Hacking Are any PSP shipping with firmware > 6.35?

Merudo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,
My friend bought a brand new PSP two months ago. The firmware is currently 6.37, however he is not sure if the PSP shipped with the firmware or if he updated. He seems to remember having to update the PSP to play online.
Is there anyway to know if he can safely downgrade to 6.35?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Use the module checker to see what generation it is. What it came with doesn't matter, only the generation matters (01g, 02g, 08g, etc).

Merudo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:

Rydian this guide is quite outdated and cannot be trusted. The guide claims that any PSP 3000 currently on the market can be downgraded to 6.20. Clearly this is false: there are report of PSP shipping with firmware 6.35 that cannot downgraded to 6.20. Anybody following the guide may very well brick their PSP.

Indeed, the guide claims that "If you're still unsure you can use this article to see what the latest firmware was at the time you got your PSP". However, the linked page clearly states that "the latest reported firmware version shipping pre-installed on new PSP systems is 6.20". In short it clearly claims that all PSP on the market can have firmware 6.20, which is nothing but a lie.

molh394

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Merudo said:
The guide claims that any PSP 3000 currently on the market can be downgraded to 6.20.
No it doesn't. Instead it says this:
QUOTEYou can use PSP Module Checker (signed) to see what motherboard your PSP has.
Anything up to 05G can downgrade to 6.20, but 07G or 09G can only downgrade to 6.35.
The PSP module checker will ensure that those who have PSPs which shipped with 6.35 will not downgrade to 6.20.

I concede that the linked wiki article *might* be confusing to beginners, with its outdated "latest reported firmware version shipping pre-installed on new PSP" information.

Merudo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
molh394 said:
Merudo said:
The guide claims that any PSP 3000 currently on the market can be downgraded to 6.20.
No it doesn't. Instead it says this:
QUOTE said:
You can use PSP Module Checker (signed) to see what motherboard your PSP has.
Anything up to 05G can downgrade to 6.20, but 07G or 09G can only downgrade to 6.35.
The PSP module checker will ensure that those who have PSPs which shipped with 6.35 will not downgrade to 6.20.

I concede that the linked wiki article *might* be confusing to beginners, with its outdated "latest reported firmware version shipping pre-installed on new PSP" information.

Agreed. Moreover, it is unclear to me if a 09G motherboard PSP could ship with firmware more recent than 6.35. Would that be even possible? Or is there a 1 to 1 correspondence between the motherboard and the preinstalled firmware?

QUOTE(Rydian @ May 28 2011, 05:27 PM)
Also good job on missing the bold, red text right above that.
I did not miss the text. Problem is, many people (including me) have no idea what firmware their PSP initially shipped with. Hence, people may rely on the wiki article to determine which firmware was preinstalled on their PSP. If they do so, they may read that the "latest reported firmware version shipping pre-installed on new PSP" is 6.20, and hence may conclude that no PSP shipped with motherboard 07G or 09G.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Merudo said:
Agreed. Moreover, it is unclear to me if a 09G motherboard PSP could ship with firmware more recent than 6.35. Would that be even possible? Or is there a 1 to 1 correspondence between the motherboard and the preinstalled firmware?

It's certainly been that way in the past...new preinstalled firmware corresponds to hardware changes.

QUOTE(Merudo @ May 29 2011, 03:03 PM) Hence, people may rely on the wiki article to determine which firmware was preinstalled on their PSP. If they do so, they may read that the "latest reported firmware version shipping pre-installed on new PSP" is 6.20, and hence may conclude that no PSP shipped with motherboard 07G or 09G.

Given that we've had someone on these very boards buy a PSP in the past couple of months and get a Go with an 09G which came on 6.31 that info is wrong (or the poster but i'm inclined to trust the regs here).

tenko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to know what firmware was initially on your PSP. The 6.38/6.39 downgrader automatically checks for the module number. If you try to downgrade to 6.20 when you have a 07g or 09g, it simply won't let you, so you don't need to worry about bricking the PSP.

All you had to do was try to downgrade to 6.20 first; if it failed, then downgrade to 6.35. Of course, there's no reason to guess anymore since the info about the PSP Module Checker was added to the FAQ.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The latest reported firmware on the wiki is out of date, those articles often are, my point was I was not saying to trust that part of the article, I was linking to the article for the date chart.

Can anybody else confirm a Go shipping with later than 5.70? The rumors are that production of them stopped, so I don't see why one would. This is the first I've heard of it, so I'm not going to believe it without a picture of the Go with the ID on screen, honestly.

Considering that the risk for many models is a PERMANENT brick, I'm not going to believe you all without proof.

Anyways going to update the stickies for PRO-B6 now.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
The latest reported firmware on the wiki is out of date, those articles often are, my point was I was not saying to trust that part of the article, I was linking to the article for the date chart.

Can anybody else confirm a Go shipping with later than 5.70? The rumors are that production of them stopped, so I don't see why one would. This is the first I've heard of it, so I'm not going to believe it without a picture of the Go with the ID on screen, honestly.

Considering that the risk for many models is a PERMANENT brick, I'm not going to believe you all without proof.

Anyways going to update the stickies for PRO-B6 now.

According to the person who wrote the downgrader, all PSP Go systems can be downgraded to 6.20. Also, there is no risk of bricking from trying to downgrade to 6.20 with the wrong system because it won't let you (the other bricking risks such as loss of power are still there, I am only referring to trying to downgrade to 6.20 on a PSP system that can't run 6.20).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1