Hacking Are latest models still vulnerable to NTRBoot?

Zaphod77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious about the snes edition, as that seems to be the latest. But not rich enough to buy one to test.

(they'd have to either fix sighax, or remove the intentional ntrboot feature.)

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I'm curious about the snes edition, as that seems to be the latest. But not rich enough to buy one to test.

(they'd have to either fix sighax, or remove the intentional ntrboot feature.)
Any 3DS was, is and always will be vulnerable (until new new 3ds)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It’s extremely doubtful that Nintendo would have changed the bootrom this late in the 3DS’s life.
Changing the bootrom would require new hardware and would also increase cost in production for the new hardware. It would have made more sense for them to have done it with the 2DSXL. Which they didn’t do either.

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Wouldn't a new bootrom revison like as it happend with the Wii be sufficient to disable NTRboot?
That's what I mean by New New 3DS (I know, bad naming)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

so, speculation aside, has anyone ntrbooted a snes edition?
This question aside.
Any 3DS was, is and always will be vulnerable (until new hardware revision which might never happened)

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
It’s extremely doubtful that Nintendo would have changed the bootrom this late in the 3DS’s life.
Changing the bootrom would require new hardware and would also increase cost in production for the new hardware. It would have made more sense for them to have done it with the 2DSXL. Which they didn’t do either.
The 2dsxl was finalized before b9s was released and maybe before even 33c3. It takes a while for nintendo to implement hardware changes and longer still for those changes to make their way into the supply chain.

My gut instinct is that they will let this go, but Nintendo has surprised us before. They do take security seriously and will spend heavily on it.

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by zoogie,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The 2dsxl was finalized before b9s was released and maybe before even 33c3. It takes a while for nintendo to implement hardware changes and longer still for those changes to make their way into the supply chain.

My gut instinct is that they will let this go, but Nintendo has surprised us before. They do take security seriously and will spend heavily on it.
I know it was, I am just saying that it would have made more sense for them to have done it then. That would have justified the cost of buying bulk hardware for a new production.
But they didn’t and thus making it unlikely that they will ever change the bootrom this late in the system’s life. They just can’t justify scrapping everything they have now buy all new parts just for the system to get maybe another 2 years.
And the cost to fix NTRBoot might actually not be enough. They need that function to repair the system and they would have to completely gut it and rework it. If The Big N did all of this it would cost them shit tons of money to do so.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Zaphod77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now for the REAL question.

is it possible to make a totally self contained installer? one that does not need any pre-existing files on the sdcard?

as in you place in into the 3ds, boot it with the magnet, run it and you are hacked withe luma in ctrnand.

should it ever become that simple,. i'm pretty sure Nintendo will take action.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

is it possible to make a totally self contained installer? one that does not need any pre-existing files on the sdcard?

as in you place in into the 3ds, boot it with the magnet, run it and you are hacked withe luma in ctrnand.

Yes and no. You could do a CTRNAND setup with luma, but then you can't access anything on your sd card. If your 3DS has an SD card on it, you can use an ntrcart with godmode9 on it and the required files on its sd card, so you can then transfer everything, and then hack it.

However, to answer your question honestly, no.

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country

Something like this is certainly possible but I don't see why Nintendo would take action just by virtue of the install time going from 5 minutes to 30 seconds. It's not like there are holdouts saying, "Damn, when ntrboot doesn't take an agonizing 5 minutes to install, I might just give this a shot!" :P

Zaphod77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean there are people too clueless on how to pull out the sdcard and copy files onto it.

but if all they had to do is grab a magnet and flip the switch on the card, and they magically had a hacked ctrnand version of luma and freeshop with url pre-filled...

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, it's already been done. AK2i is best to do it with the R4i-Gold the next best.

Yes and no. You could do a CTRNAND setup with luma, but then you can't access anything on your sd card. If your 3DS has an SD card on it, you can use an ntrcart with godmode9 on it and the required files on its sd card, so you can then transfer everything, and then hack it.

However, to answer your question honestly, no.
It's doable and has already been done. All required files can be loaded into the BootNTR FIRM file and flashed to a flash card with sufficiently large FIRM partition (limit 3MiB).

Zaphod77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and this will write needed files to sd-card as well?

or write enough to ctrnand that you can immediately start freshopping?

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's already been done. AK2i is best to do it with the R4i-Gold the next best.

It's doable and has already been done. All required files can be loaded into the BootNTR FIRM file and flashed to a flash card with sufficiently large FIRM partition (limit 3MiB).
Where? All I've seen are files copied to SD card of cart and then use gm9 boot firm to copy them over. Where have you seen the files embedded into a firm?

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where? All I've seen are files copied to SD card of cart and then use gm9 boot firm to copy them over. Where have you seen the files embedded into a firm?
I made one and demoed it in a video here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-cfw-install-speed-run-proposal.486831/

And then @CheatFreak47 uploaded their own version here which downloads more files via the internet after the initial hack to get around the 3MiB limit: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ntrboot-released.472585/page-168#post-7637311

Reactions: Quantumcat

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made one and demoed it in a video here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-cfw-install-speed-run-proposal.486831/

And then @CheatFreak47 uploaded their own version here which downloads more files via the internet after the initial hack to get around the 3MiB limit: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ntrboot-released.472585/page-168#post-7637311
So just like you mention in your thread, you used godmode9 and scripts. I don't see how that's different than what I said. You included the files in gm9 versus putting them on sd card separately. Same thing.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

While you're here, could you possibly add instructions to your Lazarus repo on how to dump the files needed? Like ticket combo, serial, etc? Or include dumping these files with the prep script?

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: zoogie and OrGoN3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end