Are good quality controllers expensive to produce or are companies just ripping us off

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by leafeon34, Aug 16, 2017.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    Looking at the EB Games Australia website at the time of writing a PS4 controller is $89.95AUD and an XBONE controller is $94.95AUD. I've never understood the high price of genuine controllers, but I avoid cheaper third party controllers because in my experience they're shit.

So, is there actually a reason that good controllers cost so much?

Sources
    https://www.ebgames.com.au/ps4-2172...k-4-Wireless-Controller---Black-PlayStation-4
    https://www.ebgames.com.au/xbox-one-225592-Xbox-One-S-Controller-Grey--Green-Xbox-One

2. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    Well looking at the joycons they have a shit ton of stuff built into them so they somewhat make sense

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Well for one, Australia just has shit prices on gaming stuff. Sucks, but eh what can you do? PS4 and Xbox One controllers are $60 here in the US, though you can usually find them for $40-$50 occasionally.

But good quality controllers are expensive for a couple reasons. Quality components and proper manufacturing are one of them. While there are the occasional defects every now and again (like Nintendo and the Joycon issue), they're generally more "sound" products than the $20 knockoff you can buy off eBay that dies after a couple weeks of use.

And secondly they're expensive to cover R&D costs and things like that. Joycons, for example, definitely don't cost $80 to manufacture. The components are readily available and super cheap, especially in bulk. The majority of the cost here comes from the time and money spent on researching and developing the best quality controller for the Switch. Same can be said for the PS4 controller or the XBone controller etc etc.

And of course you also have to profit off your merchandise as well, so might as well add a bit to the price to, y'know, coninue being a successful business.

leafeon34 likes this.
  4. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    though you would think the controllers would be a bit cheaper later in its life span like consoles after the r&d has been paid off

5. Humanity
    This message by Humanity has been removed from public view by AlanJohn, Aug 19, 2019, Reason: Necrobump.
    Aug 19, 2019
  6. jt_1258
    This message by jt_1258 has been removed from public view by AlanJohn, Aug 19, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Aug 19, 2019