Are there any benefits to region changing?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Skelanimal, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Skelanimal
    OP

Skelanimal Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2015
    United States
    Hello, all!

Recently acquired an Australian n3ds and was considering to region change, however, I am not sure if it is worth at this point.

Only reason I would want to change it is because I prefer my user info to list where I am actually from because I am very picky with non-important details.

I would only be changing my emunands region to US. I am aware I would lose access to eShop and System Transfers, which does not matter at all to me.

I have gateway installed, so region locked games isn't an issue as well.

Wondering if there are any benefits to a region swap at all in my situation?

Thank you!

** Also, if I did happen to region swap and we can one day bypass emunand 9.5, how would I perform a firmware update? Would I still do that through system settings, or do I lose that option after a region swap. If I would lose that option, then how so?

2. Mochiman123

Mochiman123 Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2015
    United States
    Aside from gateway, you can use USA region game carts. I don't really see much benefit in region swapping for gateway. If you ever start using CIAs though, you'd probably want your console region changed for DLC and updates.
    You can update through system settings on a region changed console.

Edit: Grammar

3. probablygay

probablygay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    United States
    If I just want to use my USA retail carts on a European console but I don't want to have to go through all the homebrew launchers to do so (Currently using Tubehax, which is sorta unreliable because I need an internet connection just to play my retail carts), how can I region change?

4. Skelanimal
    OP

Skelanimal Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2015
    United States
    Thank you for the reply! I did not know I could still update through system settings, so that is really nice to know. As for CIAs, can't I just run PAL based games on my non-swapped console?

5. Mochiman123

Mochiman123 Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2015
    United States
    Unfortunately, you cannot region change a console that is above 9.2 on sysnand.
    You can run PAL CIAs with PAL updates and DLC, I just figured it was kind of nice to have CIAs from your home region.

6. Skelanimal
    OP

Skelanimal Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2015
    United States
    Ahh, thats why you mentioned it. That doesn't really matter to me, so perhaps I just won't perform the swap then. Thanks a lot for the help!

7. probablygay

Jan 20, 2014
    United States
    Damn. I'm on 9.9. I'm sure someone out there more knowledgeable than I is seeking a method to downgrade/region swap on higher firmwares, I'll sit tight.

8. Mochiman123

Mochiman123 Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2015
    United States
    Sure thing.
    You may need to wait quite a while, as you probably won't be able to until a new kernel exploit comes out.

9. probablygay

Jan 20, 2014
    United States
    That's quite alright! I'll make due with Youtubehax for now and wait for OoTHax to come out in the mean time.