Aqcuired OTP, bricked restoring original SysNAND. Help?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by reiyu, Apr 10, 2016.

1. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    I got OTP, but as soon as I was restoring original SysNAND, shit broke.

Upon turning it on, it gives me the "An error has occurred" screen. I also can't get into the recovery menu, just shows me a black screen.

I have an also have access to a Sky3DS. What games have the autoboot, would that be able to help?

Is hardmod the only saving grace for this?

2. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Sorry, but I think you're bricked. I doubt auto booting could help you here. Could be forgetting something though.

3. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    wow, and just when i thought the most dangerous part was the 2.1 downgrade. the sysnand restore just fucked up so bad.

4. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Weird that it happened because well... it shouldn't have happened. It's really rare that I hear reports like this. You could try autobooting into Oothax and trying to run sysupdater through that if it'd even load and pray that it'd work, but if you can't even get into recovery mode, there's not much you can do without a hardmod.

5. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Did you tried to boot without the SD?

But there a high chance that you got a brick, you have to see if broke forever or if hardmod can restore it

6. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    Booted without SD, doesn't work.

7. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    So you need a hardmod, sorry mate :/

Just Passing By likes this.
  8. Ryu X

Ryu X GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2007
    United States
    Hard mod is your only fix at this point. Every step when flashing to sysnand has a chance to brick there really is no safe step.

9. astronautlevel

astronautlevel Finding a reason, waiting for a miracle

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Something which should probably be stressed more is every time you copy a backup from your SD to your computer or vice versa you run an md5sum on the original file and the copied file to make sure they're the same.

I've never seen decrypt9 fail with a good backup, but I have seen backups copied incorrectly from the PC to SD.

Ammako likes this.
  10. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    this could be a possibility, but then again, i never even had to take out my SD nor copied anything in and out upon getting OTP.

might it have something to do with having games on the NAND? i had like 3 DSiWare games on NAND.

11. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    No, that would have nothing to do with it failing.

EDIT: That being said why did you have anything on SysNAND? You should have formatted it if following the guide.

12. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    the guide never said anything about formatting sysnand. also i had those DSiWare games long back when my 3DS was still virgin, and just kinda stuck there even when having emunand.

13. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Another option is to use Teracopy, which has a copy test feature.

In any case I agree that a NAND.bin copy error is almost surely what happened to OP.

Last edited by regnad, Apr 10, 2016
  14. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    if you have the sky3ds with the orange buttons , you coukld try using any demo that has a system update < 9.0
    the list od demos can be found on http://www.3dsdb.com/ , serach demo and your region (demo usa?)

cearp likes this.
  15. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I think he just had bad luck to be fair.

16. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Most of the time that bad luck is because a backup wasn't copied properly by the system, not because decrypt9 failed at restoring the backup.

17. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    well, to be fair, it was decrypt9 who did my nand backups too, and i never took out my sd card even after getting OTP.

18. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    Well, if you followed Plailect's guide from the start, it says to format sysNAND to unlink NANDs on part 3. If you picked it up from part 4, I guess it assumed you had your NANDs unlinked. But, it unlinks the NANDs when you double format RedNAND/EmuNAND so shouldn't be it per se.

If you were using SysNAND however I heard there are some Japanese titles that brick during flashes (I believe it was mentioned in the beggining of the guide). Maybe you had something installed simillar.

19. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    What don't you understand about "bricked"? What can you do with a Sky, on a system that won't even boot?

He needs to Hard Mod.

Last edited by urherenow, Apr 10, 2016
    astronautlevel and Robz8 like this.
  20. reiyu
    OP

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    of course my nands are unlinked. also even if you format sysnand, if the DSi titles are saved in nand, it still won't go away.