VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
apple-samsung-patent-wars.png

Source: http://mashable.com/2011/11/23/apple-samsung-patent-wars/

On top of that infographic, Apple has officially filed a suing agains Samsung in the US for the following:
Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/02/12/apple-sues-samsung-in-us-court/

Do you think they are taking things too far? Is competition really avoiding innovation?
Thoughts, feelings?

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
I think it's stupid how much they fight. Sure, you don't want people to exactly copy your device, but a "Slide to unlock" patent? What the crap? Despite me owning an ipod and my dad an ipad, I hate Apple. They're butts. What do other cell phone makers have to do to make a phone that they can legally sell?!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I think it's stupid how much they fight. Sure, you don't want people to exactly copy your device, but a "Slide to unlock" patent? What the crap? Despite me owning an ipod and my dad an ipad, I hate Apple. They're butts. What do other cell phone makers have to do to make a phone that they can legally sell?!
Make it out of chocolate.

That aside, I'm of the opinion of "to hell with Apple patents" and the competition should be allowed to do whatever they have to to make a fully featured phone that everybody wants. I think the customers are more important than the lawyers of the manufacturers.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

That aside, I'm of the opinion of "to hell with Apple patents" and the competition should be allowed to do whatever they have to to make a fully featured phone that everybody wants. I think the customers are more important than the lawyers of the manufacturers.
There are patents and there are ridiculous claims.

One can defend the hardware built of their device or the source code that fuels its software, one should not defend concepts like "icons" or "rectangles" because they're universally obvious and natural. Apple crosses the line here, really, really often at that.

Reactions: 1 person

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There are patents and there are ridiculous claims.

One can defend the hardware built of their device or the source code that fuels its software, one should not defend concepts like "icons" or "rectangles" because they're universally obvious and natural. Apple crosses the line here, really, really often at that.
I wouldn't say Apple crosses the line as much as the ridiculous patents do, every one has to be approved.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't say Apple crosses the line as much as the ridiculous patents do, every one has to be approved.
I am quite convinced that they're all approved by a qualified team of monkeys.
Funny, I know several people that work at the patent office and they are much less hairier than monkeys (one particular person is actually a very attractive young lady, sorry, no pics). While I haven't discussed it with them, I think the patent system in this country is completely out of control, big companies like Apple just file thousands of applications.
Change or evolution of the system is needed.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Patents need to be more specific over what they protect. Ideas should not be protected, PRODUCTS should be protected. Specific implementations of code or specific hardware design should be protected but vague design ideas just cause hassle like this

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Been following this for a while. I think the folks in charge of granting patents should be required to research and verify that the company seeking the patent indeed DID invent the intellectual property. Apple has been granted so many patents on things that, even on the surface, it is obvious that they did not invent, and I can't think of any real reason they were granted such patents except "because they're Apple".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass