Are there any games worth buying a Dreamcast for?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,343
  • Replies 29

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
AeroWings, AeroWings 2: Airstrike, Bangai-O, Blue Stinger, Cannon Spike, Capcom VS SNK, Carrier, ChuChu Rocket!, D2, Daytona USA 2001, Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm, Dynamite Cop, Ecco The Dolphin: Defender of the Future, Elemental Gimmick Gear, Evolution, Fighting Force 2, Fighting Vipers 2, Gauntlet Legends, Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2, Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes, Gunlord, Heavy Metal: Geomatrix, Illbleed, Iron Aces, Maken X, Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting, Max Steel: Covert Missions, Metropolis Street Racer, Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness, Nightmare Creatures II, Outtrigger, Pen Pen TriIcelon, Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstein, Project Justice, Psychic Force 2012, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Record of Lodoss War, Red Dog: Superior Firepower, The Ring: Terror's Realm, Rippin' Riders Snowboarding, Roadsters, Seaman, Seventh Cross: Evolution, Sno-Cross Championship Racing, Sonic Shuffle, Soul Fighter, Spawn: In the Demon's Hand, Star Wars Episode I: Jedi Power Battles, Star Wars: Demolition, Super Magnetic Neo, Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage, Tech Romancer, Time Stalkers, Toy Commander, Vanishing Point, Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense, Virtua Fighter 3TB, and Zombie Revenge.

D

Deleted User

OP
Ive seen some people get online working on the dreamcast,so you could probably play phantasy star online with it.

Also nothing beats playing games on the original hardware they where ment for if you like retro gaming.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Thomas83Lin

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also nothing beats playing games on the original hardware they where ment for if you like retro gaming.

Savestates, control remapping, my choice of controller, easy hacks, easy cheats, graphics filters, audio filters, no region issues, possibly frame rate unlocks, widescreen where that was a thing, graphics upscaling... even stuff like http://bogost.com/games/a_television_simulator/ if you are so inclined.
All that handily beats original hardware from where I sit. You can still get it done on original hardware in more cases but give me that list above any day of the week.
Might be time for the every so often rehash of that on the portal.

D

Deleted User

OP
Savestates, control remapping, my choice of controller, easy hacks, easy cheats, graphics filters, audio filters, no region issues, possibly frame rate unlocks, widescreen where that was a thing, graphics upscaling... even stuff like http://bogost.com/games/a_television_simulator/ if you are so inclined.
All that handily beats original hardware from where I sit. You can still get it done on original hardware in more cases but give me that list above any day of the week.
Might be time for the every so often rehash of that on the portal.
I play on pc,so no shit.I can play both shenmu games on my 1060 6gb i5 6600k at 1080p max resultion the emulator allows which is usually 60 or above,along with my ps4 controller.I already know mr masterrace.

I wasnt saying its better for quality,but nothing beats playing games on the hardware it was originally ment for,and apresheate where it originally came from.Its called nostalgia.

Last edited by ,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I play on pc,so no shit.I can play both shenmu games on my 1060 6gb i5 6600k at 1080p max resultion the emulator allows which is usually 60 or above,along with my ps4 controller.I already know mr masterrace.

I wasnt saying its better for quality,but nothing beats playing games on the hardware it was originally ment for,and apresheate where it originally came from.Its called nostalgia.

In that case I am glad I don't suffer from nostalgia of that form, sounds like an awful affliction.

Also I had a megadrive/genesis back when. A year or two later during earlier days of the PS1 I discovered genecyst (a dos emulator of it), at the time I was still rocking probably a mid tier cyrix processor and very little RAM, and being a PC of that era controllers still looked like https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/6nmj3g/gravis_gamepad/ . Its fancy features that I knew of at the time were turbo, savestates, no region worries and graphics filters consisted mostly of a scanline filter I had no idea why anybody would want. I have not looked back since.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
In that case I am glad I don't suffer from nostalgia of that form, sounds like an awful affliction.

Also I had a megadrive/genesis back when. A year or two later during earlier days of the PS1 I discovered genecyst (a dos emulator of it), at the time I was still rocking probably a mid tier cyrix processor and very little RAM, and being a PC of that era controllers still looked like https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/6nmj3g/gravis_gamepad/ . Its fancy features that I knew of at the time were turbo, savestates, no region worries and graphics filters consisted mostly of a scanline filter I had no idea why anybody would want. I have not looked back since.
Dreamcast emulation isn't perfect.

Petrucci

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Soul Calibur port is godly. Power Stone 1 and 2 are also great Smash-esque games. Generally, any multiplayer game is really good on Dreamcast, and usually the arcade ports to Dreamcast are much better than their counterparts (e.g. NFL Blitz 2001 on N64 vs. on Dreamcast).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters