Are there any low level programming languages over than assembly and machine code?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Nyap, May 3, 2016.

1. Nyap
    OP

Nyap HTML Noob

Banned
    Jan 13, 2016
    That Chaos Site
    :3

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You have some variations on the theme of assembly, most notable being HLA http://www.plantation-productions.com/Webster/ which includes a lot of premade stuff you can use. Depending upon how you want to view it then return oriented programming is another type of low level assembly ish programming.

Equally what counts as low and high level is up for debate -- some would classify C as a low level language and save high level stuff for things with interpreters (java, javascript, python, perl. lua......).

Where are you looking to go with this? The question itself does not mean the most but if you want something fast then we can do that or if you want something you can use to pull things apart... well you are still going to want assembly but there is still stuff we can link beyond that.

3. Nyap
    OP

Nyap HTML Noob

Banned
    Jan 13, 2016
    That Chaos Site
    I was just curious
    For me, one way of testing if a language is low-level is; do you have to relearn it for every architecture? So for example that is not the case for C, you just have to use a compiler made for that architecture. So I would say C is a high level language

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    There is enough variation between architectures (what is a long, short...), OS and occasionally compiler (get someone that just graduated school to program in K and R C). Were I to follow something in that world then I would probably argue that any language that gets you to manage your own memory space is low level, not the best as it does not make any further distinction and if you are going to compare C memory handling to Java or Lua or something it is night and day difference in the levels at which you can screw up. Though that speaks to portability of code which would probably be one of the more popular ways of delineating things.l