Are retro games "meant" to be bought by these people?

Demifiend

The bored one
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been watching some youtubers, specially individuals like the AVGN, Pat the NES punk, etc. who have a crap ton of NES games and retro stuff in general, in fact, is so big that real book libraries are filled with cartridges of the original games, and as such, they aren't that "friendly" with the terms of emulation, or playing roms within a computer and such.

But this stance is not only with them, is also with most reviewers who have the need to "Show" the cartridge in order to explain said game, is like "Hey, look at me, i have this rare golden cartridge whose worth is the same as a new car, and i'm gonna review it right now, and here!", even some people support them and think that everyone should buy the cartridges or CD's in order to get the "Real experience".

What kind of "Real Experience" is paying overpriced articles that were long discontinued?, many old games are known to be ridiculously expensive such as Little Samson, Stadium Events, Ducktales 2, etc. heck, even games like Darkwing Duck for the NES, the cartridge alone costs about 60 to 70 dollars, that's more or less the price of a new retail AAA game!.

Not only they do have lots of retro games in their bookshelves, they also have old consoles like the CDi, the Virtual Boy, Coleco Vision, Intellivision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Atari Jaguar, Turbografx 16 with the CD add-on, the 3DO, etc.

A console like the CDi or the 3DO aren't exactly cheap, neither were back then, neither are right now, which makes me ask, if someone is so akin, against, vs piracy in all its forms, should people in terms of legal matters buy all the games, regardless if its out of the stores or not?.

Because according to the laws, a game is only free domain after 60 to 70 years the death of the author who owns the licensee of the game, this isn't applied when the games aren't Copyrighted nor sold at a retail price, ie Free. That means we won't play games like "Super Mario Bros" or "Legend of Zelda" in legal terms through emulation only after Miyamoto dies, and about 70 years have passed.

Virtual Console games on Nintendo don't help either, they only pick like "This game or maybe that game" but you need to purchase Nintendo points in order to get them, and in the end, is only more emulation, but is "Legal emulation" because Nintendo has the licensees to publish those games in there.

So, what do you think, should people buy the retro games they can afford (despite not supporting the developers because they are onto new games, or are extinct companies) and not emulate by any means, or the opposite?.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
So, what do you think, should people buy the retro games they can afford (despite not supporting the developers because they are onto new games, or are extinct companies) and not emulate by any means, or the opposite?.
collectionism doesn't make much sense..
there was this guy who is trying (or did try) to get every fucking vhs copy of one single movie
there are people who collect actress pubic hair, beer caps, any kind of imaginable thing you can think off...
the retro games in their true form, are only for collectors...
i am a 20+ year old i love to play on the original consoles but only cuz nostalgia value.. however my friends go all like "you know you can play that on your phone in emulators right?"
nowdays emulators give a new life to theese retro games.. with stuff like improved graphics, save states, cheats...
you have both worlds, you can play a game like it was intended to be played, or with improvements so you don't loose thoose 5 hours you had been playing sonic the hedgehog...

i really agree that it's just bullshit that nintendo or sony doesn't shove the entire library of their emulated systems on the stores
come on.. only in 2016 they decided to release the first pokemon games for VC. and we had been doing it since we found out how to inject the games...
they didn't really port the games, or remake them.. they just developed a "player" with the game bundled on it
same case with the ps2 classics on the ps3 and psx on psp...
this means they can pretty easily make the entire library avaiable...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay. I find myself saying that a lot around here but it is still very true.
If you can afford it and you enjoy it then more power to you. I would agree that emulation provides me a functional equivalent or even functionally superior means of playing games, not sure how it is relevant there though.

Also what bearing does supporting companies have to do with anything? Second hand is a legit/legal market, well established in games and other intellectual property based fields and has been for decades. Them not supporting game devs now seems about as relevant as my granddad not supporting game devs because he likes to buy old cars and trucks.

You mentioned emulation being a dirty word to some that are prominent in the gaming press and similar fields, I find this somewhat amusing myself and there might be something more to discuss here. I don't know where it started, though I am going to point somewhat at Nintendo as they seem to have informed several similar opinions over the years.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I like playing old games on their original hardware (or BC on consoles/handhelds)
And good games I'd like to have retail.

