Are There Cheat Code That Can Force PS1 Games to 16:9 Aspect Ratio?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by CuriousTommy, Jun 23, 2017.

1. CuriousTommy
    OP

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    Is there something like the Mario Kart DS widescreen cheat code for Spyro 2, or for any other PS1 game? I would prefer to play the PS1 games in a 16:9 ratio instead on 4:3.

2. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    you can just change that yourself .. in settings .. are you using adrenaline ? it even has a custom setting so you can change it to any size you want

3. quinterrya

quinterrya Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2006
    United States
    Im guessing if you're playing PS1 games on 3DS, try using retroarch. It has an option when using PCSX-ReARMed to change the ratio in configurations.

4. CuriousTommy
    OP

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    Yes, I am using adrenaline. I don't want it to stretch the game to 16:9 (I know how to do that), I want to play the game in a true 16:9 ratio with the other stuff shown.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    You'll need a way to run Gameshark codes, I dunno if CWCheat still doesn't work for PS1 games or not on Adrenaline, but if they do you can find various Gameshark codes for widescreen hacks here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PSOne-Widescreen-Patches

That's the best place I've found with widescreen hacks for PS1 games, but you'll have to search yourself to find them for games you want.

EDIT: I also don't know if they work with PSP mode's PS1 emulator, so you'll have to just try and see.

CuriousTommy and reprep like this.
  6. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    oh okay .. well good luck .. seems tom knows the way !!

7. CuriousTommy
    OP

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    Thank you! This is exactly what I am looking for! It seems like it is a better idea to recreate these cheat codes with CWCheat instead.

On a side note, is CWCheat the ideal application for making cheat code for the PSP? I remember hearing that there are other cheat engines for the PSP.

Looking at the ChangeLog for Adrenaline, it says that it added support for using cwcheat in PS1 games. So I guess it is possible!

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    AFAIK, CWCheat is the only modern "cheat engine" that works with Adrenaline.

CuriousTommy likes this.
  9. britain4

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    I know I've played PS1 games in hacked widescreen before in an emulator. I also have no recollection of how I did it, but it may well be possible with cheat codes too.

It did cause enough graphical glitches to make me turn it off again however.

10. CuriousTommy
    OP

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    The common way of using a widescreen hack is to force the emulator to show the area that normally can't be seen on the real console. The downside to this is that the game is unaware of this. So you are more likely to see the game unload and reload parts of the map on the screen. The nice thing about cheat codes is that you can make the game, rather than the emulator, be aware of the aspect ratio, and have the emulator fix the window size.

Here is an example with Spyro 3:
    Spyro 3 Example

While both games do suffer from the glitched rendering (especially in the beginning cutscene), I find the second one better than the first one after the cutscene.

Here is another example with Super Mario 64 (Look at Bob-Omb Battlefield):
    Super Mario 64 Example

11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I wish TEMP ar worked by now, or remotejoy lite. Anyway I didn't know wide screen cheats exist. First i heard of this was Kingdom Hearts 2 where people use it on a emulator to make the game wide screen so it looks nicer when playing in HD resolutions. Other than that, sounds cool. Though I just use epsxe wide screen option, except it only works with games in 3D using polygons, not 2D sprite games. Guess some games aren't able to force wide screen.

12. MUDD_BR

MUDD_BR GBAtemp Regular

Nov 17, 2008
    Brazil
    What a awesome work, thanks for sharing!