April Fools 2014 Google

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by tHciNc, Apr 1, 2014.

1. tHciNc
    OP

tHciNc Total Random

Jan 14, 2006
    New Zealand
    Google Magic Hand

It weighs just 800g and can be attached to any keyboard. There are right-hand and left-hand versions, as well as ones to replace your thumb, pinkie, cat paw, or back scratcher:

[​IMG]

Technical specifications, check the hand out here.

Google Maps Pokémon Challenge

The Google Maps team has launched a new Pokémon Challenge that lets anyone with an Android or iOS device catch Pokemon. Just launch the latest Google Maps app, tap the “Search” option at the top of the screen, and hit the “Press Start” option beside the blue Pokéball icon.

[​IMG]

To play, you’ll need to use the map to find Pokémon nearby, catch them by going to the location in person, and finally add them to your Pokédex. If that seems complex, this video will explain it for you better:

Gmail Shelfie

Google says Gmail is 10 years old today, and that part is completely true: the service launched on April 1, 2004. To celebrate the double-digit anniversary, Google’s joke this year is the Gmail Shelfie, which stands for the SHareable sELFIE.

[​IMG]

Google even went as far as to say that it is responsible for the selfie, calling Gmail “the pioneering platform for selfies” and explaining how the trend began:
    When custom themes launched back in 2012, we urged you to find “your perfect image and make Gmail your own.” And you did. Many of you rushed to take photos of yourselves to upload as your Gmail custom theme, which you started referring to as selfies.​
    The company has a very scientific graph to back up its claim:

[​IMG]

Yet since there’s no obvious way to share your selfie with others (Google doesn’t like to talk about Facebook, Instagram, or even apparently Google+), the Shelfie had to be introduced. With just a few clicks, everyone can now set your Shelfie as their Gmail theme “so they can enjoy checking, reading, and writing emails while seeing your friendly face in the background.” If you upload your selfie and upgrade it to a Gmail Shelfie, you may even manage to get it on the trending list.

Nest Total Temperature Control

Nest has teamed up with Virgin America to reinvent the way people fly:

Total Temperature Control lets every single passenger set their own temperature for an even more personalized flight.

WazeDates

Google acquired social mapping software company Waze in June 2013 . Waze announced its own acquisition: Israeli social enterprise software startup SingleSpotter. The result is WazeDates.

SingleSpotter’s patented algorithm monitors all smartphone activity to measure indicators that are most common among single mobile users, including Facebook relationship status, multiple vacation and happy hour listings within the phone’s calendar, frequent use of taxi apps during peak dating hours, unusually small food delivery orders, and unusually high frequency of pet accessory purchases.
    This allows WazeDates to alert drivers of other likely singles on the road nearby. You can search for drivers based on age, sex, orientation, and so on.

Chrome Translates Text to Emoji

Chrome replaces certain words with emoji. Thankfully, the feature is entirely optional, and has to be enabled first: if your device’s date is April 1, just hit the “Translate to Emoji” option in the menu.

Auto Awesome Photobombs

The Google+ team has expanded the Auto Awesome feature to include photobombs. In short, the feature lets celebrities make a spontaneous appearance in your pictures.
    To get your own photobomb, upload a new self portrait or group photo with friends, and leave a little room for a photobomb. Google is starting with David Hasselhoff

Source: http://thenextweb.com/google/2014/03/31/round-googles-jokes-april-fools-day-2014/

2. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I can't wait for my Social media feeds to fill up with all these fucking dumbasses thinking these things are real.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    These April Fools jokes are neat and all, but there's no real spark when everyone (with a brain and/or awareness of time) expects them. Maybe it's just me, but it's hard to laugh when the punchline is telegraphed harder than the Zimmerman Note.

Ammako and calmwaters like this.
  4. tHciNc
    OP

tHciNc Total Random

Jan 14, 2006
    New Zealand
    certain people will love the Poketard 1

5. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I swear: it is positively difficult to (successfully) carry out a April Fools' joke on the internet. I blame the bastards of the internet, since the ideas are amazing. Why, I convinced my teacher that the college staff were holding a meeting in our classroom when we were supposed to be meeting. I still remember laughing when he poked his head around the corner.
    True: punchlines get old (in about 2 seconds), but the jokes are always good. It takes great creativity to consistently release new jokes, especially on the internet.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    OH MY GOD SHELFIES IS REAL GUYS DID YOU SEE THAT IT'S SO AWESOME.

:)

The pogymanz one is the only good april fools thing I've seen so far, the rest are pretty junk :angry:

And the Temp banned Sicklyboy? Really? Should've banned p1ngpong instead :angry: Would've been much funnier :angry: