Hardware Are graphics and frame-rate better with 3D turned off on nintendo 3ds?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
So.. Are graphics and frame-rate better with 3D turned off permanently, i mean in options, not just slide it down with the slider?

Do you get some improvements?

And Do you actually, really NEED 3D feature of the console so you can play some game/games?
I mean, i know that there are some games that uses 3D feature, but can you play them normaly without 3D effect?

I mean, like, for example...you CAN'T play ZELDA skyward sword without Wii motuin PLUS (you need that) or you CAN'T play Big brain academy DS without touchscreen... so is the same rule apply for 3DS games, or is 3DS's 3D feature just some fancy thing, so you can say WOOOW look at that 3D :O
....you get the piont :)

Thanks in advance ^_^

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are -some- games that give you better lighting/shadow effects with the 3D off... But most games.. It really just flattens the screen.

But yes.. Every 3D game can be played without 3D.. But 3D can make some of them easier.

Reactions: yuyuyup

back25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I never noticed any graphic improvement by turning off 3D.
It's not needed at all, so it's more of a personal thing.

D

Deleted_171835

Depends.

With 3D off, the following games feature these improvements,

Ocarina of Time: Anti-aliasing
Resident Evil Revelations: Anti-aliasing
Resident Evil Mercenaries: Anti-aliasing
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: Anti-aliasing
Zen Pinball: Anti-aliasing Made a mistake, this features 4x anti-aliasing in both 2D and 3D.
SSFIV3D; 60FPS (over 30FPS in 3D)
Dead or Alive: Dimensions: 60FPS (over 30FPS in 3D)

There's probably some more that I can't remember.
Depends on the game.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Turning 3D off permanently would be no different than just having it on 2D all the time.

But when the 3DS is in 3D Mode, games will often reduce in frame rate because two images have to render at the same time.

BUT when 3D is on, you get a lot more depth, and sometimes it makes the graphics look better.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends.

Zen Pinball: Anti-aliasing
SSFIV3D: 60FPS (over 30FPS in 3D)

Depends on the game.

Ehh.. It's not really AA... But all things considered it might as well be the same thing.

Reactions: SS4

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Depends.

Depends on the game.
Oh my god! that IS a big difference..i mean 30 and 60 fps ...that's double xD
I guess i'm turning 3D feature on my 3DS off... permanently :P :yaysp:

I'm especially interested in "Resident Evil Revelations" what frame rate that game has with 3D turned off.. and on?

..and thanks for that enlightening informations :D

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude.. Yes.. The fighting games have the increased framerate... and honestly... they are the only ones I -really- suggest keeping the 3D off for. Some games Like RE:Revelations and Kid Icarus and Zelda just look much better in 3D IMO

arielp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Depends.

Depends on the game.

True .. Game Dependent

i would like to add:

PES2013
3D on: lower framerate on cut-scene, in-game not affected
3D off: anti aliasing, smooth framerate in cut-scene

too bad 1st party games like Mario 3dland, NSMW2, MK7 do not employ antialiasing when 3d off...

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Dude.. Yes.. The fighting games have the increased framerate... and honestly... they are the only ones I -really- suggest keeping the 3D off for. Some games Like RE:Revelations and Kid Icarus and Zelda just look much better in 3D IMO
Can you please tell me if the frame-rate is better with 3D OFF in RE:Revelations

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
So.. by turning 3D off to get better graphics and FPS you mean going to options and turn it off there? does it work if you slide it off?
In some games.. and yeah it works by using the slider. But I recomend that you give the 3D a chance, Most people I know play with the 3D on and love it. Some games gets much easier with the 3D on. Like Super Mario 3D land :)

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
So.. by turning 3D off to get better graphics and FPS you mean going to options and turn it off there? does it work if you slide it off?
The only games that ran in 30fps with 3D are early releases, most games do 60fps at all times.
Turning off the 3D in the settings doesn't do anything, just use the slider for those games. Graphics doesn't improve either, some games just get aliased and that's it. Personally I play in 3D on with all of my games except Street Figher and RE:Revelations.

The problem early games had with 30fps3D and 60fps2D was that in 3D the machine has to output 120fps since the amount of frames per second doubles, the 3D works by sending two images (left and right) at once thus doubling the framerate.
The only game that outputs 30fps when 3D in my collection is street fighter IV, I own 10 3DS games and a bunch of 3DS eShop games. All major releases like Mario Kart 7 Kid Icarus etc, all do 3D in 60fps

Again, 3D on or off you decide by yourself with the 3D slider on the spot, no need to fiddle with system settings since it doesn't make a difference.

