Are retro games "meant" to be bought by these people?

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Supply and demand.
nah we have n64 zelda OoT enough to build an actuall hyrule castle around here (lol) but people still sell them por over R$(BRL) 200 only cart :/
thia also happens with oot 3D (but brazilian eshop don't help... having it at the lauch price of R$150, used also go over 200 .... ) it's all because it's labeled " zelda" and aren't that rare ...

other I don't see much demand is Harvets moon 64... actually I found it by a good price but could not get it... :c
but prices all over 100 U$D on ebay (if english version, japanese can be found by lower)
If there are demand for this are only crazy collector (and not sure if someone would like a HM labbeled games thes edays... natsume is killing the name D: lol), that don't looks a great demand ... not even rarity since we can find some lots of it ... so really why? if he have 5 HM64 and sell 2 for 100$ and never sell the rest, selling all by 30$ would make he earn more lol
This only make people far from having the taste of playing it ....

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the heck is going on here? I thought this was a debate of who are retro games for? Retro? what does that mean? Hold on.

ret·ro1
ˈretrō/
adjective
adjective: retro
  1. 1.
    imitative of a style, fashion, or design from the recent past.
    "retro 60s fashions"
noun
noun: retro
  1. 1.
    clothes or music whose style or design is imitative of those of the recent past.
    "a look that mixes Italian casual wear and American retro"
Okay so it means someone must have created a history of it to consider it retro. If that nerd and that punk has a history of a game, is retro to them or anyone. I have a history of playing sonic 3 on a genesis, when it was available. So is retro to me to play it. Weather or not you play on real console as intended or on many compilation disc, (Sonic mega collection, gems collection, Ultimate megadrive collection, playstation network download, Virtual console, whatever) Means no difference besides your not playing on a genesis. I have lots of compliation games that are retro. the game itself is not much different than it was before. Mega man legacy collection for 3DS is 6 NES GAMES IN ONE FORMAT! IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU FIND ON THE 6 MEGAMAN GAMES ON VC! Only difference is your not in 1994, with a nes console with controller and using a non HD or better looking tv. Either way it can be played and that what matters.

That nerd and that punk do what they want to. If their point is relive NOSTALGIA, then retro gaming has nothing to do with it. NOSTALGIA is the act of doing something that gives you the sense of repeating what you once did. They are aiming for that. That nerd aim is to play a game exactly how he remembers playing it. So you can invision how bad they are (or good if he does play good ones) If you played castlevania 2 simon's quest or Teenage mutant ninja turtles in 1988, then is considered retro games. Is opinion based. Playing Castlevania on VC is retro. Depend how one feels about it is their nostalgia.

I don't believe they are shaming emulators. They just aren't aiming for that, is in fact that the nerd admit to using emulation to play Hong Kong 97 Cause "There was no copies to exist" I dunno much about it, maybe is a public domain game, some bootleg or homebrew, those hardly get cart release unless someone make it themself. Their goal is always to play the game as originally intended, never did anyone shame or disregard emulation. Is nothing against it, i also wish people stop debating or arguing over emulation vs console policies.

I like them both. Console provides easy acess to playing games with simple insert game and plug controller and play. The bad side is nes had so many glitches in games graphically due to contact issues and such that is out of player control that can get annoying. Games wth no save or passwords that is long (Blaster master, castlevania, ghost and goblins and super mario bros 3) are not easy to finish with those reasons. Also limit to one controller that isn't exactly comfortable for eveyrone is a thing.

Emulators provide enhancements while trying to achieve full perfect compatibilty and remove restrictions and limitations consoles were having like the region free, playing Famicom disk system Japan only thing, better upscaled graphics and colors on modern hd screens, Turbo, rapid fire, cheats, multiplayer support, graphic filters, ability to fix problems, less glitches or issues with games due to not being hardware with contacts, save states for games with no save at all, even online play and other great ideas. Multiple controller support using moderen contoller and can remapped buttons to fit desired player preference.

I do admit that some emulators do take lots of patience to set up and is a hassle like the MAME or Neo geo stuff. Where you could have simple time of just playing the console of it. Setting up epsxe emulator with getting bios, finding graphic plugins and shaders, looking for other plugins, configure memory cards, setting up input and copying your disc to iso or bin format if you want or just using the disc drive, could take time and easier to just put the disc in the console and play it. Some is not complex but either way emulation is a option and should just be the players decision to play however they please.

Like @FAST6191 said, Emulation has positive things i like more than console. But @DinohScene Also make the valid point of easy access and getting things working with less effort, along with best compatibility. No one is in the wrong here.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Sheepy Me

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no shoulds to buying retro games. People shouldn't have a problem with something so minuscule as collecting. You should however at least know the cause and effect of emulating, specifically when you emulate a game that you didn't buy. When you emulate something you got off some website, your support doesn't vanish. Let Sheepy Me tell you, instead of supporting people working to do things the right way, you support criminal organizations and terrorists.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
...uh...if you collect things, generally you try to find really good deals in batches and then flip duplicates for cash that fund your collection ._.

It's not like they just bust down all of their money and go broke...
This is exactly what I do! That works well.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There is no shoulds to buying retro games. People shouldn't have a problem with something so minuscule as collecting. You should however at least know the cause and effect of emulating, specifically when you emulate a game that you didn't buy. When you emulate something you got off some website, your support doesn't vanish. Let Sheepy Me tell you, instead of supporting people working to do things the right way, you support criminal organizations and terrorists.
I don't agree you on part that collection is minuscle, it's help to keep story alive, to know that wasn't a lie that someone written these (at least in parts? XD)...it's the proof lol
I just don't think it should be so overpriced , history id for all :P this is why I'm ok with cheaper replicas XD

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Over the years I guess I've just had bad experiences with pure emulation. Either its lag or annoying Input lag, maybe even glitches. I especially noticed this when playing battletoads on a Nes Emu. You'd think they would have console perfect emulation for the nes by now.
I've found playing on original hardware just works. I don't mind things like flash carts or even hardware mods. But I do prefer original hardware. Most flash carts do provide stuff like save states and cheats also. So in a way flash carts provide the best of both worlds!!

btw, If everyone is happy with emulation, then why worry about the prices of legit hardware\carts :wtf:

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will never have the "real experience" as someone may want to call it.
The real experience includes being part of it happening, when it happened, immerse in the spirit of the time.
The hardships (or lack of) of getting the game when it was released is part of the experience. Also the marketing. Etc.
You just can't have the original experience, even if you are a colector. The original experience belongs to a short timeframe, it is ephemeral. Deal with it, that's life.

I was there. I'm o.a.f., for this place anyway. Next birthday will be the five-0. I was a freshman in college when the NES hit. I spent jr. high and high school playing Atari at home, and arcade games at the mall and pizza shop.

Having played on the original hardware, I still prefer the original hardware. I do have an "Adaptoid" usb adaptor for the N64 controller that at least provides a Nintendo feel on emus, but it's still an emu. But while I prefer having the real consoles, I also prefer my N8, SD2SNES, ED64 2.5, and that my Saturn, GCN, and Wii are modded. I'm not gonna pay a couple hundred bucks to get some obscure Saturn game. There are current systems at retail that get that money.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Flashcarts for life for me. I love playing on original hardware, but no way I'm going to pay more than five bucks for a 20-years old game. And five bucks WOULD be the real price for these items, if it wasn't for people with more cash than good sense which are ruining the market for the majority: normal people that love old videogames.

"Collectors" can choke on their wads of cash (which I'd spend on hookers and blow, if I were them) :yaysp:

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Flashcarts for life for me. I love playing on original hardware, but no way I'm going to pay more than five bucks for a 20-years old game. "Collectors" can choke on their wads of cash (which I'd spend on hookers and blow, if I were them) :yaysp:
sad that flashcards are also not cgeap :/ of course woth more play X in a flahscard toplay all the games+ than one old game XD

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
sad that flashcards are also not cgeap :/ of course woth more play X in a flahscard toplay all the games+ than one old game XD
I prefer giving $100 to a guy which has actually worked hard to produce some good hardware than a sleazy scalper on eBay that happened to buy that same cartridge he's now reselling on eBay for 50 bucks for 2$ in a thrift shop somewhere. These people should be getting a real job instead of ruining retrogaming for everyone.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I prefer giving $100 to a guy which has actually worked hard to produce some good hardware than a sleazy scalper on eBay that happened to buy that same cartridge he's now reselling on eBay for 50 bucks for 2$ in a thrift shop somewhere. These people should be getting a real job instead of ruining retrogaming for everyone.
agree

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashcarts for life for me. I love playing on original hardware, but no way I'm going to pay more than five bucks for a 20-years old game. And five bucks WOULD be the real price for these items, if it wasn't for people with more cash than good sense which are ruining the market for the majority: normal people that love old videogames.

"Collectors" can choke on their wads of cash (which I'd spend on hookers and blow, if I were them) :yaysp:
i used to collect videogames, but then i started to collect videogames that i only used to play as a kid, once i hit that, i quit, of course i got like massive rom packs on every console i can put my hands on, PS3, XBOX 360, XBOX, WII, PC, DS, 3DS, PSP are some of them that are fully loaded, however, there is always that "Nostalgic" felling to play the cartridge or the game itself on the original hardware, the felling to own a game cartridge its nice.

Sure thing, i also got my R4, and some flashcards, but that doe snot mean that i dont have my old retro games on my living room, you know what they say.

"Nostalgia Sells" just watch Nintendo releasing his 30 games mini nes, sega releasing again his 65 games console, or all the FlashBacks consoles? C:

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't understand the topic of discussion, I see people saying their opinion and preference regarding console or emulation use and buying games for high prices. The title ask "Are retro game 'meant' to be bought by these people?" The original post stated two specific youtubers and their nes collections, why is no one discussing that? Someone tell me what we should be talking about here cause i still don't understand. :unsure:

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i used to collect videogames, but then i started to collect videogames that i only used to play as a kid, once i hit that, i quit, of course i got like massive rom packs on every console i can put my hands on, PS3, XBOX 360, XBOX, WII, PC, DS, 3DS, PSP are some of them that are fully loaded, however, there is always that "Nostalgic" felling to play the cartridge or the game itself on the original hardware, the felling to own a game cartridge its nice.

Sure thing, i also got my R4, and some flashcards, but that doe snot mean that i dont have my old retro games on my living room, you know what they say.

"Nostalgia Sells" just watch Nintendo releasing his 30 games mini nes, sega releasing again his 65 games console, or all the FlashBacks consoles? C:
I don't have any issues with real collectors (I'm one myself, I collect all the hardware I couldn't buy when I was a kid), what I have a problem with is that most "Collectors" are willing to spend a shitload of money on something which shouldn't cost more than X only because they've got a shitload of money (which they probably didn't work for anyway, otherwise they'd have a better idea of how much an item like that is worth) and can outbid everyone else. Then the abnormally high bid becomes the new "normal" and everything goes down the drain.

If there weren't people willing to spend $500 for an EarthBound cartridge, sellers would be forced to sell them for $20 - but nope, that doesn't happen because you have some rich kid somewhere that can blow $500 on a game. As long as these kind of people exist, the entire market of retrogaming is going to be ruined for everyone.

Heck, if prices were still normal (they were until... 6-7 years ago?) my house would be filled to the brim with cartridges, by now.

