Hacking Are there any generic save converters? (xbox/ps3)

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
I have some old xbox 360 games that I would like to play on the PS3. I have no problem extracting the saves, and there is a wealth of programs for editing saves, but I can't seem to find any information on how to go about converting them to a form usable by the PS3. So far the only editor I can find which will actually convert saves is a borderlands save editor.

The saves I want to convert is:

Alice: The Madness Returns (extracted as a .sav file)
Final Fantasy XIII (.dat file)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (.dat file)
Dante's Inferno (no file extension)
Overlord I & 2 (.sav files)

I have other xbox 360 saves, but nothing that I would really want to play on the PS3 too.

I would imagine that Alice should be the easiest to convert since it appears to be in the same format the PC version uses, and Overlord seems to be the same, but even in those cases I wouldn't know where to put it or what to do about the others.

I know save files record some information about the console, so couldn't I create a new save on the PS3 and use some method to just copy the non-user/console information from one save to the other?

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
I was able to find the save data location for "Alice: The Madness Returns". First, I started a new game until it saved. Then I found the save file here:

/dev_hdd0/home/00000001/BLUS30607-SAVE/CHKPOINT.SAV

Since the file has the same extension as the file extracted from the xbox 360 version I renamed the above file "CHKPOINT.SAV.bak" and then I copied "Alice2Checkpoint.sav" (from xbox) over, renaming it to "CHKPOINT.SAV" and then attempted to load the saved game. I didn't think it would actually work, but it couldn't hurt to try, right?

Well it didn't work, of course. It gave me a message saying the data is corrupted. So I just restored the original file.

The file size for the xbox 360 .sav is 765,952 while the PS3 save is 182,464. I opened both in a hex editor to compare values hoping to find at least some sequence with an overlapping pattern. Well, I learned something very interesting: The xbox save data is unencrypted, (or at least has unencrypted portions) while the PS3 save data is encrypted.

Alice_hex.png

Since I know that some xbox saves are encrypted I decrypted the xbox save and then compared the two and was able to confirm that the xbox save for this game is originally unencrypted.

Then I found this program and used it to decrypt the PS3 save. It wasn't difficult to configure it. I used the Param.sfo file found in the same folder as the save file, and for the rest of the information I used this.

I hit a wall at that point. I get an error trying to load the Alice PS3 save. It says "File Unloaded." I checked it by trying to look at a random .dat save and it said that it couldn't backup the folder, and then gave the unloaded error. That gave me an idea: I copied the entire folder over and it opened just fine.

Alice_hex_decrypted.png

So now I have a decrypted file for Alice for the PS3. Taking a look at the two, the xbox 360 file has lots of padding. When I lined them up I initially thought that maybe I could just copy the segments of data from one to the other that were the same, or at least similar enough to probably be the real save data.

Alice_hex_edits.png

The problem I am running into now is that there is more than just padding at the beginning, there is also padding between every string of text. I don't really know enough about PS3 saves to really know what kind of impact it will have if I were to try matching it up because I don't know how much is padding and how much is data in use. So I am not really sure how to proceed from here. If I could learn enough about it I am sure I could manually convert the saves, but I don't know enough to do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone