Homebrew Are there any 3DS emulator for the switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Kyojin4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to replay Ocarina of time 3d on my Nintendo switch. Are there any 3DS emulator for the switch?

soaresden

Trophies
XP
Country
France
not so long ago there were a core of citra for retroarch that was really beta but worked very well.
just find it somewhere on gbatemp ^^

Kameryn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would love to replay Ocarina of time 3d on my Nintendo switch. Are there any 3DS emulator for the switch?
Right now the only option is Retroarch's beta Citra core in development by m4xw, you can get the latest version from his discord if you support him on patreon (only costs a buck) https://www.patreon.com/m4xwdev.

Sadly, it's not great, interesting but not super playable. (Ocarina and Majora do run 'okay' with overclocking).

Alternatively I highly recommend the Android verison of Citra if you have a decent phone or lakka, it run's full speed at 2x or 3x resolution for compatible games! It is a very nice experience. Just finished Samus Returns and currently playing Ocarina of Time with touch, gyro and everything.

Note: I had some issues with the official android version slowing to a crawl after a few minutes, but weihouya's fork is absolutely solid and also lets you customize the layout. https://github.com/weihuoya/citra/releases

Attachments

• photo_2021-10-15_13-28-02 (2).jpg
    photo_2021-10-15_13-28-02 (2).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 335
  • photo_2021-10-15_13-28-02.jpg
    photo_2021-10-15_13-28-02.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 296

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is but do people really realistically expect the switch to play the last gen handheld at playable speeds beyond a few exceptions? if so people are more naïve than I thought

Deleted member 568587

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better solution: Get a PC that can play Citra on it then use Switch Remote Play to play it on your Switch from your PC.

Or just buy a Steam Deck when it's out soon if you want true portability like a Switch and play Citra anywhere with it.

Reactions: sley and Kameryn

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
Isn't citra off limits to non-patreon subscribers, tho? And isn't it slow as molasses on Horizon OS?
It actually performs pretty good, all things considered. Citra on HOS being unplayable is a myth based on the first, very early releases of the core, when it wasn't even a release itself but rather a test to see if it was possible to port it.
The only problem is how often the project is pushed. The last major update for m4xw's Citra core was October 5th 2020 (yes, 2020). There were two experimental updates released on November 12th 2020 and January 5th (this last one, more as an alternative version to the November release).
After that, nothing till June 22th were a few very experimental build were released... And that's about it.

This means that, if you manage to find the January 5th core, you are pretty much up to date.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't citra off limits to non-patreon subscribers, tho? And isn't it slow as molasses on Horizon OS?
it has a few exceptions that run decently well but people just like to pretend that the bad performing games don't exist and you almost never see them in videos just the same small handful of games

DaKussh

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Damn, it's a shame that no attempt was made to make even the most basic emulator like obviously, it's impossible to magically make the games 3D on the Switch, but there are games that don't use half of the gimmicks of the 3DS. I would have loved to play Soul Hackers because it's a port of a 25-year-old game that was only in Japanese, and because Atlus decided to make the English translation for a port to the 3DS of all consoles the fan translation for the Sega Saturn version was halted... what a shame.

glasso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Right now the only option is Retroarch's beta Citra core in development by m4xw, you can get the latest version from his discord if you support him on patreon (only costs a buck)

Sadly, it's not great, interesting but not super playable. (Ocarina and Majora do run 'okay' with overclocking).

Alternatively I highly recommend the Android verison of Citra if you have a decent phone or lakka, it run's full speed at 2x or 3x resolution for compatible games! It is a very nice experience. Just finished Samus Returns and currently playing Ocarina of Time with touch, gyro and everything.

Note: I had some issues with the official android version slowing to a crawl after a few minutes, but weihouya's fork is absolutely solid and also lets you customize the layout.
when you say Lakka - do you mean that Citra runs well on Switch if you have Lakka installed?
what version of Citra works best for that?

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, there is the Citra core for Retroarch and with overclocking OOT + MM3D are playable there.
I recommend that you pay 1$ for m4xw's patreon to get the newest build, it's worth it imo.

When I played MM3D in October it did have one bug in the later sections where the game crashes, I don't know if it's fixed.
But OOT should be fine afaik.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Better solution: Get a PC that can play Citra on it then use Switch Remote Play to play it on your Switch from your PC.

Or just buy a Steam Deck when it's out soon if you want true portability like a Switch and play Citra anywhere with it.
Better solution: Get a PC than can run Yuzu and enjoy Switch games in 4K and buy a used New 3DS XL so you can run 3D games in 3D since it is impossible to run these games in 3D on anything other than real hardware.

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Better solution: Get a PC than can run Yuzu and enjoy Switch games in 4K and buy a used New 3DS XL so you can run 3D games in 3D since it is impossible to run these games in 3D on anything other than real hardware.
Yeah I agree with the 3DS part, the dual screen layout is best on original Hardware and with CFW the most hassle free way to enjoy the DS library.

Reactions: zxr750j
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I bet you don't pirate game either