Are Taiwan-made Kingston Micro SD cards still terrible?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by excellen, Apr 17, 2010.

1. excellen
    OP

Newcomer excellen Newbie

United States
    I ordered a 2GB Kingston micro SD a week ago and it ended up being a Taiwan-made card. I don't have a flashcart to test it with right now but are they as bad as I've heard compared to Japan-made Kingstons?

The only issues that would make me consider buying another JP made card are noticeably slower backup loading times and slowdown or crashing in games.

If they still have any of those problems, can anyone confirm some resellers that sell Japan-made Kingston micro SDs?

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    For the majority of them, they could actually be bootleg, aka fakes in real packaging. If your in the USA, use an online retailer known to not sell fakes for microSDHCs. Sites like Newegg will normally not sell fakes. Or use resellerratings to locate a good online retailer with a good user rating.

3. excellen
    OP

Newcomer excellen Newbie

United States
    Well I got mine from amazon so I'm sure it's legitimate

Is it only a difference between fake and genuine cards then? Would a genuine JP Kingston microSD perform the same as a genuine Taiwanese Kingston microSD?

4. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    No, the Japanese cards Toshiba are still upto twice the speed of tha Taiwanese Toshiba cards. Varies card to card.

5. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    I have a Taiwanese Kingston and it works almost perfectly.

6. MarioBrotha

Member MarioBrotha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I also have a Taiwanese MicroSD and have never had a slowdown or crash in my AK2i