I still don't understand the topic of discussion, I see people saying their opinion and preference regarding console or emulation use and buying games for high prices. The title ask "Are retro game 'meant' to be bought by these people?" The original post stated two specific youtubers and their nes collections, why is no one discussing that? Someone tell me what we should be talking about here cause i still don't understand. :unsure:
That's a different matter - those people actually rake in a lot of cash every time they release a new video and as such it is IMPERATIVE for them to own the real deal, otherwise you could easily see Nintendo/SEGA/whatever suing their ass for millions.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To add onto this, I like to have real carts because of how much I like stuff like the SNES/GBA but shelling out $200 for an SD2SNES is a no-brainer because there's no reason earthbound, chrono trigger, MMX2 and X3 should cost that much (plus with stuff like my Link to the Past battery dying), and I'm still willing to pay to play on real hardware instead of emulating. I still hope the SD2SNES gets an update in the future for SA-1 but that's got to be far out. Super Mario RPG is climbing, just hope my battery doesn't go out (though I am missing dream land 3, which is pushing $85 these days).

Also, thanks for the EDGBA Review, mine just shipped with the edgb too and I'm excited to play them on my GC :D

Last edited by Hking0036,
Reactions: raulpica

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any issues with real collectors (I'm one myself, I collect all the hardware I couldn't buy when I was a kid), what I have a problem with is that most "Collectors" are willing to spend a shitload of money on something which shouldn't cost more than X only because they've got a shitload of money (which they probably didn't work for anyway, otherwise they'd have a better idea of how much an item like that is worth) and can outbid everyone else. Then the abnormally high bid becomes the new "normal" and everything goes down the drain.

If there weren't people willing to spend $500 for an EarthBound cartridge, sellers would be forced to sell them for $20 - but nope, that doesn't happen because you have some rich kid somewhere that can blow $500 on a game. As long as these kind of people exist, the entire market of retrogaming is going to be ruined for everyone.
$500 for a game i don't even like? I rather pay the $8 on virtual console for it if that is the case. O_O
Or compliation game or whatever. I still don't know why stuff is sold for so much when there is cost efficent alternatives like virtual consle. Never would i pay over 100$ for ANY GAME EVER! Even if i want it or not. They want money and that how people are, leave me out. :O

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Heck, if prices were still normal (they were until... 6-7 years ago?) my house would be filled to the brim with cartridges, by now.

That's a different matter - those people actually rake in a lot of cash every time they release a new video and as such it is IMPERATIVE for them to own the real deal, otherwise you could easily see Nintendo/SEGA/whatever suing their ass for millions.
oh alright, as example, we cna use Megaman X2, and Megaman X3 lol...

Reactions: raulpica

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to buy retro games, but not at the level of spending too much money for them. For example a copy of Pokemon Blue, in the box, manual, all that, for $300? Hell no, $20, okay, but that's still a stretch. Sometimes I do emulation, but I can't really fully get into it. Even now with being able to use a console controller like a Gamecube one on some emulators, I'd rather have the hardware and the games all physical, plugged into a TV. In a way I could separate video games from the PC (except of course for PC games), and multi task in some way. On another note, I would actually like to get more into flashcarts as a way to test some games out when considering getting the physical copy, in particular N64 games and getting that Everdrive cart.

As someone who watches AVGN, it's a marvel to see the large game collections. While it's a long term financial burden, it's still really impressive. They made the money and have the space, so let them do what they want, answering the question posed by the thread title. Something that came to mind, the internet and the rise of retro gaming kind of caused this collection craze, in the sense of an avenue to show off the real deal. The first AVGN episode, Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, was played on an emulator, and that was 2004. With Youtube and live streaming, the call to have more flair in presentation occurs, and physical copies are more relevant. On one hand, a certain and maybe large audience wouldn't bother with seeing gameplay of someone playing off an emulator, so time to pony up cash and get those games. But to note, some collectors like AVGN I think were collecting games even before the internet age, and come from that generation that wants to preserve that history. The names mentioned in the OP aren't millennials, and I doubt there are many millennials that have that collection drive. I'm one, and I don't have that kind of drive, I'd like to get into it a bit, but there's no way I can spend 20 years building up such a large collection as these other people. At least I can watch and imagine how it'd be like, that's fine for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)