Are the brand new Wii's moddable?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by nastysoda, Jun 26, 2010.

Jun 26, 2010
  1. nastysoda
    OP

Newcomer nastysoda Member

United States
    I'd like to get a new Black wii and mod it to play backups on an external HD, but i am worried if they are now shipping with 4.3 on them? Anyone know much about this? Also what are the limitations on the external HD, any size limit? or brand? Thank you

2. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You won't see systems with 4.3 in retail stores for at least a month or two. Nintendo pushes the updates to the update servers, and then at some stage after that the factory image is updated, and then those Wiis have to make their way to retail shelves.

3. Lothlorian

Member Lothlorian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ninty does not have a Magical updater to update unsold Wii's on the market. I'm quite certain if you buy a Wii today it WILL NOT have 4.3 on it. It will probably take at least 6 months before it shows up in mass on brand new Wii's

4. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    google usb hd compatibility list

and google everything else you asked, since in the last couple days theres a million ppl asking the same thing. I think this is the fourth time answering this for me

5. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Look here to find out what HDD to get. I recommend the Iomega 1TB Prestige Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0.

4.3 Wii's won't be on the market this soon. It'll take several weeks.

6. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    by the time 4.3 is in stores, we'll be worrying about modding 4.4 [​IMG]

7. Zantagor

Member Zantagor GBAtemp Regular

Canada

I just bought one of those today, and no matter what I do, it would freeze after around 5 minutes. Friend of mine has one too and have no issues.

My Seagate FreeAgent seems to be working relatively well, except for the odd hiccups.

I feel ike the Iomega has the same hiccups, but does not "survive" them.

Got any ideas on this?

8. bwillb

Member bwillb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yknow hte technology exists that they could if they ever decided that they wanted to package that technology in with the wii [​IMG]
    can't see em doing it though, the cost wouldn't be worth it to them. Plus it would create such an outcry from the press...

9. rafao

Newcomer rafao Advanced Member

Brazil
    Great part of wii consoles (more than 70%) are shipping with new 4.3U and a new drive to blocks DVD reads.

So still actually i use two pendrives to load my games, but i have plan to buy a external HDD in future.

10. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    No. It doesnt. You realize that for this to happen, the wii would have to be providing power to the whole system and the wifi module, connecting to a network that may or may not be protected, is not pre defined, and may not even exist? Not to mention that the wii would have to be powered... meaning the box would have to be plugged in.