Also you ask if 3D is a requirement, well while it's not forced it does help immensely in some games, in Zen Pinball your field of view increases and it's easier to distinguish objects because of the depth and in Kid Icarus you can actually see the distances between characters, projectiles and enemies because when flying you don't have shadows to guide you, 3D does help a lot in these situations.

Reactions: SS4

RPG Hacker

Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh my god! that IS a big difference..i mean 30 and 60 fps ...that's double xD
I guess i'm turning 3D feature on my 3DS off... permanently

Don't let yourself get fooled by numbers here. The human eye can't even see more than 24 pictures a second. You will barley notice any difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS. The game will appear a little bit smoother at 60 FPS, but that's it. It's not like 30 FPS is unplayable or hurts in the eye or something. It still runs pretty smoothly and as long as you don't switch to 2D you won't even know that it could be smoother than that.

So what I'm trying to say here is this: 60 FPS may be twice the frames of 30 FPS, but the actual improvement seen by the human eye is just minor. In most games the 3D effect is worth going with lower framerate.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
So what I'm trying to say here is this: 60 FPS may be twice the frames of 30 FPS, but the actual improvement seen by the human eye is just minor. In most games the 3D effect is worth going with lower framerate.
Depend on how speedy the game is, a game like Mario Kart would show a major difference if it was 30fps.
But other than Street Figher and DOA, what game goes 30fps when 3D? It's not an issue anymore.

RPG Hacker

Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
True. Games with fast moving objects suffer a bit more from framerate drop than other games. Still 30 FPS works well enough to play pretty much any game without your eyes hurting or anything like that. The improvement with 60 FPS is still minor.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
In some games.. and yeah it works by using the slider. But I recomend that you give the 3D a chance, Most people I know play with the 3D on and love it. Some games gets much easier with the 3D on. Like Super Mario 3D land :)

So you are saying that turning 3D off in settings and slide it down is the same thing? :gba:

What about Eye Strain? Yeah, ok, i will give a chance to 3D, no problem :) but the thing here (on this topic) is about 3DS without using 3D ...haha by the way, the first thing i will try will be 3D :D i must ^_^ :grog:

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
The only games that ran in 30fps with 3D are early releases, most games do 60fps at all times.
Turning off the 3D in the settings doesn't do anything, just use the slider for those games. Graphics doesn't improve either, some games just get aliased and that's it. Personally I play in 3D on with all of my games except Street Figher and RE:Revelations.

The problem early games had with 30fps3D and 60fps2D was that in 3D the machine has to output 120fps since the amount of frames per second doubles, the 3D works by sending two images (left and right) at once thus doubling the framerate.
The only game that outputs 30fps when 3D in my collection is street fighter IV, I own 10 3DS games and a bunch of 3DS eShop games. All major releases like Mario Kart 7 Kid Icarus etc, all do 3D in 60fps

Again, 3D on or off you decide by yourself with the 3D slider on the spot, no need to fiddle with system settings since it doesn't make a difference.

Also you ask if 3D is a requirement, well while it's not forced it does help immensely in some games, in Zen Pinball your field of view increases and it's easier to distinguish objects because of the depth and in Kid Icarus you can actually see the distances between characters, projectiles and enemies because when flying you don't have shadows to guide you, 3D does help a lot in these situations.

"Personally I play in 3D on with all of my games except Street Figher and RE:Revelations." why so?
And... "in Kid Icarus you can actually see the distances between characters, projectiles and enemies because when flying you don't have shadows to guide you, 3D does help a lot in these situations." so are you saying that except 3D effect, there are no 3D illusions likeAir perspective or so... i mean, there where (are) 3D games (i dont mean 3D like popping out, i mean 3D rendered) that dont have 3D effect but they do hawe illusion of 3D.. And i know it's easyer With 3D on, but lets say, for example, my 3D slyder or whatewer, got broken..does that mean i cant play Kid Ikarus or Zen Pinball?

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To add another game: Fire Emblem Awakening gets some pretty heavy frame drops with the 3D enabled, especially on certain backgrounds during battle (overworld maps seem unaffected). I've hit less than 30fps before in some of them (the rainy chapter for example).

The really surprising thing is, is that much of the battles have muddy, low-res textures, so I'm really surprised the game is still choking somehow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb