Homebrew Are there any risks to installing homebrew?

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Like, can this mess up with my SD card and make me lose all of my games or something? I really wanted to try it out, but I had some traumatizing experiences on the Wii back in 2013.

Megalegacy98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like, can this mess up with my SD card and make me lose all of my games or something? I really wanted to try it out, but I had some traumatizing experiences on the Wii back in 2013.
With the Wii you were dealing with kernel access which can be very scary to deal with if you don't know what you're doing. Right now I'm assuming you've updated so you can only run userland exploits. Userland can't hurt anything on your SD card. It can't brick the system (well it can if you corrupt your Play Coins but to do that you need to know how to do hexadecimal and be a complete idiot) Userland doesn't have all the access as kernel, but it's really safe. So the only risks are with saves. If you mess with your save with hexadecimal and you don't know what you're doing and put it in, the save may corrupt.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
There's virtually no risks. If you're on 9.3+ SysNAND, the Homebrew Channel and its homebrews can only run in userland, so there not any chance that any of your game will be erased. The worst thing that could possibly happen is that you can corrupt your savegames if there's a problem while injecting a save using svdt or any save editor, but personally I use it really often and never had any problems.
Oh, and you can also get a semi-brick if you try to install a "bad" custom theme, but you can fix it by removing the SD card and choosing the default theme, and put the SD back again.
And, a "long" time ago, I saw one guy complaining about screen burns after using a NES emulator.
As you can see, there's not much issues, and any one of them can be easily fixed (don't know how for the screen burns part though), so you can be fairly sure you will not make your 3DS explode by using homebrews.

Megalegacy98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's virtually no risks. If you're on 9.3+ SysNAND, the Homebrew Channel and its homebrews can only run in userland, so there not any chance that any of your game will be erased. The worst thing that could possibly happen is that you can corrupt your savegames if there's a problem while injecting a save using svdt or any save editor, but personally I use it really often and never had any problems.
Oh, and you can also get a semi-brick if you try to install a "bad" custom theme, but you can fix it by removing the SD card and choosing the default theme, and put the SD back again.
And, a "long" time ago, I saw one guy complaining about screen burns after using a NES emulator.
As you can see, there's not much issues, and any one of them can be easily fixed (don't know how for the screen burns part though), so you can be fairly sure you will not make your 3DS explode by using homebrews.
The screen burn guy was below 9.3. I know it because he was using a CIA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.