Homebrew Are Neo Geo roms copyright protected?

riverchen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna emulate them on my DS, for the lack of good fighters, but im on a public network. So, are they still copy protected?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Not Tom Waters said:
No fucking shit Sherlock.

TROLL

Here's the thing. Copyrights are, by default, set to expire in 20 years. If the ROMs are less than 20 years old, then it's a no go.
HOWEVER, you must watch out for extended copyrights and patents.

Also, might I recommend the excellent DS fighters Bleach: The Blade of Fate or Bleach: Dark Souls? BoF is older, but you can spam attacks; Dark Souls has more characters (although most of them suck) and you cannot spam special moves.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Created 1/1/1978 or after - When work is fixed in tangible medium of expression - notice is irrelevant - copyright protecion lasts for the life of author and 70 years based on the the longest living author if jointly created or if work of corporate authorship, works for hire, or anonymous and pseudonymous works, the shorter of 95 years from publication, or 120 years from creation.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
0ddity said:
Created 1/1/1978 or after - When work is fixed in tangible medium of expression - notice is irrelevant - copyright protecion lasts for the life of author and 70 years based on the the longest living author if jointly created or if work of corporate authorship, works for hire, or anonymous and pseudonymous works, the shorter of 95 years from publication, or 120 years from creation.

Well, there you have it folks! Neo Geo ROMS...ALL of them are copyrighted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.