Are there anyone here who knows

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by acevampire, Jul 15, 2007.

Jul 15, 2007
  1. acevampire
    OP

Newcomer acevampire Member

United States
    Hello. I have been able to get alot more ROMs to work on the MMD (see topic here http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=69169). Anyway, there are some ROMs that still don't work; Princess peach, star fox, etc.
    It has to do with the arm7 files not working. so I was wondering where I can find the most knowledgeable people on the arm7 and arm9.bin file's subject.

I need to learn how to edit arm7 files, as I've tried transplanting the arm7 files from MANY games into the princess peach rom, but princess peach still will not run. [​IMG]

2. chuckstudios

Member chuckstudios Putting the pro in procrastination

United States
    The arm7.bin and arm9.bin are the executable binaries for the DS. The easiest way to think of it is to think of arm9.bin as an EXE file on your computer and arm7.bin as a DLL file. The ARM9 code runs the actual game, while ARM7 does some background tasks like WiFi, sound, power management, and as we have discovered more recently, anti-piracy measures. While most games can easily switch between ARM7 binaries without an issue, when a game relies on a custom ARM7 binary this fails. Thus, the problem you are running into with Super Princess Peach cannot be easily "editted away". Editing those files without the source code (which you are not likely to get without doing something highly illegal) is very difficult and requires good knowledge of ARM assembly, which is one of the hardest programming languages to learn.

In summary, it's probably not going to happen. Sorry.

3. acevampire
    OP

United States
    Doesn't Princess Peach and Starfox Command work on other Flashcarts like the R4?

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Yeah flashcart need patched roms (most do it using a program while others like most DS slot carts do it onboard) to work.

As for the assembly code here is a disassembler although as chuckstudios says the chances are if you have to ask you are about a year out from doing anything:
    http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA018359/nds/ndshack.html

Also does WRGs (loadme) or |{ains patcher (ndspatcher) not work with the max media dock?

5. loathsome

Member loathsome GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Both StarFox and Princess Peach runs (and saves) like a dream on my DS-X 4Gb 1.1.2.

Which flashcart are you running?

edit; Nvm my stupidity lol [​IMG]

6. acevampire
    OP

United States

Thankyou for the link. Are there any experts on the subject of the program? I do have alot of programming experience, but this is something new to me.

7. acevampire
    OP

United States
    Sorry for the double post, but I replaced the arm7 of type 4 games like mario hoops 3 on 3, with the arm7 of mario kart ds. These are completley different types of games, but yet, mario hoops 3 on 3 ran after that on my MMD. Some other games ran with it as well, but Princess peach doesn't. I was hoping to find another game whose arm7 would make the currently non-working ones work. I have yet to find one.
    But does anyone know why Mario Kart's arm 7 made Castlevania PoR and others work?

8. chuckstudios

United States
  9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    ASM is a few steps up from writing 1 and 0's, naturally it is processor, OS and in some regards system dependent. Being only a few steps up it is fairly trivial to convert from a binary to ASM code (assuming no compression or encryption) and back again, as chuckstudios says this is fairly complex to get to grips with: you have to assign variables, interface with the hardware, tell the processor exactly what to do at all times (which is why hardly anyone uses is as a main language). Complete control can make for some amazingly fast and small programs though.
    If you want to learn ASM then I suggest reading this (for 32bit windows ASM):
    http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AoA/Windows/index.html
    Followed by this: http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm (GBAtek, pretty much the definitive GBA/DS hardware document.

However I got curious and decided to check differences, there are no ARM7 overlays which is nice (overlays are small parts of programs that normally do menial things like saving which you do not have to do all the time and could use the space).

US Mario kart Arm7 and US Portrait of ruin ARM disassembled and compared.
    Differences are myriad and to trace them all would take some serious time: something I do not have. Although some time spent would show me why I am shocked it actually works cross developer/engine, I knew Nintendo's tools were extensive but this is beyond what I expected.

As for the reason for the one rom not working chuckstudios already took it: the ARM7 is usually given the junk tasks for the DS (sound, saving, lives.....) so replacing may not make much difference for some but having a second processor can do some amazing things (if damn hard to code for), princess peach is likely one of the ones that actually uses it.

10. acevampire
    OP

United States
    Thanks, Ill check it out.

@Fast- Thanks for that post. I will continue trying to learn about arm7, or anything else I may be able to edit or replace to get ROMs to work.

Also, I have another question. There are a few ROMs like didy kong racing, that when tried to be patched with Maximum Overload 1.2, during the arm9 patching process, it says card read error. What does that exactly mean?

11. acevampire
    OP

United States
    When I tried to patch starfox with that arm7 it came up with a card read end not found error in the arm9 patching process.

12. loathsome

Australia
  13. acevampire
    OP

United States
    Where are you getting these files from lol?
    Anyway, Ill check.

14. acevampire
    OP

United States
    an error for arm7 patching comes up, but who knows, it still may run. Lemme check.

EDIT- nope, two white screens when tried to run.

15. chuckstudios

United States
    Hm... I have a MMD, so I might play around with some stuff later...

16. loathsome

Australia
    Mine's the one from Sim City (J), but I've modified it quite a lot. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

17. acevampire
    OP

United States
    Maybe you could try modifying Mario Kart DS? that was the ARM7 that got alot of other type 4 roms to work.

18. chuckstudios

United States
    My Star Fox one was an extracted ARM7 from a M3 patched ROM. I figured since ARM9 handles card access, ARM7s should be mostly universal - I guess I was wrong :-/

19. acevampire
    OP

United States

But you may be onto something. The only problem is when it goes through MO patching, it pops up a card read end error.

20. TeenDev

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    I actually heard that all arm7 commerical binaries are excatly the same...