[April Fools!] SEGA's Back (In Black... and White... and Red)!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Foxi4, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    [​IMG]
    April Fools, everybody! Yeah, I know - big surprise there! :)

Some of you got bamboozled today, some of you knew straight away, some of you just wanted to believe, but now it's time for these systems to leave... the front page, that is.

I hope you enjoyed the little prank prepared for you, regardless of whether you found it believable or not. April Fools is all about using your imagination, it's all about creating a dream and I figured that if there's a good dream to be had, it's definitely one about the Dreamcast - I mean, that is the system's namesake, is it not? Thanks for all the support during these few fun hours, but now it's time to return to business as usual.

To officially give credit where credit is due, as some of the more keen observers noticed, the videos presented today belong to a fantastic animator and designer onibox, signed SDDIQ in his works. I myself saw one of them last year and I found it both charming and inspiring, perfect for an occasion like April Fools. Seeing that this holiday is all about jokes and parodies, I figured that it would fall into the categories of Fair Use - all credit goes to the original creator. Do watch his other renders - they're all really, really good. His Youtube channel can be found here - have a look, it's great stuff, I'm tellin' ya!

Once again, I hope you all had fun dreaming, now it is time to snap out of it and get back to the usual order of business... that said...

Never Stop Dreaming™ :tpi:

Foxi4 Signing Off!

P.S.: Here's the original joke for anyone who missed it ;)

xwatchmanx, matpower, Gahars and 6 others like this.
  2. Mariko

Mariko GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2009
    Oh, like that's happening! Actually, I was wondering which one of the gaming related sites is going to run with Dreamcast 2 this year. I guess GBATemp wins! That render kind of blows, as well. The fake Nintendo ON / Revolution video had more wow to it, at least up until the point when the console is shown. For those who doesn't remember:

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    If real... Windows 8 Embedded, prepare for pirated PC versions.

4. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I find April Fools Day more and more depressing because I know instantly all the news is fake and often the news looks super exciting.

Also that video was published in January 2013, so all that info in the description that they had to hold off on the announcement quickly becomes BS.

5. the-green

the-green Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2014
    Antigua and Barbuda
    April fool's.....but a bad one !!

6. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I know this is a terrible date to announce this guys, but SEGA's April Fools announcement was the MEGAne Drive - this is the real deal and we've been sitting on it for the last month, hence I don't have a PS4 yet. I'm first in line to get this thing, screw Sony and Microsoft. ;)

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  7. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    That's why I hate April's Fool Day. Yes, its April's Fool Day! No source or source.. Its not real. Too easy because Sega isnt making one anymore and never will.

8. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    We're not responsible for the casing renders. :rofl2: Remember, when the Wii U was first announced, there wasn't even a case for it to begin with. Apparently SEGA's still working on cooling the thing - since they're not using an APU, this beast will require two separate fans, so that's still on the drawing board.

9. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    ok....

10. xcrimsonstormx

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    All this April Fool's news is so depressing because I really want all of this stuff and deep down inside I know it will never happen. :(

11. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

Yes, that was SEGA's April Fools joke. This is clearly GBATemp's April Fools Joke, or maybe even simply Foxi4's April Fools joke. You just grabbed a video a fan made a year ago, slapped a story onto it and tried to sell it on the day where no one with a thinking brain will fall for it. I appreciate the effort though.

12. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    C'mon at least tell the truth. Their April Fools Joke was Rappy Bird (Phantasy Star Fans will understand).

EZ-Megaman and Foxi4 like this.
  13. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012
    B-But they did make a console indeed...
    The Sega Toylet. Its Wikipedia article is hilarious.

Foxi4 likes this.
  14. Kalker3

Kalker3 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2013
    France
    Sega stop playing with my heart! :cry:

Foxi4 likes this.
  15. Seratonin

Seratonin GBAtemp Regular

Jul 14, 2012
    United States
    Allison Park, Pennsylvania
    Happy April Fools!

Foxi4 likes this.
  16. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    Guys, too obvious, too obvious xD!

Foxi4 likes this.
  17. naxil

naxil GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 26, 2011
    Italy
    GOOD APRIL TEMPERS!!! summer is near!!!
    Sega do what nintendont.... yesterday....
    GHANMI what u mean with "• Nintendo is shutting down the CWF for DS / Wii on May 30."?? another april's fool?

Foxi4 likes this.
  18. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012

Yes. It's a lie.
    Nintendo is actually shutting down all of their online services for the Wii and the DS on May 20, 2014.

19. Attila13

Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Oct 11, 2010
    Romania
    Zalau,Romania
    Just got my review copy and it comes with Shenmue 3 preinstalled and an exclusive sneak peak to Shenmue 4 which is extremely limited coming with only 3 lucky consoles.
    Man the console is awesome it's even more powerful then 2 PS4's and 3 Xbox One's in one!
    :O

Developers said that these games come only with review samples, so I'm gonna sell mine with $13,000,000. If you're fast enough I'll even give it to you for a mere price of $25,000,000! Get it while it's hot! :hrth:

Foxi4 likes this.
  20. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Speaking of review samples, we're actually getting one in November this year, it's reserved for Densetsu since he's the only one of us who can wrap his head around Japanese.

Attila13 likes this.