Are movie adaptations of video-games ever a good idea?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by shaunj66, Feb 11, 2018.

?
  1. Yes, I love video game movies, even the bad ones!

16 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. They can be; if they respect the source material and lore

85 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. It ultimately depends on the script and quality of the film

178 vote(s)
    44.6%
  4. Rarely, but they make for a fun popcorn flick!

68 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. No, video games should remain an interactive medium

52 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I would like to have video game movies made in a certain way: Not mimicking the game!

I mean, make it a complementary movie to the franchise / video game. Have it set in the same universe, use the characters or whatever... but make a it a MOVIE.

Max Payne, for example. Make it an action movie with the dark imagery and with the right "feeling"... but don't pretend it's a game. Make it a backstory that ties into the games, instead of recycling pieces of the story.
    Everyone who knows the brief backstory to the first game (I won't spoil it) knows that it's very effective... but WHY does it happen? Why him? Create a movie with that in depth backstory.

Or Silent Hill. There's so much lore to use, that you can make a great movie out of it. Instead, they fucked it up (in my opinion) by throwing in a mishmash of a story based loosely on the first game, with monsters from the second game... and still bullshitting out a story that clashes with the real lore.
    Explore the worshipers, the rituals, the town, the evil that lurks... but don't throw in Pyramid Head for no reason. Don't throw in "Sexy Nurses" for no reason. ARGH!!! Missed. Freaking. Opportunity. at making a decent video game movie (and a decent horror movie).

Veho likes this.
  2. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    I'd watch a movie retelling of the Metal Gear Saga because they're already very cinematic but I don't think many games will do good as movies.

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    There where talks about a Bioshock film.
    I'd fucking love to see it.

Movie adaptations of games can be quite amazing.
    If they do it properly that is.

4. ToonGoomba

ToonGoomba Sarcastic Super Star

Oct 20, 2017
    United States
    North Carolina
    I remember watching the Super Mario Bros. movie when I was about 3-4 years old, and I thought I was watching an entirely different movie. That was NOT Mario. I remember watching the Super Show too, and I knew it was Mario, but it didn't seem like him. Now that we are in modern times with animated movies and upgraded technology, I want to be able to tell who Mario is in the new movie. Specifically the video game Mario we all know and love, but with lots of personality and emotions added in. And since this is a new Mario movie, I'd put it in the action/adventure genre. Not the kids/family/comedy genre.

5. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Dead or alive has a movie that completely flopped and is ridiculously bad in many ways. But i love that movie. Fighting games probably make for the best movies. They're not heavy on story so they can't butcher that. They're already visually pleasing and who doesn't like a good fight scene?

Edit: Here have the trailer.

Last edited by dimmidice, Feb 14, 2018
  6. Megadriver94

Megadriver94 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2017
    United States
    I think its not too different from adapting novels and comic books into movies. Personally, I'd like to see how a movie adaptation of SOMA would end up.

7. Old

Old GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2018
    United States
    Rarely a good idea. The transition/adaptation is always going to be tricky, regardless of script, acting quality, etc. (or lack of). It's always going to be difficult because video games are a far more interactive - and often very personal - experience.

The first Silent Hill flick has decent enough visuals & you can see what they were going for in the atmosphere department, but I can't think of too many others that were even watchable, let alone good.
    There is an infamous Street Fighter scene in the film 'City Hunter' that is consistently amusing. Certainly better than that horrid 90s version with Van Damme, and as a 'bonus' we get Jackie in full drag as Chun-Li! :toot:

1_large.jpg

U6mZr.jpg

AsPika2219 likes this.
  8. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Those who make video game movie tend to make the same mistakes as those who make sequels to movies: Most either stick to the same notes and it's utterly boring and pointless, or they do things in such a way that you're not sure they even played/watched the source material. It's hard to capture the personal experiences of a game, that lightning in a bottle, for the big screen.

Wreck-it-ralph was great because it focused on video game tropes, rather than any specific game, and had very human and sincere themes. Plus it was written really well. Mortal Kombat stuck to the game as closely as possible, threw in some "neat" visuals, and it was atrocious (well, fun to laugh at anyway). terribly written, nothing human to connect with, and difficult to follow.

I love silent hill. I love it. But I didn't like the movies overly much. I'm not sure if that's because I know the games so well, or if the acting/plot made my brain hurt (I said "but why though" a little too much during those movies). Why they couldn't have just gone with the "the town is a reflection of your own psyche" angle, I'll never know. Probably either couldn't think of a clever enough plot, or wanted to create a mass-appeal horror flick. But I digress.

You make things happen in a video game, you personally drive the story forward (well, usually). That's a large part of the engagement. So to watch the characters you controlled move on their own...your brain can get disinterested. Course, on the other hand, people really like "let's play" videos (which I don't get), so maybe it's not a huge deal anyway.

Guess it comes down to plot, competence, and a deep understanding of the source material.

Last edited by osaka35, Mar 11, 2018
  9. Condarkness_XY

Condarkness_XY Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2018
    United States
    Where I want to be
    If the movie doesn't suck, I'll change my mind, but in all honesty I not trust Hollywood producers to give a damn enough to make a video game movie any good.

10. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Anime adaptations of video games are one thing and usually not good either. I quite enjoyed the Ace Attorney anime though. As for live action, I don't believe I've ever seen one that wasn't a christless abomination.

11. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I got scared of its weird clunky ending running animation and ran away from it. Perhaps I should give it another chance.

12. Dreamhigh1708

Dreamhigh1708 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2017
    France
    I actually enjoyed the Ace Attorney live action haha... It's a bit cheesy and not super high budget but they really tried to be as close to the original work as possible, and I enjoyed it for that... I wouldn't say it's outstanding but well, good enough haha

I answered that it depends on the script and the overall movie production... which I believe is true... there MUST be a way to make it nice... But true enough, it's not easy to find a good adaptation... Assassin's Creed I HATED, forced myself to the end but it hurt to watch... I find Resident Evil entertaining and the action scenes are not that bad, but I haven't played the games... I've heard they're really different from the movies, is it true ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice