Hacking Are nintendo-refurbished wii u's updated to latest firmware?

LiMiTx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna get a wii u soon and I've been looking for some good deals, and found that nintendo sells a decently priced refurbished 32 gb wii u with super mario 3d world, which i was planning on getting anyway. I was gonna buy either a 5.3.2 or one with a lower firmware then buy mario party 10 or splatoon to upgrade, but since this wii u is refurbished by nintendo, i was wondering if they update the wii u to the latest version in the process, because the super mario 3d world and nintendo land set is usually on like 5.10 or something if i remember right, and i honestly don't have the money to support nintendo and other devs and buy most games, it's already gonna take a while to save for the wii u

here are the links to them:

white 32gb:
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod610428
black 32gb:
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod560316

Last edited by LiMiTx,

blurx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are better off looking for one on ebay and asking the seller. You can even find one that is already on 5.3.2 if you check often enough since they sell quick which is where I bought mines.

Last edited by blurx,
Reactions: LiMiTx

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The lowest you will likely get directly from nintendo refurbished is 5.4.0. Don't quote me of course, they could still have some older ones lying around, but they use refurb units to "repair" broken ones when sent in too sometimes I'm sure. So chances seem low on getting 5.3.2 or lower in my opinion. Good luck either way though!

Reactions: LiMiTx

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a single console off Ebay (Brand new, comes from the Super Mario 3D World bundle which comes with physical copies of the games) and I'm crossing my fingers when it arrives Tuesday. Considering it's brand new, it's guaranteed to be on firmware 2.1.0 around there. Happy to be able to buy the console, without everything else. Now to sell off my Mario Kart 8 console (Brand new)

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

doolaik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I got my refurbed Zelda WiiU from Nintendo directly 4 months ago, it came with 5.3.2 and I was pleasantly surprised. Although, the most updated firmware at the time was only 5.4.0.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I got my refurbed Zelda WiiU from Nintendo directly 4 months ago, it came with 5.3.2 and I was pleasantly surprised. Although, the most updated firmware at the time was only 5.4.0.

I have that same purchase arriving on Monday, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll post here with what firmware it has when it arrives.

u4ick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
I have that same purchase arriving on Monday, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll post here with what firmware it has when it arrives.
Can confirm the refurbished Zelda WiiU from Nintendo is 5.3.2, I got one not too long ago.

Reactions: Maverick Lunar X

puppydg68

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just bought a Wii-U Basic 8GB Refurbished from the Source(Dec 2015), it came with firmware 1.03!! Question is, what should i do with it? Go to 5.32 now? Or wait?

Last edited by puppydg68,

Tesa

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I bought a single console off Ebay (Brand new, comes from the Super Mario 3D World bundle which comes with physical copies of the games) and I'm crossing my fingers when it arrives Tuesday. Considering it's brand new, it's guaranteed to be on firmware 2.1.0 around there. Happy to be able to buy the console, without everything else. Now to sell off my Mario Kart 8 console (Brand new)

You shouldn't coun't on that too much. I bought an original 8gb console from a store which was lying there since years and it was already 4.0.1. There's a chance that he's selling refurbished/updated/new ones so if anyone wants to buy it from the same seller wait till tuesady and check the results.

Reactions: MattKimura

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't coun't on that too much. I bought an original 8gb console from a store which was lying there since years and it was already 4.0.1. There's a chance that he's selling refurbished/updated/new ones so if anyone wants to buy it from the same seller wait till tuesady and check the results.
Im happy to say that the seller was right in selling it as "new" and never before used. Mine came on 1.0.3.
But your advice is right, chances of it being refurbished is possible.

Reactions: Tesa and EclipseSin

Tesa

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Im happy to say that the seller was right in selling it as "new" and never before used. Mine came on 1.0.3.
But your advice is right, chances of it being refurbished is possible.

Happy to hear! Now lets up you get a 5.3.2 game which isn't a reprint :) Can only advice to borrow Mario Party 10 from some store.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happy to hear! Now lets up you get a 5.3.2 game which isn't a reprint :) Can only advice to borrow Mario Party 10 from some store.
Yep got that done, I was lucky that my game store had ONE LAST used copy of Splatoon. Gonna return it in a few days :P
I'm very happy with my WiiU overall, I even got the wii part hacked. It's just one ultimate machine that can play everything. I mostly use it as a portable system, not fond of playing on TV's. Plug in some headphones and Im perfectly fine!

The only thing that bothers me now is the automatic update attack, everyone fears it and nobody knows how to avoid it for sure. So what I'm gonna do is buy a USB to ethernet adapter, so I can unplug it after I run the exploit. Which means the console will have to sit by the router at all times to connect it.

Anyways, you were helpful Tesa. Can tell you have a passion for this stuff!

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, don't take my word as gospel. Looks like they may still have some laying around. Good luck @Maverick Lunar X

475379_1285024901819_200_181.jpg

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

Just got through setup, the Zelda Wii U Refurb I got was on 5.3.2! It also looks brand freaking new.

Obviously, this is not a guarantee that they all WILL be on 5.3.2, but I'd say chances are pretty good.

Reactions: EclipseSin

JaboJG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My Wii U was sent to Nintendo for repairs and they basically put my old casing on a whole bunch of new internals (since the PSU had fried everything they said) and they updated that to 5.5

Bercedes-Menz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just thought I'd let you guys know that I just received my ZombiU Wii U from Nintendo, and it has 2.1.0U on it. Although I'm just one person, I think there's a good chance that others may have the same firmware version. $299 (well, ~$330 after taxes) might be a bit much, but at least you get a pro controller with it and a super low firmware version, so it isn't all bad.

Last edited by Bercedes-Menz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: