Hacking Archives

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AKAIO is capable of extracting zip archives. It wouldn't be worth using with roms due to the time overhead it would add to loading a rom, which is probably the reason it doesn't support loading archived roms.

penthaler

Trophies
XP
Country
tk_saturn -> which akaio version do you mean? I have 1.5.1, and cant extract zip/rar from akaio menu. Only thing that is possible is -> unpacking loaders / wifi plugin / cheat db when downloading from site... (I think, that this one is only possible in this version)

btw. tested few minutes ago (zip file in microsd - cant open, no EXTRACT button in properties, no way to unpack from microsd) - if you have any way tell, i like to learn something new

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
i think there is a homebrew for unpacking .rar or .zip files.
unsure.gif

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
penthaler said:
tk_saturn -> which akaio version do you mean? I have 1.5.1, and cant extract zip/rar from akaio menu. Only thing that is possible is -> unpacking loaders / wifi plugin / cheat db when downloading from site... (I think, that this one is only possible in this version)

That's what I was refering, AKAIO downloads and extracts USRCHEAT.DAT.zip when it updates teh cheat database. Hence AKAIO is capable of extracting zip archives, and considering it's extracting on a DS it doesn't that long to extract a 1.7MB file.

Wether or not Normmatt/ Smiths will add support for users to directly extract archives is another matter, but as zip extraction has already been implemented I doubt it would take much work.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DS doesn't have the memory to keep a ROM large enough to be kept zipped in RAM, so it'd need to be stored to disc... in which case it would take up MORE room since you'd have both the unzipped and the zipped copy on disc while playing it.

So you'd need to have so many roms that the space saved by compressing them makes up for the space of an unzipped game and then enough leftover for more extra games?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
you'd need to have so many roms that the space saved by compressing them makes up for the space of an unzipped game and then enough leftover for more extra games?

On average an archived rom takes up half the space compared to it's uncompressed size. It would only take a couple of games to make it worthwhile. The issue as it always has been with compression is the time it takes to decompress the file.

Even if the roms are trimmed you will still on average save atleast 45% space.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte