Homebrew are there any fake cias that purposely brick your system

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
It had happened in the Xbox community before.

Some idiot with too much time distributed a XDK recovery .xex as a CoD mod cheat menu, running it on a retail JTAG/RGH would bork the SMC in a way that the Xbox would not respond to power/eject button presses at all, it's not easy to fix either as you can't even write to the NAND at this point.

On 3DS a .cia could cause (possibly permanent) damage by overwriting/wiping native_firm or critical system titles, screwing around with the eMMC firmware (Brickway), or mess with I2C in ways that causes hardware damage (yellows8 bricked his 3DS that way)

Last edited by lefthandsword,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
If I were gonna be malicious, I would take the Decrypt9 source and modify it to dump NNID information (it can already do this, but not exclusively) and use some sort of code to send POST requests to an online source, stealing the login information for the account. Being destructive for the sake of being destructive is fucking stupid. Kids that do it obviously don't recognize the true potential of malware, especially when a wide open door is staring them in the face.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: XRaTiX

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've never heard of any myself, I know there were a few for the DS, but they were pretty quickly taken care of.
I know that since that iso site monitors user's posts before they post them, it would be extremely unlikely that one would exist on that site.

Last edited by The Catboy,

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
If I were gonna be malicious, I would take the Decrypt9 source and modify it to dump NNID information (it can already do this, but not exclusively) and use some sort of code to send POST requests to an online source, stealing the login information for the account. Being destructive for the sake of being destructive is fucking stupid. Kids that do it obviously don't recognize the true potential of malware, especially when a wide open door is staring them in the face.

I can see the point of KV/Console ID stealers being bundled with mods/trainers as you can't get online by just faking these info with random data, but what benefits do these people get by stealing other's NNID? If they want to spam miiverse they could just make throwaway accounts with fake secureinfo_a since Nintendo doesn't even bother to check whenever the serial number reported by the 3DS is valid.

Last edited by lefthandsword,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I can see the point of KV/Console ID stealers being bundled with mods/trainers as you can't get online by just faking these info with random data, but what benefits do these people get by stealing other's NNID? If they want to spam miiverse they could just make throwaway accounts with fake secureinfo_a for that.
People tend to add funds to their accounts for eShop purchases. Doesn't happen often what with the prevalence of piracy, but you never know. I mean, I see the lack of practicality as well, but you never know.

Last edited by Joom,

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"
"Warez" - ROMs, WADs & ISOs

"Warez" is an internet term used to describe copyrighted software, game, film, music and data piracy.
  • We DO NOT HOST or PROVIDE ROMs/WADs/ISOs; or link to websites that do contain ROMs/WADs/ISOs.
  • Members may NOT ASK and MAY NOT PROVIDE INFORMATION or LINKS for and to places that provide ROM, WAD, and ISO files in absolutely any way on our forum including PM (private message).
  • Members may also NOT mention torrent or warez-containing sites or channels by name or otherwise.
  • We do not condone piracy in any way.
  • Please go elsewhere if you only wish to download or share illegal files. The GBAtemp Forums are for discussion ONLY."

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, for A9LH users with Luma or Cakes, tampering with FIRM would be out of the question. However, the other scenarios can happen.

Maybe this can be limited like on android with some sort of whitelist for apps that can access AM and other services like how SuperUser and SuperSU do with allowing root to only specified apps. This is just very wishful thinking however.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if someone were to make a clone of dc9 or emunand9 that when restoring you nand backup to your system or sd (emunand) it also writes a brick code to your selected nand? That seems like it's a bit more possible than a cia packed with a brick code.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look as long as ur installing to the sd and not the NAND ur ok. If u have to install to the nand for say downgrading or dsiware make a backup. Make sure to use arm9loaderhax to prevent bricking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction