Hacking Are "R4" and "M3 Simply" EXACTLY the same?

jordanlp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the R4 and M3ds Simply the exact same thing, I mean can they run exactly the same homebrew, do the exact same roms work?

I have been wanting an R4 for a while now but everyone says that they are the same thing... Are they?

The site I'm buying from the R4 is $38, but the M3ds Simply is only $36.

or should I get a DSTT, and if so can it run the same homebrew/roms as R4.

And please don't lie just because you prefer a specific cart.

I WANT THE TRUTH

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
THE TRUTH IS A LIE!

Anyhow, yes. The R4 and the M3 Simply are the same cart. The only difference is that two pins on the main chip are connected on one cart and not on the other. This is how the loader determines which cart it's running on.

I wouldn't buy either cart at this point. These days, any budget flashcart has all the features that the R4 has, better or at least equal rom compatibility (not that much of an issue, really), and SDHC support, and they cost less. Look into the Edge or the Acekard 2.

Edit: And to answer your question more directly, virtually all current slot 1 flashcarts have more or less the same compatibility with roms & homebrew.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
He made a mistake in the topic title, R4 and M3 Real aren't the same thing, but as the Destructobot said, M3 Simply and R4 ARE in fact the same cart..
I don't know why is R4 few bucks more than Simply, but you won't go wrong with either one of them..

jordanlp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, First of all I made no mistake in the topic title, it's "Are "R4" and "M3 Real" EXACTLY the same?".

And Thanks Guys, I figured they were slightly different but guess not.

Oh, and the store I was talking about is gamekool

Thanks

bazzi_h

Trophies
XP
Country
The M3 Real and R4 are very different, however the M3 Simply and the R4 are the same.
Never buy from Gamekool cause they're scammers
Edit: Oh I was too slow!

Kingfield

Trophies
XP
Country
The main advantage of the R4 IMO, is its much higher physical quality of the cart, and responsiveness (non-lagginess) of the menus, when compared to the lower budget carts

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have an R4 myself and all I can suggest to you is don't get an R4. It was a decent cart when it was first released, but due to hardware limitations, it quickly became dated. The R4, while still functional, is now a relic. Theres flashcards that cost the same or cost even less that have the same functionality of the R4 and then some. If you get an R4 now, You'll most likely just end up spending more money on another flashcard down the road.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
@jordanlp: I don't understand..You named topic is R4 and M3 Real the same cart, and then you ask if R4 and M3 Simply are the same thing!!

M3 Simply and M3 Real AREN'T the same thing!! Those are different carts, M3 Real is newer cart with SDHC support and some extra features, while M3 Simply is the SAME thing as R4, and is dated, and lacks extra features and SDHC support!!

So, I'm guessing..you did made a mistake..

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Happy R4 owner here, but prowl the site here a while, read the reviews of the new kids on the block, you can possibly buy a few newer options if you have the patience to read the forum for a while.

Just keep in mind, not all of the newer carts are equal. And some are actually just clones with not much to offer beyond being recent.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
M3Real and R4DS is a VERY different thing, in almost every aspect except these:

1.They can play NDS ROMS
2.Their size is pretty much the same, as big as a legit NDS cart
3.They use microSDs
4.They have firmwares

Other than that, from what I know, these 2 littles are different

M3Simply and R4DS is SIMPLY the same thing with only a few exceptions, one of them is that pin thing. got me? They can do the same things.

jordanlp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
@jordanlp: I don't understand..You named topic is R4 and M3 Real the same cart, and then you ask if R4 and M3 Simply are the same thing!!

M3 Simply and M3 Real AREN'T the same thing!! Those are different carts, M3 Real is newer cart with SDHC support and some extra features, while M3 Simply is the SAME thing as R4, and is dated, and lacks extra features and SDHC support!!

So, I'm guessing..you did made a mistake..

NO I DIDN'T, THE TOPIC TITLE IS ARE R4 AND M3 SIMPLY THE SAME
mad.gif
, CAN YOU READ.

There is no mistake, the topic asks if r4 and m3 simply are the same and that is the question I have asked.

Oh, and nobody told me about the R4 vs DSTT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all