Are the batteries same? (Canada and Europe)

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Sunleafii, May 25, 2013.

1. Sunleafii
    OP

Sunleafii Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2013
    Poland
    Białystok, Poland
    So I'm thinking about buying a DS Lite from my good friend ;) the problem is that the battery is broken in it and this console was purchased in Canada. New batteries for Lite aren't expensive and I'm sure I would save some money if I bought the DS from her and a new battery for it.
    But I live in Europe and since the DS is from Canada, won't it be a problem if the new battery is European?
    I did a quick research and some page said that US batteries last up to 19 hours, while the European ones last up to 6 hours. I know the chargers are different for sure, but she already has the EU adapter. So what do you think? And I don't want to buy a new DS, it's not worth it ;). I don't want a 3DS either, because I'd like to play GBA games.
    Thank you for any help!

2. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    yes they are the same, its just the charger is not

Sunleafii likes this.
  3. Sunleafii
    OP

Sunleafii Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2013
    Poland
    Białystok, Poland
    Alright, thanks a lot @dragonblood9999 :) so I'll buy the DS from her and a new battery. Charger isn't a problem, since she already has the adapter. Thanks a bundle :).

4. bialy_gibson

bialy_gibson GBAtemp Regular

Oct 19, 2007
    Poland
    You probably won't be able to buy original DS batteries (which last up to 19 hours). The only ones available are poor quality replacements (which last only couple of hours).

Sunleafii likes this.
  5. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Watch out; the higher the claim, the lower the actual performance.

On eBay, I bought a DSi battery listed as 2000mAh, got it as "1680" mAh, and was in reality ~500mAh.

Sunleafii likes this.
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That 19 hour battery must have been some really bulky 3rd party one. You can't get original batteries that last that long (I wish)
    Nintendo still sells original replacement batteries and other accessories, including DS ones. I don't have the link to their european online store, someone else might, but the price is $15 for a new DS Lite battery on the US store.
    Edit: Found the UK store. http://nos.nintendo-europe.com/ but it seems only the US store has DS accessories :(

Nintendo still sells original replacement batteries and other accessories in their online store.

Sunleafii likes this.
  7. bialy_gibson

Oct 19, 2007
    Poland
    AFAIK they only ship those to US and Canada. There are some on ebay though, but I have no idea if they are genuine parts.

Sunleafii likes this.
  8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The US store does, but there is a UK store. But like I said, the UK one doesn't sell DS accessories...

Sunleafii likes this.
  9. Sunleafii
    OP

Sunleafii Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2013
    Poland
    Białystok, Poland
    Wow, you guys are truly helpful ;)!

@bialy_gibson You're from Poland, just like me, so hello there pal :D!
    I am gonna buy the batteries at allegro, that's an online store like eBay, but allegro is a Polish site, so I won't have to wait much for the shipping.
    I already found 2 auctions with original ;) DS batteries, a new one for approx. 17 dollars and an used one for approx. 5 dollars.
    They are original, here's the pic from the used one: http://img07.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/32/73/92/39/3273923913
    Tbh, I don't care that much whether the battery lasts 9 or 12 hours as I don't play much on the go. I guess that 8-9 hours is just good for me. Still, the more, the better :lol:.

One more question. DS Lite and DSi have the same batteries, but DS (Classic) has different, right? Just to be sure what I'm buying.

Thanks a lot, everyone!

10. bialy_gibson

Oct 19, 2007
    Poland
    Hello, fellow countrywoman ;).

Every version of DS has its own battery type.

Oh, check Your PM box.

Sunleafii likes this.
  11. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    My DS is from the USA and ya the batteries are all the same mate just double check the charger before you plug it in

Sunleafii likes this.
  12. Sunleafii
    OP

Sunleafii Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2013
    Poland
    Białystok, Poland
    @bialy_gibson Wow, thanks xD!

So all my doubts have been solved, thanks to all of you ;). I know what to do, so soon I'm gonna get my hands on the DS Lite with all the accesories :D
    Thank you once more! I've asked the same question on 2 forums earlier and this forum is the first to give the most accurate help ;)! You are really keen on it! Thanks!

13. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    For those wondering, the DS Phat and the GBA SP use nearly the same batteries; there are just some plastic tabs on one type, and sanding or cutting those off will let them fit and work in the other. I wish I remembered which was which.

14. kumpandjill

kumpandjill GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    United States
    i'm pretty sure the DS one works in the SP but not the other way around. a friend of mine figured it out long ago when he had a broken phatty