Are "Mario Kart DS" and "Mario Kart 7" really 3D?

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
It's something I've been wondering for years ever since someone said that these two games weren't really 3D but 2.5D, as the first engine of Doom or Wolfenstein would be. Are these games truly 3D or are they just 3D models in a 2D environment?

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
True 3D. Pretty obvious as there is most definitely X, Y, and Z axises.

EDIT: Also, why would it be 2D as both the DS and 3DS are powerful enough to handle full 3D?

Last edited by MrCatFace,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
True 3D. Pretty obvious as there is most definitely X, Y, and Z axises.

EDIT: Also, why would it be 2D as both the DS and 3DS are powerful enough to handle full 3D?
Mario Kart DS has some 2d images. Still a 3D game.. But I can't say FULL 3D..

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just for the record to make everything clear, 3D is when there's movement in all three axis. MK DS and MK7 have that with forwards/backwards, left/right and jump movement, meaning they are 3D. Even 2D textures in a 3D movement game are 3D. Now, as for what 2.5D is, that's having full movement in 2 axis and limited one in the third axis (great example is Assassin's Creed 1 on the DS that allows horizontal and vertical movement while SOME depth movement).

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember think that Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing where in full 3D when I first played them. Over the years and with the developement of a keen eye, I realized later that there were scaled sprites and 3d models all in one. Tricky tricky.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I remember think that Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing where in full 3D when I first played them. Over the years and with the developement of a keen eye, I realized later that there were scaled sprites and 3d models all in one. Tricky tricky.
Are you sure Crash Team Racing doesn't use models ?
1.jpg

I can see the karts potentially being sprites, but I'm fairly sure the characters themselves are 3D.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure Crash Team Racing doesn't use models ?
1.jpg

I can see the karts potentially being sprites, but I'm fairly sure the characters themselves are 3D.
Hmmm. I thought I remembered them kinda popping into existence as you got closer to them. Maybe they are different models? Or maybe I just couldn't really tell because I was playing on a CRT?

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Technically, Mario Kart 64 also wasn't fully 3D, since the characters and items were sprites. But yeah, DS and 7 are absolutely 3D games.

I always hated pre render characters on MK64. I preffer 3D models like to Diddy Kong Racing.

SNES era
Nintendo "we want to use 'classic' sprites"
RARE: "Look those amazing pre renders sprites"

N64
Nintendo: "Look those amazing pre renders sprites"
RARE: "3D models are awesome"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there