Are movie adaptations of video-games ever a good idea?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by shaunj66, Feb 11, 2018.

?
  1. Yes, I love video game movies, even the bad ones!

16 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. They can be; if they respect the source material and lore

81 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. It ultimately depends on the script and quality of the film

176 vote(s)
    44.9%
  4. Rarely, but they make for a fun popcorn flick!

68 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. No, video games should remain an interactive medium

51 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I would like to have video game movies made in a certain way: Not mimicking the game!

I mean, make it a complementary movie to the franchise / video game. Have it set in the same universe, use the characters or whatever... but make a it a MOVIE.

Max Payne, for example. Make it an action movie with the dark imagery and with the right "feeling"... but don't pretend it's a game. Make it a backstory that ties into the games, instead of recycling pieces of the story.
    Everyone who knows the brief backstory to the first game (I won't spoil it) knows that it's very effective... but WHY does it happen? Why him? Create a movie with that in depth backstory.

Or Silent Hill. There's so much lore to use, that you can make a great movie out of it. Instead, they fucked it up (in my opinion) by throwing in a mishmash of a story based loosely on the first game, with monsters from the second game... and still bullshitting out a story that clashes with the real lore.
    Explore the worshipers, the rituals, the town, the evil that lurks... but don't throw in Pyramid Head for no reason. Don't throw in "Sexy Nurses" for no reason. ARGH!!! Missed. Freaking. Opportunity. at making a decent video game movie (and a decent horror movie).

2. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    I'd watch a movie retelling of the Metal Gear Saga because they're already very cinematic but I don't think many games will do good as movies.

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    There where talks about a Bioshock film.
    I'd fucking love to see it.

Movie adaptations of games can be quite amazing.
    If they do it properly that is.

4. ToonGoomba

ToonGoomba Sarcastic Super Star

Oct 20, 2017
    United States
    North Carolina
    I remember watching the Super Mario Bros. movie when I was about 3-4 years old, and I thought I was watching an entirely different movie. That was NOT Mario. I remember watching the Super Show too, and I knew it was Mario, but it didn't seem like him. Now that we are in modern times with animated movies and upgraded technology, I want to be able to tell who Mario is in the new movie. Specifically the video game Mario we all know and love, but with lots of personality and emotions added in. And since this is a new Mario movie, I'd put it in the action/adventure genre. Not the kids/family/comedy genre.

5. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Dead or alive has a movie that completely flopped and is ridiculously bad in many ways. But i love that movie. Fighting games probably make for the best movies. They're not heavy on story so they can't butcher that. They're already visually pleasing and who doesn't like a good fight scene?

Edit: Here have the trailer.

Last edited by dimmidice, Feb 14, 2018