are there any fake microsd around???

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by marblearch111, Oct 23, 2006.

Oct 23, 2006
  1. marblearch111
    OP

Newcomer marblearch111 Member

United Kingdom
    are there any fake microsd around???

i am fully aware of fakes coming from the Far East and ending up on ebay, especially those memory stick pro duo for the PSP. Having ordered a SCL last week, i went on ebay to check for prices for microsd, i found thousands, mainly shipping form Hong Kong, and they are Toshiba brand, and prices range between £20-£25. Anyway in the end i ordered a 1gb sandisk form Amazon.co.uk which was actually cheaper than ebay!!

I never knew Toshiba made memory cards, and i think the sandisk cards on ebay are fake aswel, so i made sure i ordered mine from a reliable site.

I pretty sure fake cards are causing more slowdowns, lags and compatable problems than usual, it doesnt have to be bought from ebay, or from Hong Kong, these cards are avaiable everywhere!!!

2. tetsuya

Member tetsuya GBAtemp Regular

No, they are real microsd but they are just off brand name and yes they can be slow.

3. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Toshiba makes some of the memory found in many memory based flash devices. In fact, that is what some of the fakes are, since official MS usually uses higher priced Samsung memory the knockoffs use a lower priced toshiba ... only difference is that with some SD cards the "knockoffs" are just being sold as unbranded instead of violating brand names.

4. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    Why not buy from a local computer store?

In any case, when I used a fake Sandisk on my old SCL, it worked perfectly.

5. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    yee: Because the prices in UK local stores are just insane. You'd be amazed how much cheaper memory cards are from Amazon than on the high street.

To give an example: 1GB sandisk micro sd card: Argos: £39.99, Amazon: £20
    Or even worse, 1GB Fuji XD camera card: Argos: £79.99, Amazon: £21.40. I know that's not the kind of card you're talking about but the price differences are staggering.

6. garry35

Newcomer garry35 Member

United Kingdom
    i dont know whether its a fake or faulty card, but i just bought 2 micro sd cards from the same shop and both report 455meg used after a FULL format [​IMG]

the cards were Kingston (or thats wot the box said)

7. furyoo

Newcomer furyoo Advanced Member

Well in Asia, Kingston Microsd's are going for about US$30 for 1GB, including lifetime warranty.

8. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    It's not that expensive.

Here in Canada, most 1GB Sandisk cost around 65 tax-in on sale and Kingstons are just 10 dollars cheaper with tax.

I don't see how that's worth calling it insane. I mean you guys have jobs...

40 Pounds converted to CAD is about 85, pretty expensive here, the price of one not on sale, but I'm sure you guys can find one that has them on sale.