Are the headphones "Beats" really that good?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by WiiCube_2013, May 10, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I see people outdoors wearing these headphones called "Beats" all the time and I've noticed that they're pricey but just because something's expensive doesn't mean it's exactly good so for the audio-philes here, is "Beats" good?

Oh, and I'm aware that Apple acquired Beats... Apple Beats. lol

2. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm not an audiophile myself, but even I know that Beats are garbage for the price. You can pay substantially less for the same quality headphone. At the price of Beats, you can get something significantly better.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Yes you are paying for the name, for the money you could do better.

However if you stuck them through the audio reproduction tests and/or gave them to someone that knows what goes as far as audio goes then you would not be laughed out of the room as far as general consumer level gear goes.

If I found some on the street and decided not to give them back I could certainly get along with them, if I found some in need of a simple repair I would repair them to have a nice set of headphones rather than just because I like repairing things.

How much further your money could go is up for debate, it kind of is (or was when I last checked about 8 months ago) enough to bump you up a class of headphone. However if you said "I like the way these beats fit on my head so I did not get [blah]" then again you would not be laughed out of the room (give or take most headphones at the price being fairly customisable and able to sort with head sizes).

The are many scams in audio world and in some ways these might count as one (I tend to think most fashion is a con, mainly as it is), however they are headphones of reasonable quality and if they persuaded a few people to leave nasty earbud headphones alone then I will not begrudge them their success.

So yeah don't do it, though if you find some or a friend is letting some go cheap then consider it.

4. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    They don't fit my fat head right and the bass seems muddy compared to headphones half or even a quarter of the price, even low-end $80 sennheiser brand or $50 mid-range Nakamichi brand sound as clear and rich or better.

5. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    No they're not.

[​IMG]

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    No quibbles with the graph data at this point, however I do have to pick out they are using the "studio" versions where there are considerably cheaper models (especially among the old stock of discontinued models), said models probably also being what people are referring to. However I would then have to see what differences there are there between studio and solo and I have little there and not much more inclination to find it out, not to mention such things are contentious in "proper" headphone world too (see also some of the hacks).

7. layyen

layyen Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2014
    Its as apple, sell price is 10-20x higher then build costs, dont buy take koss, sehenheiser or anothuer well known brands.. this is shit.. only if you like to everybody know "i am bastard with rich parrents"

8. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    Get them if you just want decent headphones that look good to you.