Hardware Are people serious about "Switch 4K"?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 4,093
  • Replies 35
D

Deleted User

OP
As great as the Switch is, it tends to struggle with 1080p so games are limited to 720p and such, and even Xbox One X has a hard time at 4K with a good framerate so don't see why they're hyped about a rumored console when the games themselves can't run that high.

I'll say, there were two times that Nintendo made consoles more powerful than its competitors: Nintendo 64 and the GameCube (Xbox was still more powerful admittedly).

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its all about that pixel art in a razor-sharp 4k upscale.

Actually 4K seems more about selling a buzzword than reality. Its become a majority of new TVs and yet there still isn't that much real 4K media.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
upscaling is where it's at, which also could be done at a hardware level.
Also, we have a switch, we have a switch lite, a switch pro could also just be console only, and benefits greatly from not having to bother with battery usage/form factor.

Personally, I care a lot more about loading time and stable framerate on switch :) I also think HDR > 4k in general.

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the rumors are true and the next Switch model allows you to game at native 4k then that would really be awesome. Lots of streaming media is in 4k now, there's UHD discs being released on a weekly basis, computers/xbox one/ps4 can do 4k reasonably well. I'm going to buy the enhanced model no matter what, but having native 4k gaming would be really cool. It probably won't play UHD discs though, but I'll just use the PS5 I'm going to get for that purpose.

D

Deleted User

OP
upscaling is where it's at, which also could be done at a hardware level.
Also, we have a switch, we have a switch lite, a switch pro could also just be console only, and benefits greatly from not having to bother with battery usage/form factor.

Personally, I care a lot more about loading time and stable framerate on switch :) I also think HDR > 4k in general.
games running at actual 1080p would be better, as 720p or 900p looks worse than it should on a 1080p screen due to no having propper upscaling

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the rumors are true and the next Switch model allows you to game at native 4k then that would really be awesome. Lots of streaming media is in 4k now, there's UHD discs being released on a weekly basis, computers/xbox one/ps4 can do 4k reasonably well. I'm going to buy the enhanced model no matter what, but having native 4k gaming would be really cool. It probably won't play UHD discs though, but I'll just use the PS5 I'm going to get for that purpose.

The ps4 / xbox one for the most part does not play at 4k natively and there is no way the switch will play 4k natively, it's all about upscale.
And it's not a bad thing.

By the way, a lot (and I mean a LOT) of UHD movies are also upscaled. The majority of the time they are mastered in 2k and then upscaled (that include marvel movies :)), unless they get a remaster from analogic source, which then is often done in 4k directly or more.
When you buy a UHD disk most of the time the improvement will be most visible because of HDR/DV. In case of very old bluray (I think the Matrix is a good example or bluray encoded in MPEG2) a better compression algorithm will also make a big difference.
https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

D

Deleted User

OP
The ps4 / xbox one for the most part does not play at 4k natively and there is no way the switch will play 4k natively, it's all about upscale.

By the way, a lot (and I mean a LOT) of UHD movies are also upscaled. The majority of the time they are mastered in 2k and then upscaled (that include marvel movies :)), unless they get a remaster from analogic source, which then is often done in 4k directly or more.
When you buy a UHD disk most of the time the improvement will be most visible because of HDR/DV. In case of very old bluray (I think the Matrix is a good example or bluray encoded in MPEG2) a better compression algorithm will also make a big difference.
this applies to both movies and games, but i dont get why they focus so much in increasing the resolution and not the framerate

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, I'm aware some UHD movies aren't the full 4k, but they aren't exactly 1080p either. My computer can game with full specs set to max at 1440p and I do have a 4k monitor. Though my computer is mid-spec. There's r9 or i9 coupled with a 3080 that can easily spit out real 4k gaming with HDR enabled. When I eventually upgrade I will be getting the right hardware to game at 4k and also plan on getting both the Xbox X and PS5, which both can do native 4k. Having a Switch that could play the older games in 4k would be a godsend. I hope it happens as my giant UHD TV is ready :)

Reactions: Deleted User

peepy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its all about that pixel art in a razor-sharp 4k upscale.

Actually 4K seems more about selling a buzzword than reality. Its become a majority of new TVs and yet there still isn't that much real 4K media.
On pc it definitely isn’t a buzzword I used to think it was until I got a 4K monitor Damnnnn that shot is sharp

MaxToTheMax

Officially Ranked 3796th.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I thought they might do is release a new tablet that is just a switch that has a 1080p screen built in, and then sell a "Pro" dock that has a eGPU in it to boost the games up to 4K30 or something. Keep the old dock and controllers compatible so people will buy the new tablet now and then the new dock (And maybe redesigned joycons and/or Pro Controllers) later.

This would make the switch "pro" backwards compatible and give consumers a smart and more expense, but also longer upgrade path so it feels like less of a cash grab.

EDIT: I personally agree with targeting 1080p60 docked, but Nintendo is going to have to give the general population something to gawk at. Then again, this is Ninty we are talking about.... who knows what they might do?

Last edited by MaxToTheMax,
D

Deleted User

OP
What I thought they might do is release a new tablet that is just a switch that has a 1080p screen built in, and then sell a "Pro" dock that has a eGPU in it to boost the games up to 4K30 or something. Keep the old dock and controllers compatible so people will buy the new tablet now and then the new dock (And maybe redesigned joycons and/or Pro Controllers) later.

This would make the switch "pro" backwards compatible and give consumers a smart and more expense, but also longer upgrade path so it feels like less of a cash grab.

EDIT: I personally agree with targeting 1080p60 docked, but Nintendo is going to have to give the general population something to gawk at. Then again, this is Ninty we are talking about.... who knows what they might do?
what i would do is just make the pro dock, add extra storage, dp, ethernet and a dedicated upscaler

Reactions: MaxToTheMax

MaxToTheMax

Officially Ranked 3796th.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what i would do is just make the pro dock, add extra storage, dp, ethernet and a dedicated upscaler
Yeah, the only reason I say "make a new switch" is to drum up consumer interest. I don't want a WiiU-esk situation where someone with 2 brain cells that is over 50 goes out to buy the new switch dock for Jimmy on Xmas and gets confused lol

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind a beefier switch, but I'd need a 4K tv to make use of 4K. I don't plan to buy a new tv until my current one goes out. I'm much more interested in the number of hdmi inputs than 4K as my current tv only has 1 hdmi.

D

Deleted User

OP
Yeah, the only reason I say "make a new switch" is to drum up consumer interest. I don't want a WiiU-esk situation where someone with 2 brain cells that is over 50 goes out to buy the new switch dock for Jimmy on Xmas and gets confused lol
i dont know, i dont get why you'd want a 1080p screen on tablet mode seeing how games struggle to run at 720p on said mode, and even then, an egpu pro dock would not use said screeen (plus, i dont think the switch has thunderbolt 3, which is necessary for egpus), the dock pro idea of "just let it be extra storage and ports" is easier to sell, that or make a home only switch (they made a handheld only so i dont get why not) with a better cooling system so higher clocks are possible from the factory

Reactions: MaxToTheMax

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally, I think nintendo should focus on adding things to system software like themes, exporting saves, maybe even some sort of achievement system instead of making a beefed up system. I'd probably buy it, but whenever I play the switch, I feel a bit sad that it's not to the level it could be if nintendo would think once about their legit customers instead of the less than 1 percent that make up the pirates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1