Gaming Are IGN editors just plain blind and stupid?

Truliche

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
http://psp.ign.com/articles/893/893961p3.html

"Outside of Sony's own admirable efforts to keep things going, PSP development has dropped off sharply, due no doubt to the fact that piracy on the system runs absolutely rampant. We can understand some developers being leery of shipping a big blockbuster game when it'll just end up zipping through the Interweb Tubes in a matter of hours post-release, but this cautious? Clearly something needs to be done, and we'd hoped that it would come in the form of a new PSP. Alas, we'll just have to make due with Sony's first-party efforts. Like that Resistance game, what was it called again?"

Are they just stupid? The lack of PSP games has nothing to do with piracy, they mentioned nothing of these kind in any other of the presentations and DS piracy is easier and more rampant than PSP piracy yet it has a lot of games, in the PC side, all you need is to download the game (no extra cost) and you get the game yet TONS of game were showed and announced for PC.

I'm just really surprised these editors don't have the intelligence necessary to comprehend the PSP's lack of games has absolutely nothing to do with piracy, for that matter, neither does the PC "apparent" lack of sales and rampant piracy but one step at a time. It's not like the 360 doesn't have piracy (for people with the right chipset, even zero cost piracy), the only platform safe from piracy is the PS3 yet you don't see sales being considerable higher for the PS3 (it's not even on top) or tons of games announced on the PS3 and not on other consoles.

Heck, 90% of posters in GBATemp could work as editors on IGN, this is ridiculous.

/end of rant

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it weren't for piracy, we wouldn't see terrible news articles such as this. See what I did there?
biggrin.gif

Shinster

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, PSP i piracy is easier than DS piracy. You don't have to buy anything to mod ur PSP to play ISO.

Truliche

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
Shinster said:
Actually, PSP i piracy is easier than DS piracy. You don't have to buy anything to mod ur PSP to play ISO.

You need to buy a Datel Tool Battery or prepare a Pandora Battery so it's not necessarily free for many people, not to mention many people will want more than a 1GB card which can only hold a few games (and can't even hold some games).

In any case, even if all you had to do to unlock a PSP is press a button then it still wouldn't make a difference, PC games are far easier to pirate, you just download the game, install the provided crack and play yet PC games are announced every day and sell pretty well.

They are right to say piracy is rampant on the PSP but it really has nothing to do with the fact developers are not showing new stuff, if that was the case then the DS wouldn't be getting anything either, flashcarts have been sold by the million and roms are even easier to download (just a few MBs, even 56k users can download DS ROMs)

Volsfan91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truliche said:
You need to buy a Datel Tool Battery or prepare a Pandora Battery so it's not necessarily free for many people, not to mention many people will want more than a 1GB card which can only hold a few games (and can't even hold some games).

No, just no.

In the grand scheme of things, the Pandora came along much much later in the PSP's life. There was a long period of time when you could just copy and paste files on a memory card and boot an exploit.

Truliche

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
Volsfan91 said:
Truliche said:

No, just no.

In the grand scheme of things, the Pandora came along much much later in the PSP's life. There was a long period of time when you could just copy and paste files on a memory card and boot an exploit.

Yes but only the PSP Slim is sold now on stores and the PSP Slim requires Pandora.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Truliche said:
Volsfan91 said:
Truliche said:

No, just no.

Yes but only the PSP Slim is sold now on stores and the PSP Slim requires Pandora.

But that doesn't mean the 30+ million old PSPs out there suddenly don't exist...

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if you look at ebay germany there is like no PSP that goes for less than 140 Euros and there are rarely modded ones just some where they say they have "special" firmware.

Well the games do not go that good but still there are MANY PSP's sold and enough to kids that do not know about modding psp

my cousin got a psp and bought like 10 games before i modded the psp ...
and he is nothing like a gameing freak, so i can't really believe that they get no money.

I heard that the Crisys Core sold very well, as long if the game isn't the shit it will be sold good enough
sleep.gif

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all honesty, the DS is indeed far easier to download games for.
1)The games are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY smaller.
2)You just get the cart/microSD
3)PSP needs pandora now, and I doubt anyone still has old firmware on a phat PSP, so yes you NEED it.

Yes, this was a poorly made article, but most game article writers aren't the swiftest people.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bigger question would be why you would be @ IGN to begin with, the only time I read something from there is if it's a short blurb listed within the reviews for games on Metacritic.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Can you give me the first three letters of the word "ignorant" all in upper case? Thank you.

(That should answer the question in topic title)

And making PSP piratable is far easier than the DS.
You spend a couple hours on the internet and you'll be knowledgeble enough to teach other people how to install custom firmwares. That is unless you're one of the small portion of PSP owners who only has a slim.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended