Are all Wii controllers(dance mat) region free?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Raiquazzza, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Raiquazzza
    OP

Raiquazzza Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2009
    Vilnius
    Hello. My friend wants to buy a gift to someone - a Dance Dance Revolution game with dance mat/controller. He knows that some controllers (Wiimotes for example) are region free. But he couldn't find any precise information about mats. Only interesting information was about one man who bought a wii dance game(not DDR)+mat bundle. And that man complained that in the description was no information about region. And because of that game doesn't play on his console, BUT mat IS working with his other games. On the other hand when my friend asked one seller from the eBay «Will this controller (dance mat) work with the European (PAL) Wii?» he got a little strange answer «The Dance Pad is for NTSC». Maybe seller just doesn't know about controllers compatibility and that's why he just told a region of the controller. Help, please. Friend don't want to spend such money for a great gift that won't work or work, but not in dance stages and in the game menu only.
    Thanks in advance!

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    As far as I know, all GameCube, Wii, and Wii U controllers (except the Wii U GamePad) are region-free.

Interesting sidenote: NES controllers were partially region-locked (though I don't think it was intentional). PAL NES controllers had an extra pull-up resistor on the data line not found on NTSC models. Due to the way the system is designed, this allows PAL controllers (NES-004E) to be used on NTSC systems, but NTSC controllers (NES-004) could not be used on PAL systems without some hardware modifications. I think some early PAL SNES controllers were like this, too.

Codemastershock and Ryccardo like this.
  3. TWiiT

TWiiT Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    The game itself definitley isn't region-free. If it's outside of your region, either use mods to run it, or get a console of that same region.

Dance Mats, and most other controllers are region-free. From what I know, almost none controllers are region-free, unless there's a different port used that one region's Wii doesn't have, which is very unlikely. So you shouldn't worry about the dance mat.