Are the DS's at the end of their lifespan?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by liltorchic, May 31, 2010.

May 31, 2010
  1. liltorchic
    OP

Newcomer liltorchic Advanced Member

United States
    I mean, the only big releases left are Golden Sun and Pokemanz, and even 3rd-Party's are starting to move towards Wii. Even if it's not dead yet, it would be pretty weird for Nintendo to announce some big titles for the DS and give deatils about the 3ds. Thoughts?

2. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    No way, this is the best selling console ever you're talking about, Ninty aren't just going to abandon it when the 3DS comes out. Think about it, PS2 games are still being produced, so I'm sure that since the DS has now overtaken PS2 in sales it will last a long time too.

3. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Well, considering we already know about the 3DS -- the true next-gen DS -- and Nintendo are doing their typical market flood of various versions of their current system (DSXL, DSi, Lite), yeah, I think it's safe to say that we're moving into the era of swansong titles for DS. After seeing gameplay footage of Golden Sun DS, that's all too clear.

I have to say, though. Nintendo really accommodated me this time around when it comes to a gaming system. We were able to get a nice, healthy life cycle out of the original DS, and their introduction of 3DS wasn't too early or too late, as far as I'm concerned. I am really looking forward to what the next generation DS can and will do for me as a gamer, regardless of if and when it's hacked.

4. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Two words: Backwards Compatibility

5. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    efff yeah!

6. gameboy13

Member gameboy13 Orange and fluffy since 1995.

United States
    Not until the 3DSLiteiXL.

7. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It all comes down to price.

It's possible if Nintendo slashed the price of the DS, they could continue to sell it even after the 3DS is released.

Problem they have is many of the people who will buy it, will buy it for use with FlashCarts. While the 3DS will be flashcart free atleast for it's native games, and possibly for DS games.

How long did the GameBoy Advance last after Nintendo released the DS?

8. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Mine's about dead, but I plan on replacing it [​IMG]

Seriously though. The DS is FAR from dead. It's a bit slow going right now, maybe. But at least wait until we see what E3 brings us in a week or two before passing judgement.

9. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Yea i reackon the DS will be over after the first year of the 3DS or something

Remeber, the 3DS is a new system; a new platform....

the DS in 3DS DOSENT stand for Duel Screen; it most likely stands for 3 Dimensional System

10. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    I would say the DS is dead, like you would say about a man who gets bit by a king cobra and has no antivenom. Sure he's alive and kicking, but in the back of your mind you're already thinking "He's already dead".

Without the 3DS, DS would still be making killing profits 2, 3, 4, years from now. But its high time for an update after 6 years. I think Nintendo feels it should keep having the upper hands on these advanced phones and mobile devices. Even if they're not really threatened. History has proved that almost for 25 years, Nintendo always has the last laugh in this competitive market.

Even by "hinting" at something new, 3rd party developers as well as the competition listens. Of course DS is going to continue getting more games nearly 2-3 years after the 3DS is out. Its not going to exactly have the major support behind it like it has. Instead of expecting multiple Square Enix games a year, we would expect maybe 2. And expect the same for everyone.
    The DS, that came out in 2004, hardly meant GBA's instant death. Some companies supported the DS and GBA simultaneously up until 2007. If the GBA is any indication to whats come of DS, then expect the games to last until 2013, with less and less quality titles, a few ports, and tons of shovelware. Maybe even a few 2, 3, 4in1 games to justify reselling old games as new to milk some last minute dollars (ITS ALREADY HAPPENING!!!!).

11. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    Example:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team.
    Red was on GBA and Blue was on DS.

12. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    I agree with your first statement.

Sadly, if Nintendo really uses a Tegra, I don't think the 3DS will be more powerful than mobile phones. They are always evolving and, even if the 3DS is more powerful than them at the time of its release, mobile phone will soon overtake it. However, I think the 3DS still will have better games, because it is dedicated for gaming.

13. Njrg

United States
    Don't forget Square Enix's Final Fantasy 5&6
    Capcom's gay Battle Network.
    Nintendo's Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby, and WarioWare.
    And other games I don't care to remember.

Konami bundled Castlevania games to re-release them.
    Whoever made GT Advance bundled GT Advance 1,2, and 3 (4?) together.
    I don't remember, but maybe Ninja 5-0 got in a bundle somewhere.
    GBA's last quality game was Yggdra Union, and that was nearly all the way at the end of the cycle.

14. choconado

Member choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States

This. Though imho, I consider these facts to be a "no" answer to the question, unlike OP's "yes".

15. Inunah

United States
    WHAT?! WHERE DID YOU LEARN THIS AND IS THIS DUMPED. IF IT ISN'T EXIST YET, THIS IS EXTREME MADNESS.

16. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    seems so unless you like anything that came out in the past year (lol) it is a pure shovelware system.

17. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    [​IMG] Fail, many great games came out in the past year.

18. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Look how long the GBA lasted after the DS came out, so many awesome games were pouring out until the end. The DS has ATLEAST another 3-5 years, if not more. (Depending on whether the 3DS is an whole new console, or just another variation, and whatever happens at E3)

19. Njrg

United States
    Google it on your preferred Rom list.

[​IMG]

20. Inunah

United States
    Oh. I was looking in NDS. LOL I was expecting a rerelease on NDS, not GBA... Though I can't say I'm surprised.

Handy though... Two games with the space of at least 1. :3