Are all game updates safe? Also breaking PSN-like icons

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by wootwo, Jun 7, 2011.

1. wootwo
    OP

Newcomer wootwo Member

United States
    For the first part of the question, I've read elsewhere that certain patches/updates to games are based on different CFW that could affect the currently installed CFW. Is this true? Is it safe to install all game updates or do I need to find out what OFW they're based on before adding any updates?

For the second part, I'm loving the ability to create PSN-like icons for the XMB, but I've read that you can't perform any updates after making the icons, but I don't know why or what happens. Is this true and if so, is there any way around this? Ideally I'd like to be able to perform updates and still create PSN icons for the XMB. This is based off of a question I originally asked in Cyan's PSN-Icon tutorial:
    Thanks for any help!

2. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
  3. wootwo
    OP

Newcomer wootwo Member

United States
    Oh thank you. So the column for updates is specifying whether or not it's okay to update on 3.55 CFW? It was confusing because the key at the bottom just says "do online updates work yes/no"

Also, does the update notify you if it needs a higher FW version or just installs it?