Gaming Are Cheap windows tabs worth it?

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im relatively new to tech (my first device really that was all mine was a Acer a100 )and I used the hell out of that tab until it broke. Now I'm looking at new tablets and one that caught my eye was the HP stream 7 that cost 99 bucks. It seems neat as the specs aren't that bad as it has 1.8 intel quad processor, 1 GB of ram and 32 GB of storage and runs on windows 8.1 (not on windows rt but regular windows). So I've wondered how good is it for things like gaming and general use. I know that it is god awful for a PC but seems great for a tablet.
What I hope to play is emulators (I think up to dreamcast assuming that as my dual core android runs it easily with reicast hopefully the stream could do it with nulldc in a playable sense) and hopefully older games like sonic heroes PC,knights of the old republic, GTA SA, Left for dead and oblivion(heard of people running it on weak windows tabs)
Also I will use the tablet for stuff like WebEx,dox,web browsing, videos, and maybe Skype.
Also what are some android alternatives ticuse I was thinking a gpad7, memo pad7 or galaxy tab 7.
Any way thanks!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Gaming is generally a no-go on cheap Windows tablets. KOTOR, Oblivion, Sonic Heroes and GTA SA should run fine on this tablet, and I'm sure Left4Dead could be down at the lowest settings possible, but you shouldn't expect to run anything in the last 5 or 6 years

General stuff should do just fine, though.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your using it for basic things they work very well. Gaming generally wont be good, unless they are emulators or older games.

I have a dell venue pro 8. It works great for emulators older steam games, just dont expect skyrim to run on it very well. Make sure to get blue tooth keyboard and mouse, although it is touchscreen, I still recommend a mouse, it makes certain things a lot easier. Im not sure if dell is considered cheap but last I checked the 32gb model was only $149

I have tried Sims 3 on it, it works but slow load times
oblivion and marrorwind work fairly well.

just remember to get a "pro" tablet, these are the ones that allow you to run normal exe files. windows rt tablets will only let you run apps off the windows store

RevPokemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By "gaming" I'm reffering to tablet quality gaming not to PC gaming. For example no sane person would expect to get PC quality gaming on a tablet(unless you use the razor edge which is about the same as a 800 buck laptop according to what I've heard.) So basically do you guys think it is better than an android tablet. Reason is that I'm attracted to the windows tab is because of the fact it is better for general use.

Also how is Dreamcast emulatio
If your using it for basic things they work very well. Gaming generally wont be good, unless they are emulators or older games.

I have a dell venue pro 8. It works great for emulators older steam games, just dont expect skyrim to run on it very well. Make sure to get blue tooth keyboard and mouse, although it is touchscreen, I still recommend a mouse, it makes certain things a lot easier. Im not sure if dell is considered cheap but last I checked the 32gb model was only $149

I have tried Sims 3 on it, it works but slow load times
oblivion and marrorwind work fairly well.

just remember to get a "pro" tablet, these are the ones that allow you to run normal exe files. windows rt tablets will only let you run apps off the windows store

How is PSP and Dreamcast emulation on it?

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm havent tried them yet, Im sure psp will be good, not sure on dc. I can test PSP real quick if you want?

as for dc, I dont have emu or roms for it, maybe someone else knows though

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the sake of stating it I assume this is going to be full fat windows. Unless you can tell me why you want windows RT (and that answer would invariably involve some kind of business/work or industrial/crazy hobby reason) then you don't.

I will also say 32 gigs is a pain to deal with -- windows 8 is probably going to swallow 10 but the time you have a page file and hibernate said and done (or call it 10 by the time you account for the 32 might not quite be 32). Add on the results of the "ooh, I want that" session on https://ninite.com/ and you are possibly going to be up around 15, possibly more. However I am assuming you are going to want some music, some videos and some films on this thing* and then you are finding things to delete. 64 would have been fantastic for all the ones I have set up for people but hey.

*this might not be the case. You might use netflix, whatever music streaming service the kids are using these days (though if you check the "for offline use" option then it stays space happy), tell me you have a NAS with everything on it or find that your chosen model has a nice USB slot you can stick one of those low profile 64 gig USB flash drives in.

oblivion would be an interesting exercise on these, I assume you are aware of http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes4Mod:Oldblivion

Also as Tom Bombadildo said anything game wise from the last 5-6 years, even though said 5-6 years were pretty low powered by the end there thanks to the consoles of the time, is going to be tricky at best and I certainly would not go into things expecting every one before that timeframe to run. A decent chunk of said vintage games have aged spectacularly (and mods bring it further) so it is all good.

RevPokemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK guys for storage I'm using a 64 GB micro SD plus cloud storage from mega(50. GB all for free )

Also I think I will get a stream for the money as it is less than the androids and accordingly play some good older games and is probly better for school because of windows. Anyway thanks

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK guys for storage I'm using a 64 GB micro SD plus cloud storage from mega(50. GB all for free )

Also I think I will get a stream for the money as it is less than the androids and accordingly play some good older games and is probly better for school because of windows. Anyway thanks

you may want to consider these two things, some windows tablets do not have hdmi out, some use miracast. If you dont have hdmi out, miracast will work for many things, but do not try playing games with it. The other things to consider is some devices have the charge port and micro usb port the same. This means you cannot charge and use usb devices at same time, but if you get a bluetooth mouse and bluetooth keyboard, this will be a moot issue, unless you use usb storage.

edit

after I did some more research I found out that you cannot charge and use usb devices at same time (same thing with dell venue pro 8). It also doesnt have hdmi out, but does support miracast, but if these issues dont bother you go for it, the price is nice tho at $99

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows tablets are actually getting pretty good, but a 7"screen is crippling on a tablet running full Win8, and 1GB RAM is generally only adequate for basic apps and web browsing on a Windows 8 system. Pass on the Stream and the cheaper Dell Venue 8 3000 series, and go with a more reliable $150-200 tablet; I think there're some versions of the ASUS VivoTab 8 (non-stylus edition) on sale for around $150 right now, with an 8" screen and 2GB of RAM.

RevPokemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just checked it out and I think I'll pass on the stream as if it doesn't have Bluetooth or HDMI it wouldn't be worth as much. The vivo pad seems nice but from what I'm reading it says it runs windows rt not windows so that is a concern... Anyway I think I'll still have to look things up for now

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just checked it out and I think I'll pass on the stream as if it doesn't have Bluetooth or HDMI it wouldn't be worth as much. The vivo pad seems nice but from what I'm reading it says it runs windows rt not windows so that is a concern... Anyway I think I'll still have to look things up for now

it appears to have bluetooth, no hdmi and 1gb is a bit low for windows 8.1, id go for a 2gb tab, there a few out there

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RevPokemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country