I know I can emulate most games but eh, playing it on the original hardware is so much better then emulation.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know I can emulate most games but eh, playing it on the original hardware is so much better then emulation.

Why? If it bothers you (for most games I would hold most can not tell) then frame accurate is a thing you an do, we can emulate the failures of CRT ( http://bogost.com/games/a_television_simulator/ ), emulators have cheats, audio and video filters, savestates, enhancements like those afforded by lua, no region issues, easier ability to run hacks and if it matters you can even play with a controller that is or plays like the original piece of junk the system came with. I guess if you want the scent of decades old fire retardant chemicals you might have a harder time as the perfumers have so far only done books so far ( http://ebookfriendly.com/book-smell-perfumes-candles/ )... *looks up how carcinogenic such chemicals are*.

D

Deleted-379826

These crazy collectors waste their time tbh. Spending all your money on something that's MEANT to collect dust is really a waste! I mean it's okay if you have a small collection of a series or something, I think we all do! But when you are spending, almost *MILLIONS* of dollars on filler for your shelf and to say "lol n00b I have this and you don't, oh yeah and this and this and this, just look at this sexy shelf and that shelf and that one and that one, and can you tell all the money I put into that filler for my shelf that you don't have????". Really it's a waste. There's better things you can save your money for and better things you can use that space on. Who cares if you have it and no one else does? Now there are some collections that are okay. Let's say I have every final fantasy game, because I love Final Fantasy. Now let's assume because they love it, they will put those to use. Loving every second of the game. But when you have such a huge collection like for example AVGN, you know you are *NEVER* going to finish or even touch a third or more of what you have. It again is just to say, I have it and you don't!

So pretty much what I'm trying to say is if you are a collector like AVGN, you wasted your space, time and a LOT of your precious, hard-earned money! But if you are just a casual collector, then it is always fun especially since you know you *ACTUALLY WILL* use those items!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why? If it bothers you (for most games I would hold most can not tell) then frame accurate is a thing you an do, we can emulate the failures of CRT ( http://bogost.com/games/a_television_simulator/ ), emulators have cheats, audio and video filters, savestates, enhancements like those afforded by lua, no region issues, easier ability to run hacks and if it matters you can even play with a controller that is or plays like the original piece of junk the system came with. I guess if you want the scent of decades old fire retardant chemicals you might have a harder time as the perfumers have so far only done books so far ( http://ebookfriendly.com/book-smell-perfumes-candles/ )... *looks up how carcinogenic such chemicals are*.

So much effort when you can just plug in an N64 game in an N64 and start it.
Emulation can do so much but one thing it can't.
The nostalgic feel.

Reactions: DaFixer
D

Deleted-379826

I mean I'm pretty young so I have pretty much no nostalgia to these older consoles. Although I would have to agree, there is just something about pure hardware that makes it so much better! And I can agree with this with no nostalgia at all!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What effort? Much of that happens out of the box, so to speak, and probably does not involve me getting out of my chair.

Also that nostalgia thing must vary between people, and possibly be all in their head. Maybe you could train yourself to think otherwise.

D

Deleted-379826

What effort? Much of that happens out of the box, so to speak, and probably does not involve me getting out of my chair.

Also that nostalgia thing must vary between people, and possibly be all in their head. Maybe you could train yourself to think otherwise.
Yeah I don't mind the "effort". I honestly like both but there is something about real hardware! (again this is not nostalgia based because I have none, I'm young and also played on many emulators when I was very very young too!)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You will never have the "real experience" as someone may want to call it.
The real experience includes being part of it happening, when it happened, immerse in the spirit of the time.
The hardships (or lack of) of getting the game when it was released is part of the experience. Also the marketing. Etc.
You just can't have the original experience, even if you are a colector. The original experience belongs to a short timeframe, it is ephemeral. Deal with it, that's life.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You will never have the "real experience" as someone may want to call it.
The real experience includes being part of it happening, when it happened, immerse in the spirit of the time.
The hardships (or lack of) of getting the game when it was released is part of the experience. Also the marketing. Etc.
You just can't have the original experience, even if you are a colector. The original experience belongs to a short timeframe, it is ephemeral. Deal with it, that's life.

I don't know. A lot of that might have been ignorance as well -- without internet, having game guides mean something (as opposed to ctrl+f on gamefaqs), being too cheap to buy games magazines (had to buy computer shopper with my pocket money instead) it changed how things go. Not really in a good way, though I purposely ignore trailers until I have the option to wander into town and slap some cash on a counter I still like having footage, 500 different reviews from all sorts (definitely more reliable than my mates on the playground and a few adults that knew something of games) to skim through and more at my fingertips.
Anyway the point of that would be it could be radically different for a lot of people, and thus there is some scope for something there. Now maybe in 20 years when the old stuff is 360 games that might even be more relevant as we all have somewhat more uniform memories of things.

The nature of games which are more fleeting in the ability to be played spawned some great discussions though. The nature of args/alternate reality games that are conducted over the live internet and may well eventually see servers go down and people figure out puzzles and actually change things... being my favourite jumping off point. More conventional online games with a levelling system that sticks between matches is another, though it usually boils down to the ramp up and when most players are "end game" levelled.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
the reason I collect old consoles is cause one day im going to be a super hacker.

I need the real console to reserve engineer it and so people can do emulation with super perfect coding.

so I can play all the games on emulation.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do 90% of my retro gaming via emulation unless it's something like the DS (I just don't like the controls). I don't have a ton of room so having all my games in my gaming PC or 3DS is jsut fine for me.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But this stance is not only with them, is also with most reviewers who have the need to "Show" the cartridge in order to explain said game, is like "Hey, look at me, i have this rare golden cartridge whose worth is the same as a new car, and i'm gonna review it right now, and here!", even some people support them and think that everyone should buy the cartridges or CD's in order to get the "Real experience".
not really.. I mean, having it to collect is cool and stuff, imagina shwing, even a bootleg, recca 92, something nobody saw outsie japan haha
but sponsored youtubers can't show piracy in any form, even more say "come be a pirate you too!" haha some do it at start but wen get an sponsor they can't do it, pira is agains the law so if you use dto show sentai games recorded form a region modded console, now you need a japanese console to do that, or even a mod to record it (this i'm not sure ? how to record GB whitout a mod or a emulator? I mean, not looking crappy haha)

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't emulate much anymore because like playing games on the original hardware. For super rare flashcarts and the occasional ODE are a thing.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
but I think stuff over priced is so wrong .. I emna .. having the old nes card of mario is like " wow a piece of story", is like having a helmet used on a crusade (?) It's the only menaing of that, why being so pricey? Idk :/
You can have a bootleg that will live more and maybe, mad erecetly that ena sit gonna last more and maybe made with more quality than the original made in 80's
Same if you want a replica of the hermet on your room, insteda of an actuall histoy item xD
The gameplay would be the same, the decoration too so well idk :/

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but I think stuff over priced is so wrong .. I emna .. having the old nes card of mario is like " wow a piece of story", is like having a helmet used on a crusade (?) It's the only menaing of that, why being so pricey? Idk :/
You can have a bootleg that will live more and maybe, mad erecetly that ena sit gonna last more and maybe made with more quality than the original made in 80's
Same if you want a replica of the hermet on your room, insteda of an actuall histoy item xD
The gameplay would be the same, the decoration too so well idk :/
Supply and demand.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply put, many people care about being as true to the original experience the games were released as, as possible.

Furthermore, any reviewer that is trying to make a name for themselves wants to be legit and not land in any hot water, if a game developer finds that a reviewer is illegally playing and reviewing a game of theirs via emulation so that they can monetize on that gameplay/review, they could find themselves in legal trouble. Having said that last part, I'm not sure why that kind of person wouldn't just play those games on the virtual console if they are available, unless again they subscribe to my first point there.

Last edited by duffmmann,
Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free