Archive.Org has created The Internet Arcade, lets you play 100s of classic games in your browser

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Gahars, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

Physical arcades may be dying in America, where they seem relegated to Chuck E. Cheese locations and musky boardwalk venues. It looks like they'll be getting a new lease of life online thanks to the folks at Archive.Org.

:arrow:Archive.Org

The games range from titles like Arkanoid to Xevious. Street Fighter II? They got it. Qbert? *@#$%! Pac-Man? They caught the fever. Halo? No, you dingus, that's not an arcade game.

Go ahead and browse for yourself. The library's quite extensive already, and it's free; all you cheapskates out there can indulge and still give no quarter.

T-hug likes this.
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Meh. I can't find any of the shmups or other games I remember offhand on that list. It's extremely lacking. :(
    I'll stick to my HyperSpin setup with cardboard box arcade controller tyvm. Gonna build an arcade cabinet eventually.
    Edit: Pics for anyone interested.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Pics were taken right after making it. All those plastic bags on the side are parts for another controller.

cracker likes this.
  3. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Great for noobs that don't even know what MAME, MESS, etc. are or how to set them up — oh yeah and that pesky copyright thing. I'm surprised to see they are able to have games like SF2 without being hassled. I'm guessing they have the ROM chips of every game on hand and the server-side emulators have to stream the the bins from a shared area of RAM such that only one copy per physical set of ROMs is accessed. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Lo-tech married with hi-tech. Gotta love it. :lol: I've used a cardboard box as a temporary makeshift computer tower and 360 repairing/testing area before but nothing that stylized. :D It would actually be kind of funny to do this to a handheld system or a PSX. I want to build a cabinet myself when I could afford the pricey components and proper woodworking tools to build one.

Yepi69 likes this.
  4. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Gahars likes this.
  5. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    OMG FREE GAEMZ

Like really, emulators did that already and its not too hard to set it up, not to mention Vizzed has been emulating games as well LEGALLY for quite a few years and no one even searched about it

6. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    looks cool. such great classic oldies some i never heard of.