Hacking Are there benefits for having a Gateway?

tidico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello,

so i've got a N3DS XL with Luma + A9LHAX installed on sysNAND and I have the Gateway Flashcart. Are the any advantages or special ability that I cant do wihtout the Gateway?
Only the blue cart makes sense to use for me to play my DS Backups comfortable. So can I sell the Red Gateway safely or should I keep it?

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can always keep it to use Gateshark and its in game menu, but other than that you can use the .3ds extension (slightly more of a hassle, but say you have an extra microSD you want to utilize at the same time).

Just one thing to note, no FIRM protection (AFAIK) so better to just use it for those features, and when an Update appears, don't update in Gateway mode.

Last edited by atlboyz_247,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can use .3DS roms and have another SD card to load games from. So you can both use CIA's and .3DS game.
Built-in cheat engine.
An all-in-one tool for games, saves, and NAND back ups.

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The neat cheat engine is a plus but now there's Gateshark2NTR, so if you really don't feel like keeping the Gateway then at least you're not losing much.
If you only play a few games, you can just keep them all as CIAs.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Unless you need the money you'd get by selling it, I'd recommend holding on to it. Recent posts on Gateway's site indicate they're still (somewhat) alive. You never know what the future will hold (the far future).

I personally use my Gateway for developing ROM hacks. It's a nifty device to have.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I moved on from gateway to regular a9lh with the ability to still boot gw mode for the odd features gateway has, but it's handy enough to keep around for me, I use one of those cheap fake micro sd cards a friend game me in it with <6gb capacity actually usable and it works a treat for what I use.

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
cheats and 3ds support, if you already have and like those perks use it, its fun to read the gateway haters comments :P they are just like a broken record

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only a shame that the DStwo+'s 3DS functionality is an unauthorized rip instead of some actual collab with the Gateway team, if not its own thing. We could have been on the verge of 3DS Divinity. 3DS Mode + improved hardware in the DStwo plus could have led to some homebrew punching well above the 3DS's weight grade on its own.

Reactions: Ricken and Seriel

tidico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did not want to trigger a Gateway hate thread. My questions are answered. Thank you!
#closerequest

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only for the cheats.
And that doesn't make any more sense because ntr cfw exists and allows you to cheat in games.
Sell your gateway :)

People keep saying this, but always seem to forget that cheating with NTR requires quite a bit of in-depth knowledge on how the NTR debugger works. Not to mention access to a nearby PC to do the debugging from and/or to make the cheat.plg files with.

Compared to Gateshark which is essentially identical to the ps1/ps2 era GameShark/ActionReplay devices.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People keep saying this, but always seem to forget that cheating with NTR requires quite a bit of in-depth knowledge on how the NTR debugger works. Not to mention access to a nearby PC to do the debugging from and/or to make the cheat.plg files with.

Compared to Gateshark which is essentially identical to the ps1/ps2 era GameShark/ActionReplay devices.

NTR works with Gateshark, you're talking about manual ram editing that doesn't have to be done.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-gateshark2ntr.436504/

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NTR works with Gateshark, you're talking about manual ram editing that doesn't have to be done.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-gateshark2ntr.436504/

Still more complicated than Gateshark.

To use NTR:

Download and setup devkitpro
Download gateshark cheat file
Convert gateshark cheat file
Place cheat.plg on console sd card
Boot ntr
Boot game
Activate cheats

To use Gateshark:

Download gateshark cheat file
Place gateshark cheat file on gateway sd card
Boot game
Activate cheat(s)

That doesn't even begin to address finding/creating your own cheats, which is significantly easier with gateshark.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bottom line, the implication that NTR allows you to cheat in as simple and easy a manner as Gateway is a blatant falsehood and, as far as I can tell, one largely spread and supported by the same people who blindly spew gatehate and preach the holy wonders of plailect and a9lh.

At the end of the day, no two users have the same requirements or desires for their console. What works for you might not work for the next guy because what he wants out of the process is something different.

Luma3DS, A9LH, NTR, and Gateway are ALL extremely useful tools that are work wonderfully for the things that they set out to do. But just because A9LH is the best exploit we have seen since the console launched does NOT mean that it is the answer to every question asked about hacking. And just because NTR is free and works without extra hardware on the console itself does not mean its the answer to every question about gateway and/or cheating.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

so i've got a N3DS XL with Luma + A9LHAX installed on sysNAND and I have the Gateway Flashcart. Are the any advantages or special ability that I cant do wihtout the Gateway?
Only the blue cart makes sense to use for me to play my DS Backups comfortable. So can I sell the Red Gateway safely or should I keep it?
Besides everything other people mentioned, I personally like the simplicity of .3DS roms (plus, converting all my saves would be way too much work)
If you don't care about this or anything other people mentioned, switching is probably a good idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.