Are there games you find fun but not challenging?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Let's just get this out the way first. Challenge and fun is both subjective opinions. It means that what one person find a challenge or fun may not be the same for other people. This may be hard to believe but it's true. The reason why is because everyone has their own level of skill or excitement. So while there is games out there designed with the intention of "Give players a challenge that allows them to feel satisfaction when they overcome it" or "This game is accessible to all players so no one is left out"

I'm curious to know what games some of you find fun without being challenging. If such games exist for you. If you have any games like this, share some here. :)

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Easy 1000G games, some are not fun neither.

3. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Any Kirby Game
    Any Yoshi Game
    Pretty Much Any JRPG of the last 15 years

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N and Seliph like this.
  4. Scarlet

Scarlet In Memoriam of Mag Staff Mouse

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Any kind of game where you can grind beyond what the game expects of you. Stuff like Pokemon, JRPGs, modern Fire Emblem games. Been playing a LOAD of Disgaea 5 lately and I love how enabling it is in over the top grinding and big stat numbers lol

5. leafeon34

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    Fire Emblem Warriors was fun without many challenging missions. New Super Mario Bros. U was fun without challenging me much. Normally I like games which are challenging without being ridiculously tough like Donkey Kong Country: Returns and Tropical Freeze.

6. Seliph

Seliph Professional Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    Dark Souls 3.

7. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    only 1 person said pokemon? (so far) . . . i thought that would be in everyone's answer . . . did anyone actually honestly find pokemon difficult ? or was it just not fun?

8. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Almost every pokemon game. Been on ROMHacks for months and most of them add the challenge the official games tend to lack.

wormdood and B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N like this.
  9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    On average, I'd say about half the games I play. My job's challenging enough, so I often play games to wind down and relax. Hmm...okay: on closer inspection, it's more like one game in five or ten. Depends on whether or not it's a little challenging or not.

Let's check my favorites of the last few years...
    -sproggiwood
    -isle of skye (okay: perhaps if I'd play on hard difficulty mode. I don't).
    -doki doki literature club
    -hidden folks
    -reigns: game of thrones
    -tsuro
    -le havre: inland port (either the AI really sucks or I'm just way too good at it...I don't have much of a reference to compare)
    -monument valley 1&2
    -steamworld dig
    -epistory: typing chronicles
    -infinity loop
    -parkitect (on sandbox mode)

I'll take a stab at it and say that most if not all walking simulators and visual novels aren't very challenging as a gamer. That doesn't mean they don't have other redeeming qualities.

10. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    im not sure i agree with this one, while the base of the game was simple have you seen this ... ► 15:55

edit: there was supposed to be a video in the spoiler .
    2nd edit: oh well at least there is still a link

Last edited by wormdood, Jan 19, 2019
  11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    You said it: the base of the game was simple. I haven't watched the entire linked movie, but TBH if there is some sort of super-hidden strange secret ending-after-the-true ending hidden, then more power to it, I guess*. I'm talking about fun games that aren't challenging. Quite some games do what I would describe as "throwing out a challenge for the heck of it". You know what I'm talking about: the steam awards you get when you finish the game in under one microsecond, only use the directional pad or beat a level by only touching the controller with your nostrils. If you ask me, that doesn't change the challenge of the game...it's just a check box for completionists.

* on that note:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

wormdood likes this.
  12. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    you got a good point . . . i will go back to my corner now
    although

13. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Like others have mentioned, Kirby games. I'd also include games like Fragile Dreams which are much more exploration and story focused. Having said that, I grew up with "NES hard" games so I was used to playing challenging games without really even thinking in terms of "Give players a challenge that allows them to feel satisfaction when they overcome it". It was more, "here's a game and just keep playing it until you win". The games I tend to have fond memories of are, I'd tend to say, the ones that seemed to have fun mechanics; often that came with challenge, but then I still like Kirby games so it's not totally that.

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.
  14. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Angry Birds

wormdood likes this.
  15. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Great example. Really enjoyable experience to play through, but no real challenge at any point.

Similarly Gris isn't too challenging, besides finding some of the hidden collectables, but it's a really nice experience.

16. ginger_man

ginger_man Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2019
    United States
    Last game I've played was Gris. It was unforgettable beautiful and relaxing, but not challenging at all. I had to move forward and admire. No fear that I'll lose, no desire to do my best.

17. fiis

fiis GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2015
    United States
    spiderman, it was easy to just do your thing. GOW was difficult at first because it took me a while to realize I needed to apply armor and such in order to level up.

18. Dani Dandelion

Dani Dandelion Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2009
    United States
    Missouri
    Miitopia wasn't challenging, because it was entirely focused on delivering a fun experience.

Semi-related, Tomodachi Life and Animal Crossing, as they're chill by nature. Who needs ~gamer cred~ when you can cause traumatic break-ups for your Miis, and mail axes to your neighbors all day?

19. camW00dS

camW00dS Member

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2019
    United States
    new spider man

20. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    I rarely play games "for the challenge" (except maybe higher-speeds Tetris), mainly to just see the worlds (which also is the main reason I drive for fun IRL)

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted