Apps that support arguments

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Slimmmmmm, Aug 14, 2010.

Aug 14, 2010

Apps that support arguments by Slimmmmmm at 4:39 PM (2,450 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Slimmmmmm
    OP

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel#O...a.xml_XML_nodes

So what apps support arguments ?

If anyone knows any please post and I'll add them to this first post in the hope to have an easy reference if anyone needs them.

Maybe some media players will allow them or loaders like CFG, USB GX or Triiforce etc. Maybe some other apps that people just wouldn't know about.....

EG:
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Txt-read
    You can specify a specific .txt to open on launch.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Quake_Wii
    Not sure what they are.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/FTPii
    Use a password

An example EG (for CFG):

RMCP01

This would auto-boot MarioKart Wii with normal settings. But you can add args for video mode, IOS, what settings.txt to load and other things (ocarina?)

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I don't think there are many that do...but I guess more will start now that support is there for end user (it was always there/been there for a while in WiiLoad)

3. Slimmmmmm
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well we "hope" more will.

I'm having a look through some emus etc to see well.. you know but can't find nowt with Tantrics which is a shame.

Funny you should post SifJar because when I posted I remember you made some dols for peeps to load an ID in another topic, and thought "bet he gets asked to make some xmls now" [​IMG]

4. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Hmm, that gives me an idea: It may be possible to make a channel loader DOL which accepts the title ID as an argument. Now I probably wouldn't be capable of doing such a thing, but I think that could be kinda cool, and I'm sure some would find it useful.

5. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    It would also be cool to have a USB loader that accepts it's IOS as an argument. This would especially be useful now that rev20 is out.

6. ChokeD

Member ChokeD The Contributor

United States
    I'm not on the same level as you guys but MMM loads straight into 58 is that what your looking for ?

EDIT: but with 58 loaded its not letting me install any ios its giving me (-1035) error.

7. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    -1035 == downgrade failed

You are not trying to install the latest IOS58, or you have darkcorp installed. You can fix this by using the latest IOS58, or by using IOS236(TBR IOS36 patched with all 4 patches).

8. ChokeD

United States
    I was using Tantrics 58 v6175 and yes it was a maxed out version # ios I was attempting to downgrade.

Edit: it is working loading 58 v6175 when attempting to upgrade an ios.

9. Slimmmmmm
    OP

United Kingdom
    Use TBR like WiiPower said to sort your problem.

This is not what we're talking about here. I'll explain just a little in the hope to have more people get involved.

If a dev makes an app he can allow some things called argument when launching the app. These arguments give an instruction to the app being launched. On a pc you have lots of shortcuts to things, if you look at the propeties of the shortcut it allows some things like for example launch the file full screen or minimised etc. Also say you use word and make a doc called test, then make a shortcut to it, when you click that you are not opening test.doc, but rather opening word.exe and telling that to open test.doc. These examples are not the best way to describe arguments and switches but I think it will help more people understand what it all means.

Anyway, the HBC now allows arguments (if an app allows them)

Maybe you could load .... Apps\Emu\some_emus_boot.dol game_name.rom
    To load straight into a specific rom with an emulator (then add an icon and xml and have it look like VC)
    OR
    Maybe you could load .... Apps\Media_Player\some_media_player_boot.dol movie_name.avi
    To launch straight into a movie with a media player.
    Remember they can support lots of arguments if the devs allow it, so a media player could maybe load straight into a specific folder on an smb share

You can add other arguments too that change the defaults of the app
    Maybe you could load .... Apps\USB_Loader\some_USB_loader_boot.dol game_name.avi PAL OCARINA
    To launch straight into a game with force pal settings and using ocarina codes. I think crap can do similar to this.

*yeah the syntax is laymans terms

We already know that some official channels support launching with an argument because boot opera allows people to launch the internet channel and load a defined url. Maybe other channels support them, or maybe there are more for the internet channel.

Now the point is that the new HBC allows them just by adding extra lines to the xml in the boot.dols folder, but not many apps do allow them, or there is little to no documentation of them in forums. To find them now you either need to already know about them, ask the dev, read through the sources. For most people this will seem long winded, and for the devs easy to say what they did or didn't do but maybe needing ideas from people or testing etc and until they see a need for them ... maybe not supporting any. This would be bad imho.

These could all be made to a dol and then a channel btw for people who prefer that type of thing as long as the app supports them.

If you use the HBC, maybe even power on the Wii into it this could make things very handy. There are a few apps out now that sort or reorder the HBC apps. The the code is pretty simple if you think about it to make a small dol that moves/copies/rename/change a value in an xml. hmm you might want one shows all you favourite nes games, or your episodes of family guy, or....

I'm sure everyone here remembers the absolute "craze" to build channels a while ago, well this is easier, quicker, has unlimited "amount of pages" can be customised mostly with a text editor, or photoshop type things etc etc. But again, only if the devs allow arguments to be passed to their apps.

Add this to the new feature of the HBC allowing you to add custom skins and remember the settings this makes it even better.

But what apps support what arguements ? ? ?

10. ChokeD

United States
    Thank you very much, that clears up a lot of questions for me. I really understand what is all going on with the HBC and the reason behind the new way of doing things now.

It's kinda like having a different .bat file for a bunch of different command line apps ?? kinda ?? only the apps need to be command-line before they'll except the commands from the .bat...kinda, right ??

11. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    cfg supports all sorts of arguments...
    usb loader gx can boot a certain game in a specific partition
    uloader can boot a certain game

12. Gassy

Newcomer Gassy Advanced Member

United States
    I'd love to see ScummVM support this...

13. ChokeD

United States
    I would like to see some comments from devs that are working on converting the apps they wrote and possibly what arguments they have in mind for these apps. I feel this topic would be a lot more constructive than say some of the other topics that are on the front page right now. I want to hear about your visions and possibly try to look ahead for myself on how I could use these new features to better prepare myself for the exchange.

If anyone needs a tester, I'm up for the challenge.

14. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    I think this will exist as an additional feature, not change the way you use the application by default (if no args are used)

As said above, the most obvious one is to automatically load, play, emulate,etc a file passed as parameter, just like any command-line application on computer.

15. ChokeD

United States
    Yeah, understood perfectly, but as you well know there are a lot of apps out there that have way more than 1 use and I was just inquiring or calling out to some of the devs for a response. Who is actively working on what, what are they planning on implementing, that sort of thing. I know a lot of devs like the element of surprise and all that but I had to post something positive and get some constructive, positive feedback going here cause all I seem to be seeing is barf like negative substance in the other threads related to HBC.

16. Slimmmmmm
    OP

United Kingdom
    uLoader might be a great idea actually.
    For those people that like the music games and have lots of nand emu dlc.
    I wonder if you can use an arg to use a specific nand emu (1,2,3 etc) with uLoader...hmm.

Feel free to any args you know for the loaders [​IMG]

17. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    Btw, ported apps might already have argument support... It's just a matter of browsing the code or seeing the original app if it supports arguments...

18. Slimmmmmm
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the tips for the usbloaders. You can kind of have "crap" like launching from the HBC now [​IMG]

The only thing I'm seeing useful with the usb loaders is having different set ups for different people on the Wii, but tbh nothings struck me as that interesting though. It should be handy for some people, or maybe in time a good use of the arg will come about.

Wiimc doesn't seem to have any, but Mplayer CE does. It was actually looking at WiiExplorer that I noticed it. Not played about with that much yet. I did notice you can't directly load anything that's on smb as it times out, but you can load straight into something on SD or USB.

I've not found any emulators that support them, but then I've only skimmed the googlecode page quickly. I think emus would benefit a lot from this.

The internet channel supports a url as an arg (but that's been know for ages now)...I wonder if any other channels from Nintendo do...hmm