Are most of your emulated games ones you don't own.

FrostyDialga

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Well if you were not born when some systems were out you probably don't own any of the games for it. Unless you got them on the virtual console and even then some games aren't on it.

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I emulate games that I didn't have to opportunity to play, either because I couldn't buy it at the time or because the game/system wasn't sold where I live (If you check out the "Currently playing" spoiler tab on my signature you'll find two N64DD games only sold in Japan, which I emulate, and they're pretty good)

Last edited by AxlSt00pid,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Most of my emulated games are games I didn't have opportunity to play or try..
Or games I don't think should deserve my money for how badly done and lazy they are

But emulators give me the change of try games I never played before and don't waste my money in vain..
Of course it also enhances old games with cheats and stuff (I dare you to play Zelda spirit tracks not following a guide and without a train speed up cheat, it will consume your fun until you are left your head empty)

sniper_x002

Trophies
XP
Country
The only game I'm really playing right now is Fire Emblem 4 english fan translation. I think I own more games than not with emulation, although only a smaller percent have I actually dumped myself (only gamecube games really so far. I can dump GB/GBA games as I have a homebrewed wii + gba connection cable but I haven't gotten around to it).

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually my emulated games are often there for a trip down memory lane (I'm probably older than most of you at 41), so as such most of my emulated games are either titles I've owned in the past or still own (but will probably be hidden in a box in the loft).
Don't give an arse about dumping my own though, simpler just to download them.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Certainly there are a few to be honest but aside from the few that tbh I probably shouldn't have downloaded, most of the stuff I don't own falls into the abandonware category and even the ones I'm thinking of that are shady are super expensive on the second hand market. Specifically, a number of the old arcade games I play in MAME or FBA are either available only through emulation or buying the arcade HW. Less obscure games like the first 2 Marvel VS games(XMvsSF & MSHvsSF) are, at least in arcade-accurate form, only available on the Saturn, both use the 4 MB RAM cart AND are Japan-only

Seiken Densetsu 3, Mother 3 and countless other games can only be played in English via fan translations as well so I feel no guilt emulating those games because playing them in Japanese is not an option. On top of that, often times the best versions of games are actually ROM hacks that correct bugs, improve translation and/or totally remake the games in question so to end my ramble it's a very complicated issue.

Last edited by Hungry Friend, , Reason: typos, added some stuff

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes, most of the games I emulate I don't own. I already beat more than a hundred SNES games and most of them were emulated. For me 16 bits was the gold era of gaming, there are tons of games I didn't know at the time and that fascinate me now. Buying those games now are useless, since the original devs won't receive a penny for that. Yet I try to buy every game I played that is on Nintendo VC.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I started gaming on the NES and really got into gaming starting with the SNES, I still own quite a few old carts as well as original GB games, but emulating stuff is often much more convenient. My NES has been broken for who knows how many years, and while my SNES still works(well, it did a couple weeks ago) I need new controllers so emulation is preferable even for games I already own. For one of my favorite games, FF3/6, imo the best version you can play is a ROM hack called the Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition which keeps the charm of the original FF3US release while uncensoring graphics, dialogue, adding in character class names etc etc. FF4 also has numerous hacks that are infinitely better than the awful FF2US release as well if you want to play the original version of FF4 and there are MANY similar cases. ROM hacking when done well is truly amazing and as I said earlier, emulating stuff is so much more convenient not to mention infinitely less expensive. No dealing with scalpers, replacing old broken hardware or other such annoyances. That especially applies to SNES games since SNES emulation is now literally flawless with BSNES/Higan and 9x 1.54.1 is pretty darn close as well.

I'd buy stuff on the VC but I don't own a Wii, Wii U or 3DS and I'm not going to buy a console just so I can purchase VC games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm