitement. So while there is games out there designed with the intention of "Give players a challenge that allows them to feel satisfaction when they overcome it" or "This game is accessible to all players so no one is left out"

I'm curious to know what games some of you find fun without being challenging. If such games exist for you. If you have any games like this, share some here. :)
Any Kirby Game
Any Yoshi Game
Pretty Much Any JRPG of the last 15 years

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any kind of game where you can grind beyond what the game expects of you. Stuff like Pokemon, JRPGs, modern Fire Emblem games. Been playing a LOAD of Disgaea 5 lately and I love how enabling it is in over the top grinding and big stat numbers lol

D

Deleted User

Fire Emblem Warriors was fun without many challenging missions. New Super Mario Bros. U was fun without challenging me much. Normally I like games which are challenging without being ridiculously tough like Donkey Kong Country: Returns and Tropical Freeze.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
On average, I'd say about half the games I play. My job's challenging enough, so I often play games to wind down and relax. Hmm...okay: on closer inspection, it's more like one game in five or ten. Depends on whether or not it's a little challenging or not.

Let's check my favorites of the last few years...
-sproggiwood
-isle of skye (okay: perhaps if I'd play on hard difficulty mode. I don't).
-doki doki literature club
-hidden folks
-reigns: game of thrones
-tsuro
-le havre: inland port (either the AI really sucks or I'm just way too good at it...I don't have much of a reference to compare)
-monument valley 1&2
-steamworld dig
-epistory: typing chronicles
-infinity loop
-parkitect (on sandbox mode)

I'll take a stab at it and say that most if not all walking simulators and visual novels aren't very challenging as a gamer. That doesn't mean they don't have other redeeming qualities.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
im not sure i agree with this one, while the base of the game was simple have you seen this ... ► 15:55

edit: there was supposed to be a video in the spoiler .
2nd edit: oh well at least there is still a link
You said it: the base of the game was simple. I haven't watched the entire linked movie, but TBH if there is some sort of super-hidden strange secret ending-after-the-true ending hidden, then more power to it, I guess*. I'm talking about fun games that aren't challenging. Quite some games do what I would describe as "throwing out a challenge for the heck of it". You know what I'm talking about: the steam awards you get when you finish the game in under one microsecond, only use the directional pad or beat a level by only touching the controller with your nostrils. If you ask me, that doesn't change the challenge of the game...it's just a check box for completionists.

* on that note:
I really hope this isn't about Monika being the ultimate evil witch. That hint to delete one of the game's files couldn't be more clear. It's interesting and innovating, yes. But challenging? Not at all.

Reactions: wormdood

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you got a good point . . . i will go back to my corner now
I really hope this isn't about Monika being the ultimate evil witch. That hint to delete one of the game's files couldn't be more clear. It's interesting and innovating, yes. But challenging? Not at all.
its deeper than that and if any one of them is the ultimate evil anything its yuri, monika if anything she should be the hero . . . but thats the theme of the game anyhow ... ERRORS

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like others have mentioned, Kirby games. I'd also include games like Fragile Dreams which are much more exploration and story focused. Having said that, I grew up with "NES hard" games so I was used to playing challenging games without really even thinking in terms of "Give players a challenge that allows them to feel satisfaction when they overcome it". It was more, "here's a game and just keep playing it until you win". The games I tend to have fond memories of are, I'd tend to say, the ones that seemed to have fun mechanics; often that came with challenge, but then I still like Kirby games so it's not totally that.

Reactions: Deleted User

ginger_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last game I've played was Gris. It was unforgettable beautiful and relaxing, but not challenging at all. I had to move forward and admire. No fear that I'll lose, no desire to do my best.

fiis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spiderman, it was easy to just do your thing. GOW was difficult at first because it took me a while to realize I needed to apply armor and such in order to level up.

Dani Dandelion

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Miitopia wasn't challenging, because it was entirely focused on delivering a fun experience.

Semi-related, Tomodachi Life and Animal Crossing, as they're chill by nature. Who needs ~gamer cred~ when you can cause traumatic break-ups for your Miis, and mail axes to your neighbors all day?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I rarely play games "for the challenge" (except maybe higher-speeds Tetris), mainly to just see the worlds (which also is the main reason I drive for fun IRL)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night