Apple yanks app depicting the dark side of the iPhone

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Ace, Sep 13, 2011.

Sep 13, 2011
  1. Ace
    OP

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    [​IMG]

Early today Paolo Pedercini, the game designer behind @molleindustria, tweeted that his app, Phone Story, was available in the Apple App Store. Only a few hours later, the app was pulled from the store. Apple said that it was in violation of four guidelines, including one that prohibits the depiction of violence against or abuse of children and another that bans "excessively objectionable or crude content."

What kind of violence did Phone Story depict? What was this excessively crude content?

Phone Story showed in little cartoons child laborers working to mine coltran, a rare mineral found in most electronic devices, and workers committing suicide at what a viewer would presume to be an iPhone factory in China. Pedercini's app was a multimedia expose about "the dark side of your favorite phone" -- everything from labor conditions to the toxicity posed by unregulated electronic waste once gadgets are discarded.

In other words, Apple will allow these tragedies in its supply chain -- in reality, that is -- but not virtually, on the screen on your phone.

Pedercini tartly suggests on his website that he is now considering creating a version of the app that depicts child labor in a non-crude and non-objectionable way.

Apple, responding to a request for comment, says that, "We removed the app because it violated our developer guidelines."
    [/p]

[​IMG] Source

Frankly, I am against child labor, and to that extent, the censorship that Apple puts on it. The guy was just trying to raise awareness of it: no need to stomp it down, Apple.

Anyways, this guy's obviously not wrong, so if you can, get your hands on the game.

[​IMG] The man's website

2. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Hope it's on -a certain iOS pirating site-

3. MasterPenguin

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    It's negative publicity, there's plenty of reason for them to pull it from their store.

4. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    It's also censorship. I checked, it's not on the site, hope that guy puts it on Cydia or something.
    Censorship just isn't right. If you've ever been to China, you'd know, you can't even access youtube.

5. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    Nobody can blame Apple for removing this though.

It was negative stuff about phones. Which includes the iPhone.

Why would Apple want that?

6. Ace
    OP

Sweden
    Uh oh, I see iFish in this thread!! [​IMG]
    Then again, this isn't exactly so much about Apple, and more about child labor.
    I read "It was negative stuff about ponies. Which includes the iPony"

I was like WHOA! xD

7. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    What it app amounts to is propaganda. If you want to make a documentary that traces rare minerals from child laborers all the way to the Apple store be my guest. The truth is most rare minerals come from Australia where the union miners are well payed.

8. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    even if he did want to put forward a message, he should have done it subtly.

apple is not at fault for removing the app but if the story is true, then i am very much surprised that this is what apple-like company does

9. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Regardless of his motives, he violated the guidelines for iOS App Store submissions. It always surprises me when idiots are shocked at Apple removing apps that violate the agreement developers make by submitting apps to the store. Apple are never going to do anything other than remove apps that violate their guidelines. If they didn't stick to the guidelines, there'd be all sorts of crap in the store (I don't think apps need to be restricted as much as they are by Apple, but at least it does cut down on malware etc.). If developers are unwilling to abide by the rules, they can expect nothing other than having their apps removed. That is simple common sense.

10. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    hahaha i bet the guy just made the app to piss off apple and he succeeded! [​IMG]

11. epicCreations.or

Member epicCreations.or GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The thing I find silly is that the app went through before it was pulled; e.g. it wasn't really looked at to see if it broke the rules before putting it through.

On topic, I find it kind of entertaining that they let it through and immediately pulled it afterwards. I wonder how many sales it got within that time period?

12. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Of course, but there will always be a few that slip "through the net" so to speak. They can't afford to have people spending too long on the moderation process, or they'd have to employ thousands more people to do the job. It could also have been approved by an inexperienced employee, or a disgruntled employee who wanted to "get one over" on Apple (possibly before resigning or whatever), or a number of other possibilities.

I'm sure there are a LOT of apps that are stopped before they get into the Store, you just never hear about those examples.

13. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    Here's an interesting fact. In developing countries if the children in a family don't work the family can starve. In most cases children want to work. They can't afford to go to school if they're not working and they can afford to do nothing all day. In countries where child labor is ban poverty actually goes up. It's easy to criticize child labor having grown up in rich western countries but for them it may be a matter of survival. Obviously the issue is more complex than the app maker portrays.

14. Ace
    OP

Sweden
    The issue also lies in maximized profits through cut production costs (wages for these people). What's really at fault here is that no one is getting payed enough. They want to work to make enough money, but the way the system is set up, that'll never happen.

15. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    You're not putting the size of the population into account, and, admittedly rude to say, poverty and procreation walk hand in hand for some bizzare reason. The more people per square kilometer in a given area the lower the wages are, since an employer will easily find replacements in case someone decides to complain. It's a viscious circle - those people are, to a certain extent, expendable in the eyes of a factory owner, thus they earn too little, thus more of them work, thus they earn even less.

It's a society problem, not the "evil corporation".